Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E Rates??? For California owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would check out this thread.

The differences between E9A and E9B are whether you have the car on a separate meter. That costs money to install, but if you currently use a bunch of electricity during peak hours, it'll save you money in the long run - unless/until rates change.

If you have solar, then being all on one meter with high daytime rates is good for you, but PGE is trying to flatten the rates.

I'm getting solar but probably going to stay on the standard rates. Reason being that we need to run the A/C and often the dishwasher during the day.

The time-of-use plans make sense only if you can adjust the majority of your power usage to match up to the off-peak rates. That's a lot harder to do if you have younger kids at home, especially during the summer if you need to run the A/C.

The time-of-use plans make sense only if you can adjust the majority of your power usage to match up to the off-peak rates. That's a lot harder to do if you have younger kids at home, especially during the summer if you need to run the A/C.

I remember swamp coolers. Ging outside and jumping in the pool. Running through a sprinkler. AC during the day? No way. :)

gosh I didn't even realize there were choices. I just googled that and need to do some research.

I am pretty sure I am on E9, the old one. I had a time of use meter installed with the panels, and charge to Roadster after 10pm automatically.

About 6 months ago they replaced that time of use meter with the "smart" time of use meter using wi-fi, not a man tromping through my yard.

I'll have to do some research on which way is the best to go looking forward.

I am always on the highest tier without the vehicle charging (Feb/Mar delivery) so will be getting an E-9B (second meter) so i have a new baseline against which to charge the vehicle. For me its the difference between .31 cents/kwh vs. 11 cents/kwh
Note that the new EV rate structure doesn't have tiers so the second meter may not be necessary. See this thread: Big increase in PGE E-9 rates (N. Cal.))

I did an exhaustive analysis on everything but e6 to e9. But e9 just doesn't make sense to me. The peak hours are shifted an hour, so you'll get paid less for the power you generate. And the off peak is really all your waking hours. So unless your never at home during the day and like to do your laundry, wash dishes, power your car and use electronics from 12pm - 7am, I'm thinking E-6 is the way to go.

They also seem to really be pushing people to E-9, and then also want to increase the fares.

I also thought I had paid up for my solar, in fact I need another 3 1/2 years. My years pre-electric car didn't net me anything as my usage was too low for the number of panels I had.

I did an exhaustive analysis on everything but e6 to e9. But e9 just doesn't make sense to me. The peak hours are shifted an hour, so you'll get paid less for the power you generate. And the off peak is really all your waking hours. So unless your never at home during the day and like to do your laundry, wash dishes, power your car and use electronics from 12pm - 7am, I'm thinking E-6 is the way to go.

They also seem to really be pushing people to E-9, and then also want to increase the fares.

I also thought I had paid up for my solar, in fact I need another 3 1/2 years. My years pre-electric car didn't net me anything as my usage was too low for the number of panels I had.

I came to the exact same conclusion.

We have E6 now and have had solar panels for 6 years.

E9 increases the peak hour and the super low off peak are only from midnight to 7am.

I asked the PG&E guy to run a comparative analysis using my known TOU history against the E9 plan but unfortunately they are not technologically savvy enough to do that.

Will stay on E6 for now.

Ok so I keep doing the math and I can't see how e9 would be better if I watch tv before 9pm like I always do. How come everyone is so excited for scheduled charging? I would need e9 to take advantage of the lower night rate, but then the day rate is so much higher and even worse in summer that it makes the plan worthless. Why can't I get a discount at night with e1? This is not what I expected when tesla told me charging at night would be cheaper. It seems like my bill has gone up about 60-90 a month so far.

Ok so I keep doing the math and I can't see how e9 would be better if I watch tv before 9pm like I always do. How come everyone is so excited for scheduled charging? I would need e9 to take advantage of the lower night rate, but then the day rate is so much higher and even worse in summer that it makes the plan worthless. Why can't I get a discount at night with e1? This is not what I expected when tesla told me charging at night would be cheaper. It seems like my bill has gone up about 60-90 a month so far.
Well, that's why there are options. Do you really have heavy use during the day? You live in SF so doubt you have A/C running. I live on the peninsula and my wife and I both work and baby goes to day care. So the only thing on at my house during the day is the fridge, wine fridge, and TiVo so the increase in peak rate is more than offset by the decrease in overnight rates to charge. But your situation may be different.

Did you actually do the math based on your SmartMeter telling you when you consume power?