Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NY: Experiences getting plates and registering your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I received a call that my car should be delivered tonight! So excited but what about paperwork, registration and plates? I live in NY so Tesla is supposed to provide registration and plates for me but I don't have anything yet. What have others seen/done?

The driver needs to drop off the car about 1 mile from the house so I may have to drive it with no plates to get it home...

Car was completed 12/30 and marked sold that day according to Tesla.

Your DS should have sent you all the paperwork to use the temporary registration for CA then all of the paperwork to get the car registered in NY. Reach out to your DS (assuming you can) and have them overnight all of the correct documents to you.

My car is also arriving today and my DS has sent the paperwork to transfer my tags from my previous car to the Tesla. I will be swinging by the DMV once the car is delivered to finalize everything. I could mail it but it will be quicker to just go there and take care of it in person.

Thanks. So Tesla only provided you with temp CA tags?

I thought that in NY they register the car, request a NY title and provide NY plates. Any NYs with experience who can comment?

That is correct. All you have to do for yourself in NY is provide your insurance and file for the free Cleanpass sticker for the HOV lane (if you want one). The DES takes care of the rest.

I finally have LOTS of information about this. I asked lots and lots of questions once I finally reached the people responsible for "outside delivery".

Tesla NY will file all the state paperwork. They get and attach the license plates *before* delivery -- these will be your *permanent* license plates until you decide to change them. At delivery, they fill out and file (and you sign) a form which gets you a temporary registration *with the same plates the dealer was using*. They fill out and file (and you sign) a second form which gets you a permanent registration *with the same plates*. You carry the temporary registration form as your "registration" until you get the permanent registration in the mail. You get a temporary registration sticker as well (the final one will be mailed by the DMV). You own the car upon payment and delivery, but the title certificate will be mailed to you later; on delivery, you also get a temporary piece of paper proving ownership.

Since it mattered for me (sigh), your insurance for the car needs to start on or before the day of registration, but your insurance for the car must also start on or after the day on which you own the car (which is why I had to have everything happen the same day).

I am just checking about about the required safety inspection sticker but I assume they provide that at delivery too.

My Tesla was delivered to me on January 29th at my home in Westchester. It arrived with the inspection sticker, new license plates, and a temporary registration sticker. It has now been 5 weeks and I have not received my permanent registration or my title. I called Tesla last week and they said they would check into this with the person who handles registration for NY purchases. I have not heard anything back so far.

Is there anyone else in NY who can shed some light on how this process worked for you, specifically how long it takes to get the permanent registration and the title?

I bought the 60 kW model, and I absolutely love my S. I am smitten. In the past I generally drove Honda vehicles, nothing fancy, just good reliable transportation. But having achieved a certain level of financial success, having paid off the mortgage and with retirement funds building up quite nicely, I decided to treat myself to this leading edge technology. I am now thinking maybe I should treat myself just a bit more, perhaps sell the 60 kW car and trade up to a P85.

Of course, to sell my current S to trade up, I would need to have the title. This vehicle is so addictive I keep looking for excuses to go out driving. :smile:

I received my car on Feb 20 delivered to my home in Westchester. While it had temp registration sticker, they had not inspected it, so I need to have it inspected. (BTW, by law they need to have the car inspected before selling it to me). Anyways, still waiting on title. Turns out Telsa didn't file final paperwork with the DMV until 3/19, a month after I received the car, so title should be here in 2-6 weeks. I received my permanent registration about 3 weeks after I got the car.

I have a standard 85 with 19" and all the extras except the kids seats.

My Tesla was delivered to me on January 29th at my home in Westchester. It arrived with the inspection sticker, new license plates, and a temporary registration sticker. It has now been 5 weeks and I have not received my permanent registration or my title. I called Tesla last week and they said they would check into this with the person who handles registration for NY purchases. I have not heard anything back so far.

Is there anyone else in NY who can shed some light on how this process worked for you, specifically how long it takes to get the permanent registration and the title?
I got permanent registration by FedEx after approximately, IIRC, three weeks. I believe there were seven weeks allowed on the temporary registration. I still haven't got my title but the DMV says that that can take up to 90 days after the registration (!!!).

The fellow in charge of this is named Dan and works in the NY Service Center in Queens. I had to talk to him personally in order to get everything straightened out due to the insurance timing issue. Call NY Service and ask for Dan -- he should be able to tell you when the paperwork was filed with the DMV, and should be able to give you a copy of what he filed.