Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Industrial Electric Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA

A new thread for the massive Industrial Electric Vehicle industry that surrounds us but we may not even know it.

Every time I go to Burbank airport I take a picture of the charging stations that are just outside the window where you stand in line at the gate.

The cables are huge (perhaps 2 to 3 inches dia They hang on big metal "T" framework and when you pull on the massive cord it is tied to a rope that counterbalences with weights or a spring (a big version of a ceiling cord reel) to assist managing them to the vehicles. (Can you say 400amp quick charge?)

These are big luggage vehicles (I mean big) and some other unidentified Airport "trucks"

When I see them I am always reminded there is an Electric Vehicle industry that supports us in the background.

Forklifts, milk floats, golf carts, are just some of a billion dollar industry (Ok, I made that # up but I believe it's actually a small #) There are industry magazines, websites and organizations that support Industrial Electric vehicles.

Some of these genes will make their way "bottom up" into our future EVs. So, to pay tribute to our electro-embrionic roots here is an initial offering to get the ball rolling.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/electricvehicleguide/archives/141183.asp

And there is this:
http://www.sae.org/ohmag/techinnovations/06-2008/11-16-4-8.pdf

Balqon - Advanced Transportation Solution

The E20

Balqon Corporation Model Nautilus E-20 is an all electric Terminal Tractor that can carry loads up to 60,000 lb. with a range of 40 miles on a single charge. The vehicle is equipped with fast charge system to allow vehicle to be fully charged in 30-45 minutes. Model E-20 is designed to transport containers at shipping ports and large warehouses
e20banner.jpg

Highlights
Zero Emission Terminal Tractor
30 Ton cargo towing capacity
60 Miles on single charge
Over 70% in Fuel Cost Saving
Over 60% savings in Maintenance

Also check out the M150

Balqon’s Mule M150 is designed for short-haul on-highway routes in inner cities, port facilities and airports for the distribution of goods and cargo.
Interesting evolution of their lower-speed, but higher capacity Nautilius trucks. Looks like a perfect delivery truck for cities.

I am curious about a couple of things.

First, the Li-Ion pack has a whopping capacity of 280 kWh, but claimed range is "only" 150 miles unloaded and 90 fully-loaded. I quoted 'only', because ~100 mile working range is probably more than sufficient for intended applications. It's just that 2.8 kWh/mile consumption is surprising (roughly 10x more than the Roadster). Perhaps a much smaller portion of the pack is used?

Second, a 6-speed transmission is utilized. With max torque available at low RPM, which is a critical performance characteristic for freight-hauling vehicles, and relatively low top speed (50 mph) this again is a bit of a surprise. Maybe their "rugged" motor is only capable of lower RPM range. Do they need to talk to Tesla about motor tech :cool: ?

On the other hand, charging tech is top-notch:
The battery charger is a 100 kW multi-vehicle fast charger—4 charging ports are standard. The system uses a priority smart charge algorithm based on vehicle state of charge. There is 60 kW max output at each charge port. The battery pack requires a 6 hour charge time from 80% depth of discharge at 480 VAC, 3 phase input voltage.

Lets say a gas truck gets 6MPG, but an Elise gets 30MPG.

30MPG/6MPG=factor of 5
2800Wh/mile / 280Wh/mile = factor of 10

It does seem like they should be able to do better.
Perhaps they haven't efficiency optimized as much as Tesla?
Low rolling resistance tires? Low resistance wheel bearings? Low resistance alignment? Roll-back seal brake calipers? Their truck body doesn't look like it has spent any meaningful time in a wind tunnel.

foto-e-busz3.jpg

This is one of two buses driving in Rotterdam (Netherlands). They have the electric motors in the rear wheels. They have a 100kWh Li ion Phosphate battery with expected 2000 charge cycles (they expect 6 years of operation). Charging can be done in 4/5 hours. The bus also has a 50 kW generator on board to be used if the juice runs out (after about 4 hours of operation).

GPS determines where the bus operates fully electric (city center) and where the batteries can be recharged.

I'm sure I forgot to mention important facts, but I'm not an engineer...

The website is in Dutch...
http://www.ebusz.nl/

Last edited: