Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alas, new problem: Windshield Stress Fracture. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While washing the car yesterday, I noticed a significant crack in our new (2+ week-old) windshield.

I believe that this is a stress fracture, and hence a manufacturing defect, and not related to a road hazard or other accident. Note that the crack proceeds from the free edge of the glass at its mounting, that it is forked from that side, and that there is absolutely no indication of an impact. There is no crater, circular mark, missing chip, etc.

I believe that this happened over the weekend while driving near Whistler, BC. I was alone in the car at night on a quiet road with no traffic, and heard a sudden "pop" somewhere in the car (could not place it at the time). It may be of note that this was the first time the car was subjected to freezing temperatures (-6º C).

Tesla has been contacted, and is being typically very cooperative. Update when I know more.

S02001 Windshield 1.JPG

Yep, happened to me too. Noticed it after a couple hundred miles, but was very hard to notice from inside the car so don't know when exactly it popped up. Not as big as your's, coming up from bottom center.

Made a point of leaving the DS the hell alone for the last part of the year to do their deliveries and sent them a pic just the other day. Got a fairly prompt response that it had been passed on to service.

image002.jpg

Does anyone have a clue as to how common spontaneus (or at least near spontaneus) cracks in the front windshield are in newly manufactured cars from established brands? I would think that you'd have a certain rate of this with all brands? And if it hasn't happened after the first few months, especially if these months includes periods with temp below freezing, it won't happen. Correct?

The way to determine if it is a stress fracture or not is to run a ballpoint pen along the crack. If it sticks anyplace, it's a chip. If it doesn't, it's a stress fracture.

My windshield just showed a crack so similar Vger! I drove to work this morning and didn't see any crack, but when I got home late tonight and saw a crack at a similar location to Vger. I didn't hear any pop or a rock hitting the windshield at all -- wondering whether stress must have something to do with it? Vger, please let me know what is your resolution from Tesla. Thanks.

View attachment 15014

My windshield just showed a crack so similar Vger! I drove to work this morning and didn't see any crack, but when I got home late tonight and saw a crack at a similar location to Vger. I didn't hear any pop or a rock hitting the windshield at all -- wondering whether stress must have something to do with it? Vger, please let me know what is your resolution from Tesla. Thanks.

View attachment 15014

Tesla has agreed to replace the windshield under warranty. They agreed that this was a stress fracture, and no fault of mine. It is taking some time to arrange, but it will happen in the next few weeks.

Get in touch with them right away. Apparently quite a few of these have happened, so Tesla Service overall should be aware of the problem.

Reactions: Don TLR
Of course, now I'm curious how widespread this problem is. The windshield isn't made in house, is it? Surely it's from a subcontractor? I wonder if it's an assembly problem or a bad batch of glass or a storage problem or what. Hopefully for Tesla's profits it's either not very common or the responsibility of a subcontractor...

This happened to my friends A4 shortly after getting it.
He was backing up into the self service wash (a small, steep "bump" in) and when the car was at the top it had a weird angle to the suspension, then it cracked.

Also experienced it In a Hyundai. My guess would be a bad batch of glass from the manufacturer.

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

Mine has a crack exactly like Vger's except on the drivers side. My Speedometer screen has a Needs service alert and when I called ownership and told them about the 10" crack that just developed overnight, she knew exactly where it started and what it would look like. Spot on. They are ordering a replacement. They are still looking through the logs though on why I have a servie alert message on my screen.

This has happened to a number of windshields and is almost always in the lower passenger side. I found it on mine a week ago and it will be replaced under warranty next week. Some speculate that the robot arms are placing the windshield down too forcefully during assembly.

OMFG, I just noticed exactly the same thing on mine today and I have only had it less than 2 weeks. It is in exactly the same spot as yours and looks exactly the same !!!! No chips or damage otherwise either.
Waiting to hear back from Tesla, what have you heard ?
c

IMG_5258.jpg

My replacement windshield arrived at my local service center. Expect a day and half for installation, not sure why so long, but possibly for the adhesives to cure properly. I'm guessing they'll have to remove the hood too.

85KWh, Tesla seems to be aware of the issues with the windshield, they'll replace as part of the warranty.