Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sensationalistic titles with no content/censorship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SSL 235, VIN 277 in Mill Valley, CA - still pre-4.0 firmware. I have mixed feelings about this, as I'd love to get some of the new features, but my current firmware (1.15.14) is very stable and I'm hoping that they're debugging and that when I get my update it will be higher quality. We'll see.....

Heard all 4.1 updates suspended due to bugs with debugging update perhaps later this week. Makes sense. Had to reboot agin today. Worst bug yet: car does not shutoff. Leftbitbin mallmparkingnlot andnthoughtbas I walked into the mall - wait, last time the rear view camera did not engage in reverse the car stayed on when I got out. Turned and walked back to car to find it fully operational for all who might want to go for a drive. Radio blasting, screens on etc. reboot screen solves the issue. For a while at least, as has occurred twice.

See Recharging thread for little story about my explosion and house fire last night. Not the waybtomimpress your neighbors with our new Tesla.

It was put in moderation for now.

I hope it was due to some board policy. ModelS1079 chose to post his experience, and I didn't think this was the Tesla Motors forum where anything critical gets locked down. The extreme secrecy is what ended up getting Fisker in some bad press over that fire. I hope the moderators here aren't contributing to that same mindset.

I hope it was due to some board policy. ModelS1079 chose to post his experience, and I didn't think this was the Tesla Motors forum where anything critical gets locked down. The extreme secrecy is what ended up getting Fisker in some bad press over that fire. I hope the moderators here aren't contributing to that same mindset.
Gotta agree, unless there was something overtly questionable I sincerely don't want to see this forum turned into one where things can't be openly shared without screening by mods.

This thread is about software updates but the post was all title and little content. He's been contacted to provide details in the post. It was put in moderation for exactly this reason. Worrying about something when we don't know what we are worrying about. As soon as he gets back to us and posts detail we will take it out of moderation.

Last edited:

He did not choose to post his experience. No experience was shared. As Dave said, the post put into moderation was all 'flashy dramatic headline' with absolutely no content other than 'this is a placeholder, everyone fine, more to come'.

Why even make that post? So let's wait until he can post the actual story. The mods do not censor content. One look around this forum should tell you that. There is plenty of negative information, some of it posted by mods. But a post that has no content, with the exception of an inflammatory headline, is not a post. A mod tried contacting him so we could get the full story posted. He has not yet responded.

Thank you, bonnie. I was under the impression that he posted a story about a life safety issue (perhaps not with the vehicle), and when I inquired where it was, the answer was "in moderation" with no other background or reason.

If it was because of "sensationalism" with no content, then that's fine -- dsm should have said that then, instead of being secretive.

- - - Updated - - -

This thread is about software updates but the post was all title and little content. He's been contacted to provide details in the post. It was put in moderation for exactly this reason. Worrying about something when we don't know what we are worrying about. As soon as he gets back to us and posts detail we will take it out of moderation.

Wait, this post was changed. Now I am disagreeing with its content.

You should not put something in moderation just because it doesn't have detail. That IS censoring. Publicly call your questions to him.

He mentioned his post was in the "recharging" thread, I'm happy to have this moved to a new thread or in that thread -- I recognize this is for software updates, but I wil be very unhappy to hear that we have censorship going on here to the tune of Fisker or teslamotors.com. I only posted this here because it's where it was referenced, his other post disappeared, and this is where we have the mods admitting they have censored/moderated ModelS1079's post.

Didn't realize I had to provide a ton of details. Was typing on my iPhone and answered the question that it was in moderation. Again, this thread is about software updates. We can talk about his situation when he responds. It was a sensationalistic title with no detail. You feel that is censorship.

Again, there was no content other than 'this is a placeholder, more to come' (paraphrased). I saw the thread in moderation (mods have those special powers :)). There is NO content. The reason for the moderation is that there is a sensationalistic inflammatory over-the-top title. If the story that goes with that title *fits*, then it will stand as is. Otherwise we'll tone down the title.

Imagine a headline that said 'I was almost killed because of my Model S', but the post was about how they drove it into a wall and the airbags deployed as they should. That headline would be modified because it is not descriptive. (Don't get me started on how many threads are poorly titled...). Now IF the story that went with that headline was that the car almost killed them, then the mods would leave it alone.

