Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port pops open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About one time in ten (although it's fairly random) when I close the charge port door after removing the charge cable it will pop back open after a few seconds. It happens after the "clunk" noise that you hear a second or two after closing the charge port door. After closing it a second time it stays closed. Has anyone else seen this? Not sure it it's relevant but I'm still on 1.15.14 software, and I've seen this behavior pretty much since day one. Sig #088.

About one time in ten (although it's fairly random) when I close the charge port door after removing the charge cable it will pop back open after a few seconds. It happens after the "clunk" noise that you hear a second or two after closing the charge port door. After closing it a second time it stays closed. Has anyone else seen this? Not sure it it's relevant but I'm still on 1.15.14 software, and I've seen this behavior pretty much since day one. Sig #088.

Hasn't ever happened to me. I'd have Tesla take a look at it. Sounds like the magnet that holds the door closed needs alignment.

Yes, this has started happening to me. I's not the door magnet. I'm on Firmware 4.4.

When I close the door, I hear the normal "clunk" sound. I then get into the car and immediately I hear the clunk sound again and the Charge screen pops up on the 17" touchscreen with the "Charge Port Door Open" message (just as if I'd pressed the UMC button or opened it myself from the touchscreen). This will happen three or four times in a row. I have found if I'm quick enough and get into the car and tap the brake (to turn the car on) it will stay closed.

For the third time, the metal disk on the charge port door has come unglued and remains stuck to the magnet, making the car think erroneously that the door is closed. To charge, I have to remove the metal disk from the magnet so the car thinks the charge port is open. I have to secure the door closed with masking tape until I can get Tesla service to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem?

For the third time, the metal disk on the charge port door has come unglued and remains stuck to the magnet, making the car think erroneously that the door is closed. To charge, I have to remove the metal disk from the magnet so the car thinks the charge port is open. I have to secure the door closed with masking tape until I can get Tesla service to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem?
This happened to my car. The SC said it has happened to a lot of people and it took them about a week to order the part in, but now the earliest appointment they have available isn't for another month.

This happened to my car as well. I called service and they replaced the charge port door. It's a simple part to replace and only took about 10 minutes.

Glad to find this thread though not sure of the solution. I thought I was losing it - sure I had closed the charge port door several times to find it open again. The last time I closed it and it popped open on me while I was standing next to it. It's not the magnet in my case as the port is open and the software warns me that it is open. It is opening on its own shortly after I close it. I'll check with the SC but if anyone else is seeing this and/or has had it resolved I'd appreciate knowing about it.

I had a similar situation.
The Service Center cleaned out the old adhesive and installed new adhesive for the magnet. The charge port door has been working like a champ since then.

Glad to find this thread though not sure of the solution. I thought I was losing it - sure I had closed the charge port door several times to find it open again. The last time I closed it and it popped open on me while I was standing next to it. It's not the magnet in my case as the port is open and the software warns me that it is open. It is opening on its own shortly after I close it. I'll check with the SC but if anyone else is seeing this and/or has had it resolved I'd appreciate knowing about it.
This same thing is happening to me on an irregular basis. Very UNcool! Pull the charging cord, close the port, hear the clunk, hop in the car, hear the clunk AGAIN. Hop out and close the port...sometimes when I close the port I do not hear the clunk and I find that to be curious too.

Had it. Service Center fixed it, quick and easy.

Not so much in my case, but the occurrence level has dropped significantly. Tesla ended up replacing the entire charge port on my car because I was having trouble getting my UMC to lock and connect. The new port fixed that problem completely, but I still get the situation when it will spontaneously pop open... usually just as I sit down meaning I have to get out and close it again. Used to happen a couple of times a week... now maybe once every couple of months or so.

Got that issue a couple weeks ago, the car baking under the sun. I tried some double-sided tape without permanent success. Finally a little clear outdoor silicon sealant did the trick, probably for at least 25 years ;)

Issue:

IMG_2987 - small.JPG

When I noticed that my charge port door wouldn't stay closed I also noticed that the metal disk on the door had become detached and was firmly held by the magnet on the surface of the port itself. I'm sure that the service center would have easily solved the problem, but I fixed it with a small dab of epoxy between the metal disc and it's place on the charge port door. Worked perfectly!

Just to be clear, there are two issues: The magnet coming unglued vs.the charge port spontaneously opening just as if the UMC button was pressed or the touchscreen "Open Charge Port" option was pressed. My issue is/was the latter.

My car does this as well - I unplug the UMC from the car and walk to the other side of the car to place the UMC on its wall hanger, and then by the time I walk towards the driver door to get in, the charge port occasionally pops open spontaneously! I might mention it to the Service Center next week when I get the underbody shield installed.

@tchaimd, I did pretty much exactly that -- mentioned to the service center that my charge port would reopen while I was coiling up my cable after unplugging. In fact I even did so when I went for the underbody shield. They reproduced the problem and replaced my cable. (For what it's worth, I'm now on my 3rd UMC in < 10 months. First one failed pretty early on, wouldn't even charge, so Tesla shipped me a new one. 2nd one worked fine except for sometimes reopening the charge port. 3rd one has a slightly redesigned button, so I'm hopeful I won't need another.)