Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Tesla get involved in the new FormulaE Racing Series?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure most EV fans have heard of the new FormulaE racing series to start in 2014.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motoringvideo/9718747/Electric-car-racing-launches-in-Rome.html

Just wondering what people think about Tesla getting involved in this? They might be able to provide the batteries or some of the electronics? McLaren seems to be providing the Motor/Drivetrain.
Should Tesla enter a car? I suppose it is a bit early for Tesla to be spending money on racing just yet but eventually I think it would be great for their branding to get involved and maybe when F1/NASCAR/Rally cars/ etc eventually all go electric Tesla could dominate the racing as well as the road EV market!

Thoughts?

I could see Tesla doing something a bit closer to home. McLaren is UK, isn't it? Therefore Tesla should try something in California in best case.

Ah, I see. This is like Formula 1 and international.

Maybe a few years down the road when Tesla debuts its supercar?

It would certainly be great for both Tesla's image and for the development of better EV technology, I'm just afraid they don't have the capital to be involved with any racing right now.

I agree I don't think that they have either the capital or more importantly the resources to spare to focus on another high profile program such as a racing team.

However, I think that Tesla will make sure that the "Miami" Supercharger is operational before the race in Miami next March. They could also focus on the Miami hotels to ensure sufficient destination charging is available to support a large influx of Model Ss into the area in support of this important Formula E racing event.

Larry

I was talking to racing friend (ex Atlantic, Star Mazda, Ferrari Challenge). He has a grand plan of a Tesla Challenge series using the Model S. I think it would be a very cool series to watch and I am sure he could get Ferrari Challenge type "buy a seat" drivers.

I am just curious if it would have any value for Tesla? Jaguar is entering the Formula E series and I think the other manufactures could follow soon.

I am just curious if it would have any value for Tesla? Jaguar is entering the Formula E series and I think the other manufactures could follow soon.
At the 2014 Tesla Shareholders Annual Meeting, in response to a question, Musk was very clear that participating in any kind of racing event or series was of no value to Tesla and would not be happening. That was a year and a half ago. I think his statement remains correct. Tesla is still production constrained, and resources are tight. It's all hands on deck to make sure the Model 3 enters production in 2017 and X production ramps up to meet demand, AP development pushes forward, and a million other things. It would be a waste of resources for Tesla to participate in any kind of racing. It's not going to happen for years, if it ever happens.