Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.1 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've needed to reboot the main screen 3 times in as many days with 4.1 because the screen is not functioning correctly.

1) Stays in 'Night Mode'
2) Turn signals work, but don't get the 'ding ding' audio. Which as quickly become my indication that I need a reboot.
3) General flakiness, noticed this morning the air suspension wouldn't work (fixing a curb rash today, so needed to enable JACK mode).

Reboot fixes it. This might be related to screen sleep (which is enabled).

Anyone else have this problem?

Note to Mods: Probably should have a separate sticky thread per firmware version.

I've needed to reboot the main screen 3 times in as many days with 4.1 because the screen is not functioning correctly.

1) Stays in 'Night Mode'
2) Turn signals work, but don't get the 'ding ding' audio. Which as quickly become my indication that I need a reboot.
3) General flakiness, noticed this morning the air suspension wouldn't work (fixing a curb rash today, so needed to enable JACK mode).

Reboot fixes it. This might be related to screen sleep (which is enabled).

Anyone else have this problem?

Note to Mods: Probably should have a separate sticky thread per firmware version.

I witnessed all three problems during yesterday morning's drive. My car was also asleep prior to that. I also noticed the outdoor temperature reported as "---".

I have had non notable 4.1 issues in > 1 month and 2000 miles

me too on 4.1 (1.19.31) for many days, no issues. and i note, knock on wood, i have not had to reboot any systems at all so far since taking delivery. on ONE occasion i did have an instance of turn signal not dinging, and the radio audio cut out for a second as well, but it fixed itself after couple seconds. we are driving a computer after all. it's not gonna be totally bug free just yet. some of these things that people are 'rebooting' displays for i feel are simply sub-systems taking a second to wake up and login to the data gateway in the car, so the temp setting and things like that will probably fix themselves after a minute or two.

i agree these little glitches shouldn't happen, but i for one, as an avid tmc reader as we all are, would appreciate a little less hysteria (not pointed at anyone in particular, just in general) about things when reporting them. some things, like stranded at a snowy roadside with dead 12v, yes, get slightly hysterical, seems warranted. things like no temp readout or momentarily absent sound fx... well, can we just keep a little perspective? by all means report it, and i do wish tm had a bug reporter system in place so they can be compiling all these events and sifting for important ones and persistent ones and the like, but maybe we can keep a little calmitude in relaying info to the group about our experiences with the car/software as we go. i'm getting to the point where i don't read certain threads anymore because people are posting the same freaked out posts over and over and the actual flow of information and meaningful discussion is near zero at times... AGAIN, not in any way directed at any post/poster in particular, or even this thread in particular (it just occurred to me again here, so i mention it.)

hopefully tm is working on a direct, simple, bug/issue reporting system that will enable all of us to feel confident that the powers that be have the feedback they can use to keep making the car better and better, and we won't feel the need to howl into the tmc wind quite as much. :)

I seen the turn signals work with no noise this morning and would add that some times my right blinker does a double flash between pauses where the screen looks like I am turning it on and off manually(the green shape goes away between the double flash).

We have had the control screen come on (or maybe never turned off) when the car has been left alone.
(This is the center 17" screen only, the dash is still off)
The first time was last week end, I came out to the garage and the heater and radio going full speed!
The TM support group had me reboot and said “good thing it was an easy fix”

Then last night while parked at the movie theater, we came back out to find the same thing.
I rebooted again sitting in the parking lot at 9:00 at night and hoping the screen comes back on.
It did, but this must have something to do with V4.1, because it had not happened anytime before.

yes, BUT it does not save it w/ driver profile settings. If you push P, then D, the setting goes back to auto (day, during day) I want night...almost always
also the seat heaters do a similar thing and turn off once you go to drive and you must re-push the heat button.

I haven't tried keeping the mode to night or day but my heated seats / climate controls come back to whatever they were when the car was exited. If i remember I will try the night day mode out on my way home and respond back.

When playing music from a USB thumb drive, if you choose the "Browse - By Folder" option, only song names show up when the music is playing, no album name, no cover art, it appears t doesn't look at any of the tagged info. Not sure if this is on purpose, I can't imagine why it would be.

No problems here at all. In fact 4.1 (1.19.29) fixed all of the minor bugs I had.

I recommend that when posting here members make a note and include in their post which version of 4.1 they actually have. Data points become much less meaningful without the secondary designation (e.g. 1.19.xx).

Last edited:
Ive had the blinker, screen, temp issues also. Reboot usually corrects it. Had to do it at least dozen times since delivery.

One strange issue I have every other time I've rebooted the center screen, is that as it reloads, when the tesla logo comes up it is striped, and then the screen boots up and stripes are all up and down the screen. You can just barely make out what is on the screen. Usually a reboot corrects it, but I have had to reboot up to 4 -5 times to get a normal screen twice. I'll try to get a photo next time. Anyone else seen this?

I was having the blinker/temp issues as well. I found after I rebooted both the main screen (hold the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel) and the instrument panel (hold the top two buttons above the scroll wheels) that I haven't had that issue recur.

I did have a scary moment today where my instrument panel appeared to be laggy when I turned on navigation. The speedometer animations were choppy and it even froze up a few times. The steering wheel controls were also non-responsive. After I turned off navigation, most things seemed to return to normal. It didn't do the same thing when I drove home later in the evening.

I did have a scary moment today where my instrument panel appeared to be laggy when I turned on navigation. The speedometer animations were choppy and it even froze up a few times. The steering wheel controls were also non-responsive. After I turned off navigation, most things seemed to return to normal. It didn't do the same thing when I drove home later in the evening.
OK, to clarify, you meant the buttons on the steering wheel were non-responsive, not the steering wheel itself. A quick read might lead to the wrong impression.

Heed that warning .... when the 12v dies, so does your car! WHEREVER YOU ARE!

YES, absolutely true!

Even more importantly, make sure Tesla determines the root cause. In our case, it was a bad component in our onboard primary charger that disabled the car completely.

- - - Updated - - -

hopefully tm is working on a direct, simple, bug/issue reporting system that will enable all of us to feel confident that the powers that be have the feedback they can use to keep making the car better and better, and we won't feel the need to howl into the tmc wind quite as much. :)

Yes, yes, yes!

I had the temp "---" issue and other wierdnesses going on (I don't remember specifics) so I rebooted both screens, but that has only happened once. The main thing I've noticed now is that the handle auto-extend is rather unreliable now. It seems significantly delayed after I've been away for 5-10 minutes. I'll have to either stand there waiting or give up and use the key to get the car to unlock. Other than that, and that very occasionally it won't connect to my phone, I haven't had any problems. Both of the issues definitely feel related to "sleep mode".