Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 129

Thread: Roadster's Future

  1. #61
    Roadster F#25 pharma5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    central NJ
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Smop View Post
    The guy that took over for Joost is a Model S guy through and through.
    This doesn't have to be a bad thing.

    I imagine a small, dedicated skunkworks team handed an empty Roadster glider and tasked with filling it sucessfully with as much of the Model S (or Gen III) parts as possible in order to make it go... seems like a way to test components, simplify future support / parts supply chain, and hit Roadster improvements all at the same time. Just sayin'.

  2. #62
    Roadster Sports 835 & 972 ipdamages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    You probably won't like the price target, but know that there is definitely a bottom to the market that many people (including myself) would consider buying just for the collectible aspect. Unless they crush them, the Roadsters won't be going away.
    I'm currently looking at buying another Roadster - this one for my wife. We are nearing the point that a Roadster is an alternative to the Volt and Leaf. As some say, at the price, there is a market for anything. I sense that we are nearing that point with the Roadster.

  3. #63
    ERIC VFX vfx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CA CA
    Posts
    14,795
    Quote Originally Posted by pharma5 View Post
    ...

    I imagine a small, dedicated skunkworks team handed an empty Roadster glider ...
    Joost was the skunkworks.

  4. #64
    Roadster F#25 pharma5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    central NJ
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by vfx View Post
    Joost was the skunkworks.
    Did Joost ruffle too many feathers there - too much too soon?

    I would think there are Roadster advocates with longer tenure (even with substantial turnover), but it's hard to tell anything from over on this coast. Some of you got to meet Joost, and get to rub elbows with people in Menlo... what have you all seen and heard?

    And with TESLIVE coming up, I would think one of the best functions of such a conference is to get a little guidance on matters like the vision on the Roadster's future, since it's obviously not going to be high on TSLA's list of daily talking points with all the other stuff they need to do in the next 12 months.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ipdamages View Post
    We are nearing the point that a Roadster is an alternative to the Volt and Leaf.
    This is a pretty compelling argument even at ~$55k on lightly used Roadsters, as long as the car is adequately supported going forward. When the Leaf or Volt is in the shop, I don't know what the loaner looks like... with the Roadster, you get a Model S (!) loaner, or perhaps another Roadster.

    I would also think no one is buying a Lotus in the U.S. right now unless they really, really, want the petrol...

  5. #65
    Roadster Sports 835 & 972 ipdamages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by pharma5 View Post
    And with TESLIVE coming up, I would think one of the best functions of such a conference is to get a little guidance on matters like the vision on the Roadster's future, since it's obviously not going to be high on TSLA's list of daily talking points with all the other stuff they need to do in the next 12 months.

    This is a pretty compelling argument even at ~$55k on lightly used Roadsters, as long as the car is adequately supported going forward. When the Leaf or Volt is in the shop, I don't know what the loaner looks like... with the Roadster, you get a Model S (!) loaner, or perhaps another Roadster.
    I also look forward to hearing what is said at Teslive about the Roadster's future. Especially the pack/motor/? upgrade.

    At these prices the i3 will also lose sales, methinks.

  6. #66
    Roadster F#25 pharma5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    central NJ
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by ipdamages View Post
    At these prices the i3 will also lose sales, methinks.
    Agree.

    A bit OT, but upon very cursory check I don't see how they expect to sell i3 at ~$40k(?) with a range of 99 miles(?), whenever it's finally actually available:
    http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/...-release-date/

    Can't even compare that to a buy-it-now of $55k on a Roadster. No contest!

    (And if the $ are just too high, a Leaf or Volt is better...).

  7. #67
    mod squad TEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    15,485
    There will amost certainly be a session to discuss this topic at TESLIVE.
    Yes, I have heard that ongoing support is likely to end up being more in the "grassroots" category than "official factory".
    Let's hope that the aftermarket develops an interest in the small remaining Roadster community.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

  8. #68
    Roadster Sports 835 & 972 ipdamages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    There will amost certainly be a session to discuss this topic at TESLIVE.
    Yes, I have heard that ongoing support is likely to end up being more in the "grassroots" category than "official factory".
    Let's hope that the aftermarket develops an interest in the small remaining Roadster community.
    That's an interesting angle and probably explains to some extent the seemingly greater amount of collaboration and outreach between Tesla Motors and aftermarket companies like Teslaccessories and Al & Ed's.

    Of course, as others have said, we can't expect companies to do things that aren't profitable for them, and aftermarket companies don't have as much to lose as Tesla does if we all get left in the lurch like Fisker owners.

    I don't really expect much altruism or money lost on Roadster projects and support out of a sense of loyalty to us, but as a business decision leaving us out to dry, with our cars falling precipitously in value without support, would be unwise. A big drain on shareholder value. And they know that.

  9. #69
    mod squad TEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    15,485
    Quote Originally Posted by pharma5 View Post
    ...I would think there are Roadster advocates with longer tenure (even with substantial turnover), but it's hard to tell anything from over on this coast. Some of you got to meet Joost, and get to rub elbows with people in Menlo... what have you all seen and heard?
    ...

    Even if there are people with the knowledge and interest, if they are so busy working on Model S programs, they may not have the time to work on old Roadster projects.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

  10. #70
    Burrito Founder brianman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    TMC.com
    Posts
    12,550
    Quote Originally Posted by ipdamages View Post
    Of course, as others have said, we can't expect companies to do things that aren't profitable for them, and aftermarket companies don't have as much to lose as Tesla does if we all get left in the lurch like Fisker owners.
    In that vein, sometimes it can be profitable for an aftermarket supplier to offer modifications whereas "official OEM" modifications are legally and/or politically prohibitively expensive.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

    PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The future is here!
    By goyogi in forum Electric Vehicles
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 2012-10-01, 12:02 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2012-01-25, 03:09 PM
  3. future Roadster resale value?
    By raymond in forum Roadster
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2009-08-27, 06:45 PM
  4. The Future of EVs
    By vfx in forum Electric Vehicles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2009-04-08, 01:27 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2007-08-12, 11:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •