Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: At the Car Wash...

Not 100% sure, but I think the battery pack is encased in aluminum. Much of the rest of the undercarriage will be aluminum from the body, and most of the major suspension parts are aluminum, so no issues there with salt corrosion. The motor casing is likely stainless steel.

A spray from a hose should be plenty to remove road salt. Give it a good blast in each wheel well and under the body, particularly around back by the motor, and you should be fine.
    Model S P85 VIN 03278 1/17/13. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model S P85D on order, ETA Dec. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model X Sig #1242 and regular #3801

I washed my car last weekend, and left the key in the car and had the door handles retracted. The two-bucket method is the best way to wash. When I was drying the car, I just extended the door handles and dried each one with no problems.

One thing that was difficult was getting under the windshield wipers. I couldn't figure out how to put up the windshield wipers. I usually keep it up when i'm washing my other cars. The frunk was blocking them.

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately salt corrosion is​ an issue with aluminum.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...cKiIFn6tJyLYl1esla Model S P85, Signature #882 (Formerly BYT_P1,837)
    Also reserved another Model S, #17,213

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    Unfortunately salt corrosion is​ an issue with aluminum.
    Galvanic corrosion can be an issue with aluminum where it is in direct contact with other metals, like steel or copper, but that can be readily mitigated by keeping the metals separated, either by design or use of insulating materials between them where they must come into contact, like bolts. I presume Tesla has knowledgable materials engineers on staff and they did the right things here. If so, salt will be a non-issue. If not, then indeed there could be problems over time.

Aluminum, on its own, can be directly exposed to salt water for decades with only minimal surface pitting and no reduction in strength.
    Model S P85 VIN 03278 1/17/13. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.
    Model S P85D on order, ETA Dec. Black, Black, 21" greys, carbon, sound, tech, pano, jump seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceilidh View Post
    I am just repeating what I was told elsewhere. Most touchless washes I know do not utilize the same undercarriage sprayers that the conveyor belt type wash places use. This could account for the difference, but I may well be wrong.
    The touchless wash I use does, but if you buy a less expensive wash package, you can get it without the undercarriage spray...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by byt View Post
    I LOVED that system, but it has been discontinued

It's been discontinued? So they still sell the supplies for it at least as I still have the system.
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...cKiIFn6tJyLYl1esla Model S P85, Signature #882 (Formerly BYT_P1,837)
    Also reserved another Model S, #17,213

Quote Originally Posted by byt View Post
    It's been discontinued? So they still sell the supplies for it at least as I still have the system.
    Supplies are discontinued as well (I still have the system too). I have been able to find some supplies on eBay in the US, but there are apparently restrictions on importing "chemicals" into Canada. There was a discount store near me that bought up a bunch of "remainders" the filters and soap, but they got cleaned out (pardon the pun) before I was able to get there and stock up.

For those that don't know, the big claim to fame was the special filter that created a perfectly contaminate free rinse, and the car would air dry to a perfect shine (no water spots) without any toweling off.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyAdopter View Post
    Not 100% sure, but I think the battery pack is encased in aluminum.
    No, steel. In the NatGeo Factory film, at 41.50, it's mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian H View Post
    No, steel. In the NatGeo Factory film, at 41.50, it's mentioned.
    Ah, cool. Thanks. Makes sense for the extra armoring and better containment of catastrophic thermal runaway.

Here's hoping that big slab of steel is properly insulated from the big hunk of aluminum (the body) it's attached to.

Thread Information