Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 outlet Height, 18" or 48"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RN6482 should be here by the end of the month and I need to get the garage wired. Can't decide whether to have it installed at 18" or 48" from the floor. All other outlets are at 48". Sorry if this has been discussed earlier, I didnt find anything by searching

I would put it ~48" up the wall. Mine is about 38-40" up the wall. The UMC cord is setup such that it hangs straight down when plugged into a correctly installed 14-50 outlet. So you don't want it too close to the ground.

I have a hose hook installed directly above and to the left of my plug so my cord will hang down then wrap over the hose hook normally.

Not to mention if you have a flood the higher your wire the better.

I would put it ~48" up the wall. Mine is about 38-40" up the wall. The UMC cord is setup such that it hangs straight down when plugged into a correctly installed 14-50 outlet. So you don't want it too close to the ground.

I concur - you need room for the UMC to hang (if you choose not to provide some support for it) as well as allow for a reasonable bend radius for the emerging long portion of the UMC. Mine is mounted at 48" with a "hose reel" type hook below it to coil the cord upon.

I concur - you need room for the UMC to hang (if you choose not to provide some support for it) as well as allow for a reasonable bend radius for the emerging long portion of the UMC. Mine is mounted at 48" with a "hose reel" type hook below it to coil the cord upon.

Forgive my ignorance, but why is it important for the cord to hang? Is it not acceptable for the UMC to touch the ground?

Forgive my ignorance, but why is it important for the cord to hang? Is it not acceptable for the UMC to touch the ground?

Having the cord touching the ground it fine. It will get dirty, and may get damaged more easily. But the cord is angled at the plug such that when plugged into the wall it will point straight downward. So you want so room below you plug so your cord doesn't end up getting bent sharply.

In case you may eventually go with the HPWC, I would surely go higher (48" is the highest recommended by Tesla). It provides more space to manage the slack for the 25' cable and keep it off the ground (keeps it cleaner and makes it easier to sweep your floor). Excerpted from the HPWC Installation Guide (page 8):

When mounting, the High Power Wall Connector’s 25’ (7.6 m) cable should
easily reach the charging port, located under the driver’s side tail light,
without straining the connections at either end.
1. Use the mounting template as a guide to mark the location on the wall
for the two mounting screws.
• Space the holes exactly 8-7/16” (214 mm) apart.
• The height of the bracket should ensure that the charging
connector is located at a maximum of 48” from floor level.* The
minimum height is 18” (46 cm) if mounting indoors, and 24”
(61 cm) if mounting outdoors.

Oh, it can, it's just that in my garage it would be more subject to damage if it did so. :)

If I weren't getting an HPWC, I would likely create a holder that would function as a "wall mount" for the UMC's GFCI/contactor/interrupting device.

- - - Updated - - -

When mounting, the High Power Wall Connector’s 25’ (7.6 m) cable should
easily reach the charging port, located under the driver’s side tail light,
without straining the connections at either end.
1. Use the mounting template as a guide to mark the location on the wall
for the two mounting screws.
• Space the holes exactly 8-7/16” (214 mm) apart.
• The height of the bracket should ensure that the charging
connector is located at a maximum of 48” from floor level.* The
minimum height is 18” (46 cm) if mounting indoors, and 24”
(61 cm) if mounting outdoors.

I will note that this is a provision in the US NEC for indoor installation (625.29(B)). It lists an exception for listed device instructions, but it appears that Tesla chose to follow the code guidelines in listing the HPWC. 625.29(B):

(B) Height. Unless specifically listed for the purpose and
location, the coupling means of the electric vehicle supply
equipment shall be stored or located at a height of not less
than 450 mm (18 in.) and not more than 1.2 m (4 ft) above
the floor level.

Technically this applies to the UMC as well, unless the device instructions say otherwise (and I haven't seen those instructions). This would also technically make the "tool balancer" installations illegal unless it were kept at 4 ft, but it's not dangerous. I don't think you're going to have an inspector complaining that your hook for the Tesla type 2 connector is 5 feet off the floor unless you've pissed him off. Just keep it within reach.

Does anyone know the rationale for having the plug at a maximum height of 48"?

I had the electrician install it above my head, so it is around 7' off the ground. I didn't want to brush up against the outlet or plug when I walked past it since it is not recessed into the wall. So I put it over my head. Seems to work for me just fine.

Does anyone know the rationale for having the plug at a maximum height of 48"?

I had the electrician install it above my head, so it is around 7' off the ground. I didn't want to brush up against the outlet or plug when I walked past it since it is not recessed into the wall. So I put it over my head. Seems to work for me just fine.

The 14-50 plug is not the "coupling means" I referred to earlier - that's the Tesla end of the UMC or HPWC. There is no restriction on receptacle placement (except certain cases, like kitchen appliance outlets must be within 20" of a counter top). They simply have to be "accessible".

The ADA (4.2.5/4.2.6) requires that convenience outlets be at max height of 48-54" above floor in commercial settings.

Oh, it can, it's just that in my garage it would be more subject to damage if it did so. :)

If I weren't getting an HPWC, I would likely create a holder that would function as a "wall mount" for the UMC's GFCI/contactor/interrupting device.

Isn't the UMC about 18 feet long? How would I manage to have the cord uncoiled (to prevent overheating) yet have it not touch the ground while charging?

Like this? Center of outlet is at 42"

IMG_0449.JPG