Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on configuration (color, wheels, and suspension)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to finalize my Model S configuration and have a few questions:

1) I am really interested in getting the grey exterior with the grey interior. Anyone have pics of this configuration? I've gone through the forum and can't find much information. Having pictures of a performance version of the grey interior with cream piping would be helpful as well.

2) I am considering getting the performance version but am concerned the 21 inch wheels get scratched very easily based on some forum threads. Are people with 21 inch wheels running into a lot of issues? Also what type of tire life should I expect with the 21s?

3) I was going to go with the air suspension but I have concerns about reliability / maintenance of the system long term. Anyone have any good insight on the air suspension and reliability?

1) I am really interested in getting the grey exterior with the grey interior. Anyone have pics of this configuration? I've gone through the forum and can't find much information. Having pictures of a performance version of the grey interior with cream piping would be helpful as well.

Photos are here and here.

2) I am considering getting the performance version but am concerned the 21 inch wheels get scratched very easily based on some forum threads. Are people with 21 inch wheels running into a lot of issues? Also what type of tire life should I expect with the 21s?

The lower the aspect ratio is, the less protection there is for the wheel. Some folks have scratched their wheels but not the majority. Tire life depends on a lot of things but figure about half the life of the 19" tires and you likely won't be too far off. Once the original tires are worn out other tires can be selected. But no one purchases high performance tires with the expectation of long life. They purchase them to have fun.

3) I was going to go with the air suspension but I have concerns about reliability / maintenance of the system long term. Anyone have any good insight on the air suspension and reliability?

Get the maintenance and extended warranty packages and it becomes a non-issue.

Re: #2 -- I'm terrible with dinging tires and rims. I've done it with every car so far and all my previous cars had higher profile tires than the 19" wheels Tesla offers. My wife, on the other hand, is very careful about them and doesn't scratch the rims. Short version: if you've dinged wheels in the past, it prolly doesn't matter which wheels you get. And, yes, I've dinged the 21's already but the silver rims don't show the scratches much.

Air suspension is nice. I recommend getting it. If I was getting the cheapest Model S available to pair with our current one (prolly the most expensive stock version), I'd still buy the air suspension and give up the pano roof, tech package, stereo, etc. And those options are very nice as well, but the suspension is worth it imho.