Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#158- Thunder Gray- Palo Alto, CA [SOLD]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, as much as I'd like to have 2 Teslas, pragmatism must prevail and I am preparing to part with my Roadster 1.5 in anticipation of the future arrival of my S.

Photos below will show #158 in all of its glory.

The car has soft and hard tops (hard top is Thunder Gray as well), JVC Navigation head with remote, leather interior, premium paint, and J1772.

Current mileage is approximately 16,500. Battery is very strong and charges in standard range to 186-188 easily.

No dents/scratches/scrapes.

Scheduled for it's (annual) maintenance in Menlo Park later this month and anything found (nothing anticipated) will be handled then--under warranty.

Asking price: $65,000

Happy to answer any questions or provide more photos.

Attachments

• MAPC Tesla Interior.jpg
    MAPC Tesla Interior.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 1,092
  • MAPC Tesla 2.jpg
    MAPC Tesla 2.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 1,039
  • MAPC Tesla.jpg
    MAPC Tesla.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 1,230
Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious as to what everyone is hearing as the lowest numbers that Roadsters have traded. I am surprised how few inquiries I have received, etc. I would be surprised if my price was that far out of line so unsure what it is.

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions-

I think that the market for the 1.5 cars is soft. It seems that the with the recent infusion of roadsters into the marketplace from owners getting the Model S, and the return of leased cars, is driving the price down. For a 1.5 the bottom used to be $60k, but now $50k seems to be the new bottom.

Good luck with the sale of your car. Very well kept.

It was absurdly low. They add a lot of $$ for 'reconditioning' (even though they said that it doesn't need any!), more $$$ for 'marketing' and then they add the profit (to which they are certainly entitled). After all those adds, they still say that they will sell if for less than any Roadster I have ever seen trade. Makes no sense.

What is the trade in value that Tesla is offering?

It was absurdly low. They add a lot of $$ for 'reconditioning' (even though they said that it doesn't need any!), more $$$ for 'marketing' and then they add the profit (to which they are certainly entitled). After all those adds, they still say that they will sell if for less than any Roadster I have ever seen trade. Makes no sense.

BTW I love your interior color, I have a Roadster with that same color but the executive package (i.e. the whole door panel is saddle)- this is probably my favorite interior color. The way I see it is you have a rare roadster on your hands. This is not a very common interior/exterior combo so it may take a while for this to sell. When someone sees this (probably in person) they will know immediately that this is their car. Just keep it for a few months while advertising it. You will get close to your price, it will just take some time.

MAPC - I've been following the Roadster market pretty closely for a few months, and especially the 1.5's recently. There have been 2 or 3 recent EBay auctions that bid into the 50-58k range that then expired unsold as they hadn't met the reserve price. The way I think of it, the tension between buyers and sellers for 1.5's seems to be somewhere between 55k and 60k; I know cars are also selling in the 60k+ range, but bidders only go into the 50's when they have that opportunity.

As qwk says, the market is looking soft right now for Roadsters (I think it might actually be best for 1.5's, though I'm not keeping as close an eye on the 2 and 2.5's). The way I see it, the Roadster has a fairly small potentional market. It expands as the price comes down, but it will never be particularly large. With so many Roadsters becoming available due to owners switching to Model S, it's pushing prices down. As somebody who wants to buy, I like that. But as somebody who will want to sell in a couple of years (drive Roadster until X arrives), I'm worried :).

What I'm trying to figure out - when does the Roadster start becoming scarce again? Or put another way, how long will it take for the CPO and other want-to-sell inventory to sell?

All that is just my own opinion and how I'm thinking about the Roadster market. Too bad your car isn't qwk's color :D

MAPC - Before I bought mine, the seller listed it on eBay for $70k (buy it now). No takers. When down to $65k, no takers. Lowered to $60k, no takers. This was a 2008, 1.5, 7500 miles, still had a year of warranty left.

I called the seller and told him I was very interested in the car and but I need more time to do research so I won't be "bidding". He told me sure, but he had other people inquiring about the car. I know he wasn't just doing the negotiation tactic because I communicated with another person later on who was interested in the car.

So I bought it for $60k, no haggling, just got the deal done. I felt the price was fair, warranty was in place, battery was good, wish it was another color but I'll get over that. Anyways, I think if your car is taken care of, price is correct, all you're really waiting for is the right buyer. Lowering the price will only invite greedy dealers looking to low ball you. Keep in mind, Tesla is not very well known. Roadster is even less well known. When people are looking to spend $60k on a weekend fun car, Tesla doesn't usually come to mind for the vast majority. You just have to be patient.