We're not children. The mods believe in free speech. It's not us vs. them. We volunteer our time on the forum because we want a healthy discussion here. Please don't assume the worst about our actions. (And I might add, actions taken in our spare time because we all do work, have families, etc.)

I'll speak up and say that I flagged the post for moderation for exactly the reasons that the mods here have expressed already.

I thought perhaps he was short on time and intending to create a placeholder that he could link to from this thread -- I'm sure no malice was intended. However, what was there was essentially a worrying headline plus a quick reassurance that people and car were okay. I was concerned that such a posting would cause unnecessary alarm in the absence of specifics.

I'm really glad to hear that everybody's okay and I will look forward very much indeed to hearing details when he's able to get back and write things up.

Board Censorship - Questions for the Moderators / Administrators

I am very concerned about what I witnessed this evening.

1. ModelS1079 made mention in the firmware updates thread that he had posted in the "recharging thread" about an explosion and a fire at his home as a deterrent to showing his Tesla to friends and neighbors
2. I went looking for it by using his "recent posts" link under his profile. I could not find it, so I posted a reply in the thread asking where it was.
3. dsm posted that it was "in moderation".
4. I replied that I hoped it was due to some violation of terms of use, rather than trying to censor content.
5. dsm replied saying that it was off-topic in the software updates thread -- but that's not where it was.
6. bonnie replied, saying that mods do not censor content and that as dave said, information was requested of him
7. dsm changed his previous post to explain that it was sensationalistic, and therefore was in moderation.

Sorry, that's censorship, any way you place it. If it's sensationalistic, call it out publicly in his post and say "we need more information". But hiding the post is censorship, whether you like it or not.

Here's the reason I'm concerned: I come here because teslamotors.com forums insist upon hiding (sometimes to owners only, sometimes to employees only) anything that remotely has any issue referencing their products. I come here because it's supposed to be an open forum.

I'm calling for his post to be placed back on the board -- even in a separate thread in off-topic, if required -- and for the mods to explain their concerns of sensationalism there.

Anything else destroys the foundation of TMC as a users' forum and moves it toward a cheerleading forum.

With all due respect,
--a contributor and member of the community

Didn't realize I had to provide a ton of details. Was typing on my iPhone and answered the question that it was in moderation. Again, this thread is about software updates. We can talk about his situation when he responds. It was a sensationalistic title with no detail. You feel that is censorship.

Sounds like you did the right thing. It seems very irresponsible (effectively, not by intention) to post something with the keywords mentioned, yet without detail describing the situation, and then not be available to answer questions for 3 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

You should not put something in moderation just because it doesn't have detail. That IS censoring. Publicly call your questions to him.

The politics are far too sensitive for moderators to allow something prone to grave misunderstandings, possibly resulting in overreactions, to remain in an unfinished state.

We're not children. The mods believe in free speech. It's not us vs. them. We volunteer our time on the forum because we want a healthy discussion here. Please don't assume the worst about our actions. (And I might add, actions taken in our spare time because we all do work, have families, etc.)

Never said you were, and I appreciate the time you give to the board. I do the same in my contributions -- with a 5-week-old son in my arms many times.

That said, I'm sorry -- this is censorship. Leave the original post. Add your reply that "this is a sensationalistic, inflammatory, over-the-top title and we really need more information from you here." Even include your opinion that it's a worthless post without that information.

...but don't hide something that has already been seen, making others question motives, especially since most of the mods have been great cheerleaders of Tesla. If anything, *that* is what will cause others to begin to wonder what's being hidden. That is what will attract the Fisker fire press.

I'm a great cheerleader for Tesla, but I'll be transparent 100% in how I do that. Sunlight is indeed the best disinfectant.

This thread is a perfect example of why when we saw that and MikeK also reported it we knew it would cause trouble. He then posted a hint about it when we let stand and see what happened. Still haven't heard back but am glad everyone is ok. Someone thought maybe a fuse blew or something but who knows.

The politics are far too sensitive for moderators to allow something prone to grave misunderstandings, possibly resulting in overreactions, to remain in an unfinished state.

The only politics that get generated are when motives are hidden. As I said above, sunlight is the best disinfectant.