Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lessons from Model S to be applied to Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
After only a few days with our Model S, I've started coming up with a few things that, IMHO, should be improved/changed when Tesla builds Model X. Please feel free to chime in if you've had similar thoughts.

- Frunk operation needs to be automatic like the rear trunk. The opening and closing mechanism is clumsy and needing to have two hands free to close the frunk without denting the hood is pretty annoying.

- Cup holders. The Model X is aimed at families and will require, at a minimum, one cup holder per occupant.

- Internal storage. Children come with detritus. Model X will need a place to stash all that crap.

- My wife would like there to be a rear-seat entertainment option. There are some benefits to being able to a) control what's being watched from the front, and, b) being able to play the audio through the car speakers, especially when we're talking about younger kids.

As I said, I'm only a few days into my electric odyssey and I'm sure I'll find other nits to pick but these are some that I really hope they improve on for Model X.

- Frunk operation needs to be automatic like the rear trunk. The opening and closing mechanism is clumsy and needing to have two hands free to close the frunk without denting the hood is pretty annoying.
My understanding is that, at least to some degree, government regulations required the manual latches on the frunk.

My understanding is that, at least to some degree, government regulations required the manual latches on the frunk.

You're correct, the manual latch is required as part of the U.S. federal regulations. I'm not sure on other countries regulations.

Here is a part of the regulation concerning hood latches:
S4.2 A front opening hood which, in any open position, partially or completely obstructs a driver's forward view through the windshield must be provided with a second latch position on the hood latch system or with a second hood latch system.
Part 571--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards :: Chapter V--National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, DoT :: Title 49 - Transportation :: Code of Federal Regulations :: Regulations :: Law :: Justia

- Internal storage. Children come with detritus. Model X will need a place to stash all that crap.

I agree and disagree with this. I find that storage spaces increase the amount of crap that is around. It is hidden and stays out of mind. There is a threshold of storage space that you need, and I think the Model S is not quite at that level. So yes more storage, but not a lot more. But I also really like the idea of having a bag a storage.

- My wife would like there to be a rear-seat entertainment option. There are some benefits to being able to a) control what's being watched from the front, and, b) being able to play the audio through the car speakers, especially when we're talking about younger kids.

I think Tesla has this one right not offering one. I think an tablet is a much cheaper better and more aesthetic solution to back seat entertainment. And with proper Bluetooth pairing you can run the car sound from one of these devices. Maybe a package with a sleeve/storage and a nice high-powered USB port for each rider would be an acceptable 'entertainment package'. Heck I think if they also just charged for the tablets it would be good.

I don't have an S so extrapolating from forums. Fortunately many of these are software, don't require more than a bit more sensors or are Model S "bootstrap" artifacts (ie issues that happen only the first time you do something)

- Parking sensors, camera guidelines
- Issues with door handles sensing
- Battery heating, parked SOC loss, short trips and other winter considerations
- Some features of tech package IMO should be 'standard'
- An app that is available upon launch of the vehicle
- Offline maps

There are also many other things that I am starting to have vague ideas about reading the Model S experiences but these are the most concrete so far

One lesson I sure hope gets transfered over to the X for the S is how the S is normal enough to have mass appeal and function. I very much hope that there is a "normal door" option for those who want to use the X for it's "sports utility". The falcon doors are cool looking, but I want the X to haul kayaks, ski's etc, all requiring a roof rack and so far I have not seen any proposal for the X that enables one to use the X as a typical sports utility vehicle. being able to put stuff on top is a far greater priority for us than making entry and exit from the third row easier.

You're correct, the manual latch is required as part of the U.S. federal regulations. I'm not sure on other countries regulations.

Part 571--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards :: Chapter V--National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, DoT :: Title 49 - Transportation :: Code of Federal Regulations :: Regulations :: Law :: Justia

I don't see anything in that regulation that says that the latch must be manual. It basically says that you need a secondary latch. On most cars, there's the latch that opens when you pull the handle inside, and then there's the catch you push or pull with your hand as you're about to open the hood, and that I always have to grope around for! :)

It does not say that closing the hood and engaging the two latches has to be done through manual pressure. You could (for example) close the hood lightly, engaging one latch, and have a mechanism that pulled the hood the rest of the way down to the point where the second latch engaged.

I agree and disagree with this. I find that storage spaces increase the amount of crap that is around. It is hidden and stays out of mind. There is a threshold of storage space that you need, and I think the Model S is not quite at that level. So yes more storage, but not a lot more. But I also really like the idea of having a bag a storage.

The Honda CR-V does a good job giving just the right amount of storage. There's a sunglasses compartment, a big center console box with sliding cover, glove compartment, and door pockets for the driver and passenger. This is a very useful amount of storage without having too many or overly complicated nooks and crannies for everything. Door pockets are especially useful for storing a mini-umbrella, which is convenient when exiting the car in a rainy parking lot.

