Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License Plate Bulb replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I really do not like on Model S (and my other previous cars) is that the license plate is illuminated by yellowish incandescent bulbs while the rest of car is total LED.

As anyone replaced them with something whiter (LEDs or superwhite bulbs)? Also, what's the bulb type?

As anyone replaced them with something whiter (LEDs or superwhite bulbs)? Also, what's the bulb type?

Last week I went over looking at every LED I could find on the Model S to get a lamp count, and noticed this too. I suspect they either couldn't source a LED bulb in time, the LEDs had directional problems, or ones they got were unsatisfactory in some other way, so they went with incandescent. It's a 36mm Festoon bulb. My 2007 LS460 has LEDs for the license plate, so it was surprising to see this on the Tesla.

I'll likely replace mine too. Strange that such a minor thing is bothersome, but no reflection on Tesla - the incandescent does actually work. If this is the only complaint, they are doing a hell of a job!

Yes, I have replaced my license plate bulbs in my Model S with LEDs. The bulbs are 36mm Festoon type (long skinny). I bought a pair of LEDs from eBay. The only "issue" I had was that the LEDs were 1.5W each and produced way more light than the stock bulbs. Since they are unidirectional, I rotated them a little. I've since ordered some LED bulbs that are 1W each - unfortunately, my car is being serviced and I can't replace the bulbs with the 1W ones yet. Here is a link to the 1W bulbs I bought:

2 Super Bright White LED License Plate Lights 1.5" Festoon 6418 C5W 1 WATT

You need to be careful with these LEDs, since they have a metal body. The clips in the license plate light housing that hold them could potentially short out. I covered the LED light housing ends with electrical tape which was appropriately hollow punched.
2013-01-09 15.39.20.jpg
2013-01-09 15.43.35.jpg

2013-01-09 15.32.44.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: .jg.
As they were loading my model S on the flatbed for its trip to Chicago, I was surprised myself to note the incandescent bulb and began my own hunt for replacements. Thanks araxara!

Was there a clear plate over that location?
Yes. That's a picture of the LED light mounted in the housing. There is a clear water tight cover that is screwed into place. I was just trying to show the LED held into the clips (which can cause a short if the bulb is not properly insulated). Actually, when removing the clear housing, there are plastic clips on the housing that clip to the ends of the bulb and make it easier to remove.

Here is an image with the LED bulb held in place by the plastic clips. Note that there is no insulation installed yet on the bulb ends:
2013-01-09 15.13.45.jpg

Would you mind showing a pic with the insulation on?
araxara, could you show a photo of exactly where you put the electrical tape? I'm a tad confused about what contact areas are of concern.
Sorry for the confusion. I've updated the photos on the original reply.

My shorting concern is probably overblown: Both pins are insulated from the body (checked this visually and with a continuity meter). If the LEDs were to slide on the clips that hold them in place, one of the clips would touch the body. But the other clip would be sufficiently away from the body, so there is no shorting potential. I just wanted the peace of mind.

Here is a more detailed image of the LED bulb (1 Watt bulb shown) which may help illustrate the problem:
LED Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. I've updated the photos on the original reply.

My shorting concern is probably overblown: Both pins are insulated from the body (checked this visually and with a continuity meter). If the LEDs were to slide on the clips that hold them in place, one of the clips would touch the body. But the other clip would be sufficiently away from the body, so there is no shorting potential. I just wanted the peace of mind.

Here is a more detailed image of the LED bulb (1 Watt bulb shown) which may help illustrate the problem:
View attachment 14506
Ok, that's kind of what I thought you were saying and it makes sense to add a little extra insulation. The new photos really clarify that quite a lot. Thank you very much. I've ordered the 1W bulbs and look forward to installing them.

The link provided by Araxara indicates these are 1W bulbs in the heading. However, reading the specs in the ad states they are 2W each. Has anyone received these bulbs yet to confirm their actual wattage, and whether the brightness is correct? Thanks.

Since there are two bulbs required, you should gain 16 W (10W - 2W)*2 = 16 W. This means you get 2 miles per 37.5 hours of driving!

Or at $0.14/KW hour for electricity, you'll save $8.75 for every 1000 hours your lights are on.

These are the kinds of big savings I live for! Use 1W bulbs and save even more (although not much more).