Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocar - orange Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Report from "Autocar" in the UK:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/FirstDrive_Summary.asp?RT_ID=223095

It's yet another glowing, if not gushing, report on the Roadster's performance and handling. Most interesting, this is one of the test cars that we haven't seen before -- it's orange! Previously Autospies had some "spy photos" of a blue one sighted near Lotus's facilities, but this is the first orange I've seen, and I think it looks terrific. I only wish the photos were larger and more detailed.

That said, this ‘95-per cent-there’ prototype proves startlingly fast over one of Lotus’s cross-country proving roads. At full throttle it accrues speed as though shot from a giant catapult. Maximum torque (about 195lb ft) is developed at zero rpm. That means its strongest work is done from a standstill, especially as first gear is good for 65mph. But it’s still knocking out more than 150lb ft as you pass 9500rpm, and if you keep the throttle pinned, it’ll go to 13,500, at which point it sounds like the Millenium Falcon just before it jumps to hyperspace. The acceleration is unrelenting and eerily consistent – like a turbo that’s permanently on boost. There really is no way of preparing for it.