Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Mounted Charger(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Is there any reason that, in the future, Tesla wouldn't offer a wall mounted charger for sort of a detuned version of dc supercharging? So someone like me, who opted for the single 10KW charger, would be able to buy, say, a 40KW wall mounted charger in the future that powers directly to the battery? Just wondering why the chargers have to be in the car - they're not for the superchargers, correct? Just wondering.

That's an interesting question. I would guess that the main issue would be cost since you're going from a simple power control EVSE type unit to an actually physical charger...and at 40kW you're talking about 200amps I think, so a lot of juice. But why not a 20kW direct DC charger for home use? Same amperage as the current HPWC. Wonder what the logic is there.

The question comes down to this: is it more cost-effective to buy chargers and mount them in one physical location (your house), or to buy those chargers and mount them in the car? In a public setting, such as the Superchargers, Tesla thinks it makes sense to mount a lot of chargers in one location. At home, though, you won't need the capacity nearly all of the time.

Charging at home, you rarely are in a tearing hurry. A 0%-100% SOC charge can be done in about 4.5 hours with twin chargers. Roadster owners report that even that rate is probably more than you'll ever need -- at home. Where you want extra speed is on road trips, but then having paid to install extra charging capacity at home doesn't help you.

So, short answer: 20kW of DC charging at home means you have installed 2 10kW chargers at home, plus one in your car. 20kW of AC charging at home means you have twin chargers on the car, which is two-thirds the cost PLUS you can charge at up to a 20kW rate on the road. @cattledog's idea, while technically feasible, is likely to be either needed or cost-effective.