Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screenshot feature, where are they saved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheAustin

Model X 90D (Former Model S P85)
Sep 12, 2011
The Hamptons
If you press and hold down the bottom right-hand button on the steering wheel (the "back" button") for a few seconds, the follow message appears on the touchscreen:

Screenshot.jpg

Screenshot for Instrument Cluster saved.
Screenshot for Center Display saved.

So...Where are they saved to?!?!?! And how can we see them? Or is this just some internal/service thingy?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an internal service thingy so when your car throws up an error screen you can grab a screenshot and the tech can pull it remotely.

I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to do this themselves, e.g. "what is my ip address" then see if they can remotely get in and poke around. lol (heh, sorry I'm a software engineer so I like to try and get in and pull things like these apart). Every 3G connection has a unique IP so finding the remote endpoint is easy enough, but then requires port scanning and trying to break in depending on how locked down their security measures are yet (firewalls, encryption, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if some of this is "planned" but not implemented yet. However given the implications of what could happen if someone gets in, that should be top priority over delivering any new features. As a software engineer I know anythings pretty much possible, the question is usually how long does it take for someone to figure it out. Those people are usually either 1) really bored and curious, 2) determined have grand ideas for cool things they can do with that data, or 3) have malicious intent. Lets hope anyone doing this is either 1 or 2.

I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to do this themselves, e.g. "what is my ip address" then see if they can remotely get in and poke around. lol (heh, sorry I'm a software engineer so I like to try and get in and pull things like these apart). Every 3G connection has a unique IP so finding the remote endpoint is easy enough, but then requires port scanning and trying to break in depending on how locked down their security measures are yet (firewalls, encryption, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if some of this is "planned" but not implemented yet. However given the implications of what could happen if someone gets in, that should be top priority over delivering any new features. As a software engineer I know anythings pretty much possible, the question is usually how long does it take for someone to figure it out. Those people are usually either 1) really bored and curious, 2) determined have grand ideas for cool things they can do with that data, or 3) have malicious intent. Lets hope anyone doing this is either 1 or 2.
We'll find out as soon as the car can connect to your WiFi at home. Then it's just a matter of looking at your DHCP leases.

So right now the screenshots are saved somewhere on de harddrive of your Model S on a place where you can't access them.

I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to do this themselves, e.g. "what is my ip address" then see if they can remotely get in and poke around. … Every 3G connection has a unique IP so finding the remote endpoint is easy enough, but then requires port scanning and trying to break in depending on how locked down their security measures are yet (firewalls, encryption, etc). …

That (server-reflexive) IP address is likely on the external side of a NA(P)T gateway, so port scanning may not yield much. And what a scan does yield may be mapped to a different device behind that gateway.

We'll find out as soon as the car can connect to your WiFi at home. Then it's just a matter of looking at your DHCP leases.

Right. This IP address will be assigned to something in the car, likely the Tegra running the 17". Hopefully any listening ports are sufficiently locked down.

That (server-reflexive) IP address is likely on the external side of a NA(P)T gateway, so port scanning may not yield much. And what a scan does yield may be mapped to a different device behind that gateway.

Confirmed, at least for me. When my car is at home, its IP address is in the 10.x.x.x block, which is typically used for NAT. My phone (on AT&T) gets a similar IP address.

So, port scanning isn't going to be too helpful...

/Mitch.

Right. This IP address will be assigned to something in the car, likely the Tegra running the 17". Hopefully any listening ports are sufficiently locked down.

BTW, I strongly suspect that dealing with all this security stuff is what has held up the WiFi feature for so long.