Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Using ChargePoint Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nrcooled

P#8946 VIN 03225
May 22, 2012
NoVA
I am traveling next week and I will be flying out early in the morning. The airport has ChargePoint chargers in the parking garage that are free for use to EV drivers. I have never used a public charging station and I was hoping that someone can give me any hints or tips about using ChargePoint chargers. In addition, I don't want to have to spend 20 mins trying to figure out how to use it and stressing about catching my flight.

The ChargePoint app says that they are all available currently and not reserved for tomorrow. Also, I do have a ChargePoint account but they haven't sent me my card yet.

Can I do everything from the app without the card?
Are there any common issues that people have seen using these that can help me expedite my usage?

I am traveling next week and I will be flying out early in the morning. The airport has ChargePoint chargers in the parking garage that are free for use to EV drivers. I have never used a public charging station and I was hoping that someone can give me any hints or tips about using ChargePoint chargers. In addition, I don't want to have to spend 20 mins trying to figure out how to use it and stressing about catching my flight.

The ChargePoint app says that they are all available currently and not reserved for tomorrow. Also, I do have a ChargePoint account but they haven't sent me my card yet.

Can I do everything from the app without the card?
Are there any common issues that people have seen using these that can help me expedite my usage?

Yes, you can do everything from the app (including check status, etc.)

One thing I learned that was confusing at first, is that when your car is done charging, the Chargepoint will report that charging ended because the "cord was removed", even though it wasn't. This caused a bit of anxiety for me. This is just what it thinks happened when the MS cuts off the charging.

In the app, there is a button for "start" that you can use if you don't have your card. If that doesn't work for any reason, you can call the 800 number listed for the location (same for all of them) and they can start it from there. The other thing to know is that there is a time limit by when you must start charging or else you need to start the Chargepoint again. I don't remember whether it was 1 minute or 2 minutes, but it was sooner than I expected. You should definitely have the adapter ready before you use your card, app, or telephone to get it started.

How long will you be away? Will you be gone the whole week while the car is done charging after a few hours?

If the cord is long enough to reach an adjacent parking slot, perhaps leave a card on the dash advising others that they are welcome to unplug you after such and such date/time.

And, just so you know. If you ever have a similar situation with a BLINK pay station, billing starts when you connect and ends when you disconnect - not when charging stops. Three days ≥ $100.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! The car will be there for three days so I planned to plug in and leave it there until I get back.

Is that bad form/etiquette when at an airport charging station?

Yeah, I would say it's not very polite. You might want to take the advice above about leaving a card, but it's a sticky situation because they may be confused by your adapter. It's certainly not as much of an issue today as hopefully it will be in the future, when many people are vying for the same charger. When we reach that sort of popularity, I think that an airport parking lot will not be the best place for these things. Right now, having one there is sort of asking for this situation.

More spaces with standard 110V plugs might actually be better at daily/extended-stay parking lots. Otherwise I could envision a configuration where you have 4 spaces a cube, a single pedestal in the middle, and 4 whips. You can physically connect your car, but you may not start charging right away. The pedestal rotates providing current in the order the cars were connected. This only makes sense if the pedestal is the expensive part. 110V plugs is still simpler..

A

More spaces with standard 110V plugs might actually be better at daily/extended-stay parking lots. Otherwise I could envision a configuration where you have 4 spaces a cube, a single pedestal in the middle, and 4 whips. You can physically connect your car, but you may not start charging right away. The pedestal rotates providing current in the order the cars were connected. This only makes sense if the pedestal is the expensive part. 110V plugs is still simpler..

A

+1 Andrewket - I actually really like this idea. You're gonna be gone for 3 days to a week, or so - so what is the big deal about 63 hours of charging time? Plus it is 110, which is ubiquitous, doesn't draw magnum amperage, and keeps your battery warm (in the cold) or ambient (in excessive heat). Perhaps we could have a thread about where 110V outlets are in parking garages in airports across the USA. I am going out of town next month, and then the following (twice) so I can easily leave 20 minutes early and do some drive through (with pictures) at DFW.

