Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Project: More light in Frunk and Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the light level in the Frunk and Trunk to be very poor. Here is what I did to brighten things up.
I purchased 2 of the following light kits from Fry's. There are available elsewhere.

OLSHAWHT2 Home Accent Expansion Kit

I also purchased 2) 5ft. extensions and 1) 10ft extension.

OLSHAEXT5FT Home Accent Extension
OLSHAEXT10FT Home Accent Extension

Pop out the 2 lights in the Trunk and the one in the Frunk (extra hard to remove). Unplug the light from it's wires. I used a small snap knife pop the lens off the LED base while holding the back with a set of Visegrip pliers.

8341326676_0f52b9b7c2_c.jpg

Cut one of the 1ft extension cords in half and strip back the wires. Marry the green and white (negative) and the red and black (positive). Then solder the wires to the pins providing power to the LED. I nipped the black housing a little to allow the wires to pass easier. Align the base and cover (they only go one way) and snap shut.

8340267523_ebabeca18c_c.jpg

Stick the light strip under the privacy shelf mount and feed the wire down through the vent opening and out of the light hole (coat hanger helps here).

8341325730_dd9dc29353_c.jpg

The Frunk wiring can follow the wiper hose at the hinge and tuck under the weather stripping. I stuck the light strip in the curve of the hood pointed back down the hood.

Trunk with:
8355992939_33792b1811_c.jpg

Trunk without:
8355992957_6102fe18bb_c.jpg

Frunk with:
8355992953_a1d4d4c06f_c.jpg

Frunk without:
8357056394_c8a63d9e77_c.jpg

Now there is plenty of light. :smile:

Last edited:
I found the light level in the Frunk and Trunk to be very poor. Here is what I did to brighten things up.
I purchased 2 of the following light kits from Fry's. There are available elsewhere.

OLSHAWHT2 Home Accent Expansion Kit

I also purchased 2) 5ft. extensions and 1) 10ft extension.

OLSHAEXT5FT Home Accent Extension
OLSHAEXT10FT Home Accent Extension

Pop out the 2 lights in the Trunk and the one in the Frunk (extra hard to remove). Unplug the light from it's wires. I used a small snap knife pop the lens off the LED base while holding the back with a set of Visegrip pliers.

View attachment 13932

Cut one of the 1ft extension cords in half and strip back the wires. Marry the green and white (negative) and the red and black (positive). Then solder the wires to the pins providing power to the LED. I nipped the black housing a little to allow the wires to pass easier. Align the base and cover (they only go one way) and snap shut.

View attachment 13931

Stick the light strip under the privacy shelf mount and feed the wire down through the vent opening and out of the light hole (coat hanger helps here).

View attachment 13930

The Frunk wiring can follow the wiper hose at the hinge and tuck under the weather stripping. I stuck the light strip in the curve of the hood pointed back down the hood. Sorry no pics.

Now there is plenty of light. :smile:

Great write up and post. Your solution is based on a suggestion that I made on Cinergi's post about the lighting in the rear of his S. Do both sets of lights (Modded and TM factory) work in concert? Also, please post some night time pics... thanks. Happy motoring.

I don't know when. The Dallas Service manager forwarded my idea to engineering. Considering, yes. Am I waiting for official approval, kind of.

If they don't want to make it a factory item, I'll release the part numbers and make an instructable for anyone who wants to make the same mods.

I improved the trunk lighting today it was fairly easy. I ordered some adhesive backed strip lighting from Eco Light. I used 4.6w per foot and is 12 volt. which is more than enough. Lower would likely work as well.

I pulled the carpet back in the corner and tied into the existing LED wiring. I soldered and taped my connections. I cut a small hole in the carpet to pass the wires through. I put some epoxy over the connector to make sure the strip would not be pulled out.

photo.jpg

Here they are turned on. They are very bright!

photo1.jpg

I took a photo from the front area of the trunk so you can see it compared to the existing LED. This is daytime. The adhesive backing is removed and the strip is stuck in place.

photo2.jpg

This material comes in a roll, and is enough to do 10 cars, but you will need additional terminals.

photo3.jpg

Here is a photo of the instruction sheet for termination, and the website for ordering. They seem like nice folks.

photo4.jpg

I may see if I can find a place to do the same mod for the Frunk as well.

Last edited:
I improved the trunk lighting today it was fairly easy. I ordered some adhesive backed strip lighting from Eco Light. I used 4.6w per foot and is 12 volt. which is more than enough. Lower would likely work as well.

I pulled the carpet back in the corner and tied into the existing LED wiring. I soldered and taped my connections. I cut a small hole in the carpet to pass the wires through. I put some epoxy over the connector to make sure the strip would not be pulled out.

I may see if I can find a place to do the same mod for the Frunk as well.

Very nice! Did you do this on both sides (L and R)?

Last edited by a moderator: