Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A little charge cord routing issue I'm trying to solve... help anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I have a two-car garage, with a new 14-50 installation on the right wall (facing in, as reference). The S will go into the right position, but of course the cord will be extended from the 'wrong' side over to the driver side. I'm concerned about two issues: a). cord being laid on the car or on the ground under it; and, b). being able to easily disconnect my UMC when I leave for longer trips. I was unable to get the outlet closer or even extended very well because the garage door is a single across the entire bay, and therefore there's no center post to attach to our even use as a temp location for a (dreaded and not recommended, even at 3/6) extension cord...

I have thought up a method, and want some review/criticism: the solution for me would be a segment of conduit (or ?) bent to allow it to swing out, over the car and under the garage door - it would when extended put the end of either the UMC or an extension cord (see above) directly above or near the charge port. When not needed it would swivel back against the wall. Here's the idea:

chargewand1.JPG

Here's an overhead view as well... forgive the low quality drawings.

chargewand2.JPG

Here is a shot of my setup. When the cord is plugged in, I have one loop left on the hanger and the rest lies on the floor behind my S. If the space between the wall where your outlet is located and where your car will be parked is not more than 3 feet I would think there shouldn't be a problem. I always connect and disconnect with the garage door open so moving behind the vehicle is never an issue.

IMG_0449.JPG

Solutions have been discussed in various threads. Search for ceiling \ tool balancer \ reel in TMC

I have the same garage setup as yours and plan to have my 14-50 installed on the ceiling and use a tool balancer to keep the UMC cord hanging out of the way...

My preferred solution : Ckessel setup

More details on my garage setup for FlasherZ :
- my double car garage (single door) length is very close to Model S total length which means I have to park it on the right side since the door leading to the home is on the left side, we will keep the shorter car on the left.
- my house is the first in a row of town houses and each garage is accessed from an underground alley.
- Therefore I have to make a 90* right turn right after entering the alley to turn into my garage, it is a lot easier to go nose first and back out when going out when using the rightmost parking spot.
- in the winter my garage floor is covered with salt/slow/dirt/etc almost every day, therefore I don't want the cord to lay on the ground
- on top of that, my garage door is connected to the alarm system, meaning you have to be in and out in under 2 minutes...

This means the charging port will be in the center of the garage, in between both cars, so I want an easy to reach an quick out of the way solution, hence the ceiling.

I would bet/wish future models from Tesla will correct this design bug/feature and have the charging port on the right of the vehicule...

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just too simple... my (temporary) 14-50 is on the right side of the car (meant for the next bay) and I just uncoil it and put it on the floor, then coil it back up. :)

Maybe I'm just too simple... my (temporary) 14-50 is on the right side of the car (meant for the next bay) and I just uncoil it and put it on the floor, then coil it back up. :)

right??!

i mean, i installed my 14-50 at the top of the garage wall, bout 6' off the ground, and then zip tied the mc to the 1" flex conduit i used for the 14-50, then have a small hose hanger on the wall right near the car where the charge port is -- when i charge i just unhook a couple coils and plug in. my mc never actually touches the ground because i planned it that way... but honestly, the mc is plenty tough, it can take a little garage floor. even, i'd be willing to bet, a tesla rolling over it everyday if need be. it's just big stranded copper wires in there, they've been known to last decades under the same duty. (..obviously keep the connector/plug itself off the ground and free of dirt and don't roll over the cable near the plug, etc etc.....)*

ALSO, i need to say this cause i've read a few times how having the charge port on the driver side is 'a design flaw' and whatnot... there are many vehicles with the gas 'charge port' on the driver side. it's a manufacturer preference, and not a set standard. perhaps it should be, but frankly i am very happy where my charge port is. when i put my res in on the model s i checked the specs, decided sometime shortly after where and how i'd wire up the charge cable.. i had more than 3 years to think about how to do it... i would think others had too... i don't understand all this incredulity and frustration about where the charge port is. we've all know where it was going to be for years..... there may be some poor planning involved here, but it doesn't seem to be on tesla's part.....

/rant

*and there's always stuff like this....

Last edited:
garage.jpg

I would bet/wish future models from Tesla will correct this design bug/feature and have the charging port on the right of the vehicule...

I hope not - it depends on your setup - left side is ideal for me. I park in the middle bay of my detached 3 car garage and exit through the main door. I walk right by my charge port as I enter and exit the garage.