Okay, off thread, sorry - but I got a bit excited.

:crying:

WJ

+1 Andrewket - I actually really like this idea. You're gonna be gone for 3 days to a week, or so - so what is the big deal about 63 hours of charging time? Plus it is 110, which is ubiquitous, doesn't draw magnum amperage, and keeps your battery warm (in the cold) or ambient (in excessive heat). Perhaps we could have a thread about where 110V outlets are in parking garages in airports across the USA. I am going out of town next month, and then the following (twice) so I can easily leave 20 minutes early and do some drive through (with pictures) at DFW.

Okay, off thread, sorry - but I got a bit excited.

:crying:

WJ

I like your idea of documenting 110V power sources, but proceed with care. There was a story a few years ago about a traveler at an EU airport that was charged with theft after plugging in their computer/phone to charge. I couldn't find the story I was thinking of, but here is a similar story.

The airport has clearly given consent when they put in an EV charging stand. A random 110V outlet is likely intended for maintenance, cleaning, and other uses.

A

I like your idea of documenting 110V power sources, but proceed with care. There was a story a few years ago about a traveler at an EU airport that was charged with theft after plugging in their computer/phone to charge. I couldn't find the story I was thinking of, but here is a similar story.

The airport has clearly given consent when they put in an EV charging stand. A random 110V outlet is likely intended for maintenance, cleaning, and other uses.

A

Ahhh - theft of service. Never even occurred to me. Perhaps I should retract my last post and modify my thought process. Zoinks!

So the charging of the car went off without a major hitch. The one issue that I had was that I signed up for ChargePoint on their website then tried to use the app. This doesn't work if you have not received your card yet to link it to the app (even if you are signed in). If you create an account on the app you will be fine.

There were no other cars parked when I got there other than another Model S. I didn't leave a card but there were still two other available chargers.

I just did the same thing, at Logan Airport. There are 26 ChargePoint J1772 plugs there, and I was only on an overnight trip (parked about 40 hours), so I didn't feel badly taking up one of the slots. (I just checked, and 10 of the 26 stations are currently in use!) One problem with ChargePoint chargers is that the connection is dropped after you're fully charged. I had only lost ~4 miles off a full charge when I came back, but this isn't the perfect solution for long-term parking -- though Logan's Central Parking isn't intended as extended stay parking. I like the idea of lots of 120v plugs in the extended parking areas provided, of course, that the parking lot owner agrees to let customers use them to charge EVs.

I just did the same thing, at Logan Airport. There are 26 ChargePoint J1772 plugs there, and I was only on an overnight trip (parked about 40 hours), so I didn't feel badly taking up one of the slots. (I just checked, and 10 of the 26 stations are currently in use!) One problem with ChargePoint chargers is that the connection is dropped after you're fully charged. I had only lost ~4 miles off a full charge when I came back, but this isn't the perfect solution for long-term parking -- though Logan's Central Parking isn't intended as extended stay parking. I like the idea of lots of 120v plugs in the extended parking areas provided, of course, that the parking lot owner agrees to let customers use them to charge EVs.
Once the new Tesla app is available, I would think that between that app and the ChargePoint app you could start it up again.

Things I've learned about ChargePoint:

1. Get the Card - It can save your sorry butt when you least expect it. $25.00 deposit to account required, should cover several charging sessions.

2. Snap the card near the screen on the charger (tap it with your fingernail) to turn charging on or off. Do this *before* you turn off charging in the Tesla or CP will round up to the next hour.
--

Chargepoint updated their iPhone app and it no longer allows you to start the session from there. AFAIK, you would need to use a card or call them to start the session these days. Notice the "Start" button in the old app.

Old App:
ChargePoint_Old_r.jpg

New App:
ChargePoint_New_r.jpg

...bugger. Don't know how to get rid of the "Attached image" below that is too big.

Attachments

• ChargePoint_Old.jpg
    ChargePoint_Old.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 150