Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: WIFI Hotspot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched a video on turning a WIFI usb adaptor into a WIFI hotspot. The demo was on a windows machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6rZUgYWVcQ

Is there a way to do this via one of the USB ports provided?

No. The car's computer will not attempt to configure the USB Wi-Fi adapter (and won't do it for a wired Ethernet adapter either) as of the current software version.

However the car does have a WiFi radio in it and there has been talk that at some point the car will be able to become a client to connect to your phone (tethering) or to your home WiFi to receive software and to push media. They've also said that the car could become a hotspot allowing passengers to connect and use the car's 3G connection to access the internet (think kids in back seat w/ phones/tablets).

However the car does have a WiFi radio in it and there has been talk that at some point the car will be able to become a client to connect to your phone (tethering) or to your home WiFi to receive software and to push media. They've also said that the car could become a hotspot allowing passengers to connect and use the car's 3G connection to access the internet (think kids in back seat w/ phones/tablets).

OK, got it. Patience, not hardware required. So they plan on WIFI in both directions. Will anxiously await the next firmware upgrade.
Philip Macafee

Last edited:
Just got the word from tech. They will not support WIFI hotspot, because of the bandwidth use. Understandably, they have a fixed cost for the telemetry and adding a hotspot could push the data beyond the volume target with their carrier.

That only refers to Tesla's provided connectivity package, right? I hope they still allow you to tether your data device to the car to create a mobile hotspot (a truly mobile hotspot).

The car will be able to tether to wifi as well as enable USB tethering from smartphone to car.

Regarding the USB tethering, are you saying the car can use the phone's data plan, or the phone can use the car's data plan?

We've been resisting getting a second cellular data plan for my wife (stay at home mom), but if she could use the car's data plan while driving that would make sense for us.

Regarding the USB tethering, are you saying the car can use the phone's data plan, or the phone can use the car's data plan?

We've been resisting getting a second cellular data plan for my wife (stay at home mom), but if she could use the car's data plan while driving that would make sense for us.
As I understood you would be able to do both. The car can be a WiFi CLIENT and connect to your phone (or home WiFi) and use the phone's 3G/4G connection (or home broadband) for it's data. Or the car would be a WiFi ACCESS POINT and allow devices to connect to it and use the car's 3G connection for data.

The news about the second one not happening is a surprise. At this point Idk. Maybe a bunch of us should ask on the Tesla BB? Remember that there were reports that auto-presenting door handles would not happen and then they did.

As I understood you would be able to do both. The car can be a WiFi CLIENT and connect to your phone (or home WiFi) and use the phone's 3G/4G connection (or home broadband) for it's data. Or the car would be a WiFi ACCESS POINT and allow devices to connect to it and use the car's 3G connection for data.

The news about the second one not happening is a surprise. At this point Idk. Maybe a bunch of us should ask on the Tesla BB? Remember that there were reports that auto-presenting door handles would not happen and then they did.

My question is about the USB tethering - not WiFi, as PaMacafee seems to have answered that.

I am in NY State at my old home with MS for the first time. Got WIFI going at local library same as I used to with mac laptop. Works fine on 17in screen. So I am on TM website, NOT TMC, and decide to drive a half mile to see if it would still work. Still working! So I drive six miles home and still working! So I switch to TMC and now the Club Forum is working too. My 3G is showing 2 of 5 bars here. My guess is that if I go online with WIFI, then drive out of the wifi range, somehow the 3G will take over even though I have no 3G contract or plan.

I am in NY State at my old home with MS for the first time. Got WIFI going at local library same as I used to with mac laptop. Works fine on 17in screen. So I am on TM website, NOT TMC, and decide to drive a half mile to see if it would still work. Still working! So I drive six miles home and still working! So I switch to TMC and now the Club Forum is working too. My 3G is showing 2 of 5 bars here. My guess is that if I go online with WIFI, then drive out of the wifi range, somehow the 3G will take over even though I have no 3G contract or plan.

Hate to bust your bubble, but- 3G Internet is free for at least the next 4 years. You can thank Tesla.

I was thinking about getting a dash cam (Cobra CDR 900) that has a cloud service, but it needs to connect to the internet or 3g, then I can see a live view from anywhere in the world. Like when I leave my car at an airport or something.. It would be ideal if i could connect the dashcam to the car's 3g network. Is this possible??