I don't see anything in that regulation that says that the latch must be manual. It basically says that you need a secondary latch. On most cars, there's the latch that opens when you pull the handle inside, and then there's the catch you push or pull with your hand as you're about to open the hood, and that I always have to grope around for! :)

It does not say that closing the hood and engaging the two latches has to be done through manual pressure. You could (for example) close the hood lightly, engaging one latch, and have a mechanism that pulled the hood the rest of the way down to the point where the second latch engaged.

This was sort of what I though when I read the regulation. It requires a redundant latch but it does not say anything about either latch needing to be manual.

To all the other replies, thanks! I appreciate that you guys took the time to respond.

- Storage: I, too, like the idea of not having massive amount of storage. For instance, there are minivans out there with storage compartments in the floors. Talk about useless places for crap to accumulate and get moldy. The Model S, is, shall we say, spartan, in it's internal storage. I really like the shelf under the screen but it needs at least one enclosed space with a lid somewhere.

- RES: Reasonable people can, and will differ on this subject. I, for one, will understand if they don't use their engineering resources cooking one up for Model X, but I think if they do it could be fricken awesome. Just think: multiple screens, digital video content, all controlled by the front screen. Just plug in a thumb drive.

- Doors: Good point on offering standard doors. I don't know how easy that would be from an engineering standpoint but if it's feasible they should look into it. I'm excited for the falcon doors because I don't really put things on the roof and getting kids in and out in tight parking spots can be a royal pain.

- Parking sensors: Yeah, not having them as standard equipment on my $100,000+ Model S is pretty lame. My wife's really not going to like not having them available for Model X. I really don't get not adding them. It's well established tech that they could have simply sourced from one of their existing partners. I know they got the air suspension from Continental and I'd be shocked if Continental didn't also have parking sensors. While they're at it, they should make a retrofit kit for Model S!

Last edited:

Regardless, you should still be able to close the frunk with one hand.

As a parent of two kids, ages 5 and 2, the Model X needs a minimum amount of "holders" and "storage." The Model S storage is definitely an issue. That there isn't a middle back seat fold down console to hold cups on a $90k car is borderline insulting. The reality is that people need a place to insert items in a car. There are only two spots to put anything in the Model S (glove box and little hiding spot under the 17" screen). Honestly, if the X just had the fold down console on the middle seat, I'd be satisfied.

As a parent of two kids, ages 5 and 2, the Model X needs a minimum amount of "holders" and "storage." The Model S storage is definitely an issue. That there isn't a middle back seat fold down console to hold cups on a $90k car is borderline insulting. The reality is that people need a place to insert items in a car. There are only two spots to put anything in the Model S (glove box and little hiding spot under the 17" screen). Honestly, if the X just had the fold down console on the middle seat, I'd be satisfied.

Wow, our kids are the same age and we have the same issue with Model S. I've always wondered why they didn't go with a fold down bit in the middle of the back.

Wow, our kids are the same age and we have the same issue with Model S. I've always wondered why they didn't go with a fold down bit in the middle of the back.

And while we're at it, they should offer that option (fold down rear center armrest/storage/cupholder unit) that ist standard in any car that calls itself "premium" sedan, with an optional fold-out ski-bag.
I know the nominal cargo capacity of the Model S is enormous, but when you have to transport long items (like skis, poles, garden hardware and equipment), you don't stand a chance.

Lesson learned from Model S: give us a comprehensive owners manual, please don't leave us to figure it all out again.

Yeah, not sure why the searchable version was removed from the touch screen.

Overall, I think (hope) the X will be a much better car than the S. They have less to prove now, and Elon hasn't been running his mouth re: features/stats that end up compromising the car (like fixed headrests and no cupholders to improve the crash test ratings).

....Elon hasn't been running his mouth re: features/stats that end up compromising the car (like fixed headrests and no cupholders to improve the crash test ratings).

At risk of starting yet another cupholder discussion: that really is a big mistake with the S. The front armrest ones are poorly positioned and I'm getting kinda tired of my daughter's water bottle rolling around on the rear floor. If the X is going to be a family car it needs to come with cupholders in the back, a couple (really Tesla, just a couple, please!) of places to store things like a Kindle, book, iPod etc. They should also absolutely have a usb port accessible to the rear seat passengers.

I probably won't be able to buy a Tesla for a pretty long time so maybe I'm too far removed to have the proper level of concern but I like to comment on these threads every blue moon :biggrin:

About the Falcon Wing doors: I honestly think (Depending on the way the final version turns out) they could make tight parking spaces easier to get into with the doors opening up instead of out. That along with it being helpful with kid loading and entering the third row, means that I like it.

About the Model X in general: IMHO I think Tesla's selling a sleek & sexy minivan alternative not an SUV. I say that because so far the selling points are really targeted toward women with young kids. Which last time I checked isn't how most companies sell a truck. If it's a minivan competitor then the roof rack issue is a lot less important (I'd think) but if it is an SUV....it's not really looking good. So far at least (I know it's early) Model X makes a lot of sense to target the segment of the cross-over market thats just buying a crossover because they don't want to have to drive a minivan. I hope that's it.....

About Storage in Model S: I really like having the pocket on the back of the passenger seat!! I know it's not fashionable but it's perfect for storage. That and the little "smuglers box" they put under the butt section passenger seat in some cars, would be great.