Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster's Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the latest on the extended maintenance agreement? Is it officially dead? If so, it's hard not to see this as a Tesla strategy to give their used Roadster sales an advantage over the peer-to-peer Roadster market, or to encourage trade-ins to the S.

How are the rest of you coping with owning an out of warranty Roadster? Are you just expecting to shell out $5k here and there for a new PEM and so on? Or are you hoping that there are enough Roadsters out there to support a healthy non-Tesla ecosystem of Roadster parts and service.

Tesla ranger's are coming out soon to make their last warranty visit. Anything I should make sure they do? Can they actually do anything about a squeaky interior?

What's the latest on the extended maintenance agreement? Is it officially dead? If so, it's hard not to see this as a Tesla strategy to give their used Roadster sales an advantage over the peer-to-peer Roadster market, or to encourage trade-ins to the S.

How are the rest of you coping with owning an out of warranty Roadster? Are you just expecting to shell out $5k here and there for a new PEM and so on? Or are you hoping that there are enough Roadsters out there to support a healthy non-Tesla ecosystem of Roadster parts and service.

Tesla ranger's are coming out soon to make their last warranty visit. Anything I should make sure they do? Can they actually do anything about a squeaky interior?

I haven't decided what to do but I have a year before i have to decide. I don't usually buy extended warranties because the profit margin is generally quite high on such things. Better to be self-insured. But a PEM has large capacitors. They wear out. I like to work on my own cars so I'm still kind of hoping they will release manuals and sell software for people like me. I know, I'm naive...

I sent a note a few days back, inquiring as to extended warranty status for the Roadster. I received a note saying they'd check, but have heard nothing further. I'll ping them again mid-week.

It's my understanding that there will be an extended warranty offering for current Roadster owners - separated between battery and 'rest of car'. But until something is released, it's all unofficial.

I sent a note a few days back, inquiring as to extended warranty status for the Roadster. I received a note saying they'd check, but have heard nothing further. I'll ping them again mid-week.

It's my understanding that there will be an extended warranty offering for current Roadster owners - separated between battery and 'rest of car'. But until something is released, it's all unofficial.

Is Tesla going to announce a new battery pack for Roadster?

For reference, here's the cost of extended service agreement (ESA) for pre-owned Roadsters from Tesla (a 1 year/12,000 ESA is included; this is on top of the original warranty if it hasn't expired):
Tesla is breaking out battery and vehicle warranties into two separate payments, with the 1-year/12,000-mile warranty carrying a price tag of $3,000 for the battery and $3,000 for the vehicle. For a 2-year/24,000-mile warranty, you’ll be plunking down $9,500 for both, and a 3-year/36,000-mile extension will set you back a whopping $12,500 to cover the battery and the vehicle.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/10/used-tesla-roadster/

From what I'm reading in Aspirant's original post, it's not being offered to existing owners (only to those buying Tesla pre-owned vehicles)?

Last edited:
From what I'm reading in Aspirant's original post, it's not being offered to existing owners (only to those buying Tesla pre-owned vehicles)?

Various Tesla employees previously said it would be available to existing owners when they announced the pricing. Hopefully they will keep their word on that.

I'm hoping to do most of my own work on the car but that will require software and other tools be made available from Tesla.

I inquired about the Roadster extended warranty for existing owners & just received permission to share:

• NY, FL & WA: Info to come in a month or so
  • NM & CT: Before year end when when service centers are opened in these states
  • OK: Not for the foreseeable future
  • All other states not listed above: The extended warranty program should be posted on Tesla Motor's website by the end of next week.

I do not have pricing information. We'll have to wait for that. I'm sure that the various states have different status because of the legal requirements associated with extended warranties. I'm guessing (don't know) that the extended warranties will be part of a prepaid maintenance package.

... they're making it really hard for me to turn in my Roadster when the X becomes available. I might have to keep it. ... Darn. ...It.

The next few Tesla models will all share the same drivetrain components and will be much cheaper to manufacture. It seems like everyone is dropping their Roadster with the Model S and Model X on the horizon. Its been a good ride for the Roadster but it looks like its days are numbered. :TAPS playing:

The next few Tesla models will all share the same drivetrain components and will be much cheaper to manufacture. It seems like everyone is dropping their Roadster with the Model S and Model X on the horizon. Its been a good ride for the Roadster but it looks like its days are numbered. :TAPS playing:

You have no data to back this wild speculation.

... Its been a good ride for the Roadster but it looks like its days are numbered. :TAPS playing:

From what I can see just the opposite is happening. I know several Roadster owners who bought their cars with full intention to sell or trade it when the MS was available who have since changed their minds. Some of us simply fell in love with the Roadster and can't imagine selling it even though it was originally purchased to bridge the gap to a different EV.

If any of you Roadster owners agree with PRJIM and your vehicle is in good condition, I'll take it off your hands for $20k. :)

Its been a good ride for the Roadster but it looks like its days are numbered. :TAPS playing:

The future for my roadster is that I'm gonna keep on driving it, and enjoying life with it, every day.

Today, it is a beautiful car with amazing performance, even without 'upgrades'.

It may not be the most 'practical' car for me (as a father of 3 small kids), but as one owner said to me:

I'd rather drive my roadster back from the supermarket with shopping bags on my lap, than my Prius with the bags in the trunk!