Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanted: J1772 to 14-50 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a very early Tuscon unit that I no longer have a use for but I did have do a bit of alteration to the J1772 inlet to get it to fit current connectors. PM me for details if interested.

Well my J1772 adapter arrived in the post today, so I wasted no time converting it for European operation.

20130125_222611.jpg

As you can see, it's not the most complex piece of electronics I've ever seen.

20130125_190157.jpg

Type 2 is totally electrically compatible with Type 1. That is not a problem.

The reason I did it is because I can split the 32A output of the adapter box into 2x 16A, 3x 10A, 5x 6A or any combination thereof. Good for meetups.

Some local LEAF owners have done something similar. They have a "J1772 splitter" so they can charge two 3.3kW LEAFs at once from one 6.6kW J1772 EVSE. I went to a "meet-up" event to see a prototype 2013 LEAF, and there weren't enough EVSEs around at the parking lot, so we "doubled up" each using our own portable EVSE connected to the splitter boxes. The EVSEupgrade modified portable LEAF EVSEs use NEMA L6-20 ends, so the splitter boxes are built with two of those as output.

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - J1772 extender/splitter
p1000813x.jpg

(And another 3.3kW EVSE can plug in on the other side...)

Last edited: