Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At the Car Wash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andrew Wolfe

Roadster 472 - S 440
Jun 20, 2011
Los Gatos, CA
Car Wash problem

I took my Model S to the car wash this morning. (I know, blasphemy. I don't want to hear it)

The problem is that every time the attendant got out of the seat with the car in Neutral, the car went into park. It there a way around this? Do I need to set something differently?

The problem is that every time the attendant got out of the seat with the car in Neutral, the car went into park. It there a way around this? Do I need to set something differently?

Nope, safety feature. Car shouldn't be moving when no one is in the drivers seat. Car washes were made for dinosaur ICE vehicles :wink:

This seems like a major problem to me. If you get 10k S's out there a lot of them are going to be put through car washes. Can't be good for either the car or the car wash to be pushing the car while in park!

And please don't say don't do it. I was at the car wash this week and saw a Panamara S go through. It IS done.
I've always either hand washed my car myself or used one of these big converyer systems.

I plan to use a mobile detailer with my S. I see him doing a great job on my neighbors mercs all the time.

BUT you know many many S owners will be putting them through Mr. Bubbles etc....

I use a full service detailer or a touch free car wash. I sit in the car while it is being washed, and the car sits on solid ground, no conveyor belt involved.
If the wash is only set up to wash unattended vehicles by rolling them along a conveyor belt in neutral, well I'd be looking for someone that does it differently.

I took my Model S to the car wash this morning. (I know, blasphemy. I don't want to hear it)

I've never gotten out of my car when going through a car wash. I didn't know automated washes have "attendants". Where do you go when your car is being sent through? Doesn't seem worth it to get out when it's quicker and easier to stay in.

Thanks for the tip. This was a big concern for me.

I still think it is stupid of Tesla to *ever* automatically switch from N to P.
I can't think of *any* situation where I'd want this behavior.
If I ever put the car in N then I did it for a reason.

I've never gotten out of my car when going through a car wash. I didn't know automated washes have "attendants". Where do you go when your car is being sent through? Doesn't seem worth it to get out when it's quicker and easier to stay in.

Pretty common out here in No. CA. Attendants vacuum the car, spray down and wash off any large debris, wash the inside windows, and remove any external antenna or tape down rear wipers - then they drive it to the auto-wash and get out. On the other side, they dry it and inspect it for missed spots. The good ones use fresh towels for every car.

Hand washing is discouraged here and in some places can actually get you a ticket. The autowashes recycle all of the water and are environmentally monitored while hand washing tends to send all kinds of nasty stuff into sewer drains and into the creeks and the Bay. Plenty of people do it - but you can get dirty looks from neighbors (or your own teenagers).

Aha - I could RTFM.

NOTE: If you use the touchscreen to release the parking brake when in P
(Park), Model S automatically shifts into Neutral. However, when you exit
Model S, it shifts into Park. To keep Model S in Neutral after exiting, power
off Model S manually using the touchscreen.

+1. he beat me to it...

and how the heck does Zextraterrestrial have time to surf the forums when he has miles to put on his new Model S???!!

I have a car with the internet, duh. (j/k) No cell phone but...
800 miles and counting

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe he's driving and surfing while at stoplights looking for M5's.

Still haven't seen that M5 around here.
Had several people taking pictures today and someone from a car club take a picture for his blog.
Burning everything on the road, hehe :cool: