Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Wall Charger to J1772 adapter?

Tesla Wall Charger to J1772 adapter?

So I know there is an adapter that allows the Model S to use a public J1772 charger. What about the other way around?

I own an I-MiEV. My Father-in-Law is about to take delivery of a Model S (so cool!). His house is a little outside of my round trip range, so I have to charge at his place every time I visit via my pathetic Level 1 charger.

So the question is: If he gets a Tesla Brand Wall Mounted charger for his Model S, can I use it via an adapter when I come to visit? Or am I just out of luck?

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by terafloppy View Post
    So I know there is an adapter that allows the Model S to use a public J1772 charger. What about the other way around?

I own an I-MiEV. My Father-in-Law is about to take delivery of a Model S (so cool!). His house is a little outside of my round trip range, so I have to charge at his place every time I visit via my pathetic Level 1 charger.

So the question is: If he gets a Tesla Brand Wall Mounted charger for his Model S, can I use it via an adapter when I come to visit? Or am I just out of luck?
    I suspect that is not going to happen, as Tesla seems to not like others using their charging set-ups.

A suggested solution. If your in-law has 240 volts in his garage - either a 14-50R or other - consider having your Mitsubishi EVSE upgraded to 240 volts by http://evseupgrade.com. Then with a very moderately priced adapter, you can charge at L2 at many places including the in-law's. http://evseadapters.com/

Thanks for the response. I was afraid of this. I've already investigated evseupgrage and it's very attractive, I might do that regardless.

So, one quick follow up. My Father-in-law is open to the idea of installing a standard J1772 wall charger, provided he can get one that will deliver 40amps, and maybe a second Model S Tesla adapter for it. Does anyone have one they could recommend? What about the cost of a second J1772 adapter? I know the one for the Roadster is some insane $750.00 price tag. I'm praying the Model S version is a bit more reasonable.

Any help would great. Thanks!

I find that I really like the button on the Tesla charge cord that opens the charge port on the Model S for you. If you are using the J1772 adapter, I believe you will have to open the port from inside the S. Not a big deal, but it becomes a little more of a hassle to use J1772 with the adapter than using the Tesla S cord set.

That said, I have found that Clipper Creek makes a very robust EVSE and you can get a CS100 that is capable of 20kw charging. I use a detuned one for my Roadster. I hardly ever use the full power of the unit, but it has been there on the few times I have needed it.

Thanks again for the response. I'll look into the Clipper Creek CS100 right away.

That said, does anyone know if the Model S adapter can left attached to the J1772 end most of the time? Or must you first hook it to the car before you connect the J-charger?

I really don't want my Father-in-Law having to mess with an adapter each time he goes to connect.. IN HIS OWN GARAGE. He's a nice guy, he might be ok with it, but i wouldn't be comfortable with him having to always do extra steps, just to accommodate me.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    NEMA 14-50 outlet as was stated might be the way to go. Does he need a wall mounted charger (or is he ordering one)?
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Thanks again for the response. I'll look into the Clipper Creek CS100 right away.

That said, does anyone know if the Model S adapter can left attached to the J1772 end most of the time? Or must you first hook it to the car before you connect the J-charger?

I really don't want my Father-in-Law having to mess with an adapter each time he goes to connect.. IN HIS OWN GARAGE. He's a nice guy, he might be ok with it, but i wouldn't be comfortable with him having to always do extra steps, just to accommodate me.
    Yes. You can leave the adapter on.
    Model S P85 - Disclaimer: Comments posted are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended for use only within the Tesla Motors Club discussion forums. Content may not be quoted by any third party outside these forums without expressed permission.

He'll certainly be installing the NEMA 14-50 outlet. At this moment, he's debating if he'll actually need a wall mounted unit or not. He suspects that using the "mobile" EVSE the car ships with will be sufficient, but thinks it might become a hassle, so a dedicated wall unit plugged into the NEMA 14-50 would be ideal.

Truth is.. if he can get a wall unit that works for both of us, that would be awesome. I'll confess, I'm being cheap (I told you I drive an I-MiEV! lol ) and hoping to save myself from paying the $330 for the EVSE upgrade. Especially when the one place I go that's a bit out of my range is my in-laws.... and they will be owners of a Level 2 charging unit! It's just a bit of a hard pill to swallow. "Oh look! Here's a level 2 charger! And it's at the one place I actually really need it... Wait!? I can't use it because it's Tesla only! " (sobbing)

This is the whole reason for this post, and the hope for a Tesla to J1772 adapter. Any Model S owners out there who also own a Leaf? How did you solve this?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by patp View Post
    Yes. You can leave the adapter on.
    Thank you patp! That's fantastic news! Any idea of cost? Hopefully it's less than $100 bucks.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    He'll certainly be installing the NEMA 14-50 outlet. At this moment, he's debating if he'll actually need a wall mounted unit or not. He suspects that using the "mobile" EVSE the car ships with will be sufficient, but thinks it might become a hassle, so a dedicated wall unit plugged into the NEMA 14-50 would be ideal.
    Purchase an additional UMC ($500) and leave one always plugged in. That eliminates the hassle.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar

Truth is.. if he can get a wall unit that works for both of us, that would be awesome. I'll confess, I'm being cheap (I told you I drive an I-MiEV! lol ) and hoping to save myself from paying the $330 for the EVSE upgrade. Especially when the one place I go that's a bit out of my range is my in-laws.... and they will be owners of a Level 2 charging unit! It's just a bit of a hard pill to swallow. "Oh look! Here's a level 2 charger! And it's at the one place I actually really need it... Wait!? I can't use it because it's Tesla only! " (sobbing)

This is the whole reason for this post, and the hope for a Tesla to J1772 adapter. Any Model S owners out there who also own a Leaf? How did you solve this?
    Can you ask him why he thinks the UMC (included charge cable that connects to the 14-50) will be a hassle? I've used one for over two years now and if you but the right cable holder (something from Home Depot maybe) it isn't a problem at all. If he needs the extra charging capability the wall mounted charger has or just wants it because it looks nicer or has a longer cord then he should go for it. Most people seem to find that 40A and the included cable are more than adequate.

You're looking for something that works with both cars though. I think your father in law would like having the Tesla cable for his daily use better than having to use the adapter.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Thread Information