Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge at Nissan Dealership?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nissan corporate tells the dealers to install the stations where they are accessible 24/7, and to let other brands use them when they are not needed for customers or business reasons.

Some dealers listen. Some don't. I charged at one once and they were very friendly, but I have heard from several people that had problems. And I've seen several installed where they are not accessible when the dealership is closed (many dealers block off their lots completely).

Where are you?

Nissan dealer near me ... charger ... level 2 only ... is in a locked area at night ... and in a car prep or wash area during the day.

It was the Walgreens in the 7000 block of Roswell Road. I live in Brookhaven.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the adaptor the j1772 at Nissan dealers? I am thinking emergencies only. Also, certificates of appreciation with presidents on them can always help (in an emergency)

I did a short practice charge at a Walgreens just to see how the j1772 adaptor worked. Do Nissan Dealers use the same? Are they accommodating to Tesla owners? Thanks.

Definitely call first. All the Nissan dealerships I called (only called 3 of them) in Texas when I was planning a trip wouldn't let me charge there.

Actually, you're better off charging at RV parks (you'd have to have brought your UMC with NEMA 14-50 adapter but if you're going on a long trip, that's a good idea anyway) since you gain an extra 10A there over a J1772 30A charger.

Nissan dealership in Vandalia Ohio was extremely gracious. After having my mobile charger fail, I charged at Nissan dealership twice. Once on Sunday for about 7 hours and again on Monday to finish the charge. Unfortunately, the charge rate is only 10-12 miles per hour (200 V at 30 Amp), so an RV park with 14-50 would be much faster.

I've stated before, but I had about 8 salesmen out looking at the Tesla. The next week after getting my new mobile charger I gave test rides and took a few pizza's in appreciation of their hospitality. It was a great experience.

Thanks for all the great information. I was getting about 16 miles per hour at the Walgreens charging station. So, that's a pretty good option in a pinch. I also will look into the camp ground idea. I hope once apps are available there is a tesla app that gives us charging possibilities tied to the on board GPS. I hope it includes campgrounds. I guess a natural question is about the camp grounds. What has been the experience there?

Allstays has an RV park app that you can filter by '50 Amp service'. Best thing to do is call RV park ahead of time and saying you'll be bringing an electric car and need access to a NEMA 14-50 plug for a few hours and ask how much they charge and if they'll let you charge there.