Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk/Frunk dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any good pics of the trunk and frunk showing the amount of interior space in them? Specifically, it would be great to have a couple of annotated photos of them indicating the L/W/D dimensions of the various sections. Specifically, I'm looking for the space without the rear child seats, without the rear panel, rear passenger seats up (not folded). Interested in the frunk's also.

I know there are some good pics posted in the various Amped and Delivery threads. I wonder if someone could take them and annotate them based on their measurements of their S. Or take new photos. Or point me to ones that may already exist.

Thanks in advance!

From placing a couple of plastic storage bins in the frunk, one has to be very careful to not end up with something that allows the frunk hood to only partially close (I think where only the one latch catches)

Once that happens, it takes a bit of coordination between hitting the frunk release button on the remote and bouncing the hood to get it to release.

The sloped nature of the frunk hood makes it a challenge with the bins I leave in there on a regular basis, as they are perfect for groceries when used side-by-side, but if I nest them to make room for a larger item they need to be rotated to avoid getting wedged near the front edge of the frunk.

let me know how these work. or if you need a more specific area.
in order
Trunk front to rear length
Trunk front to rear length
trunk width between wheels
trunk width behind wheel wells
trunk floor well width
trunk floor well front to rear
trunk well depth
trunk width at midpoint
same
trunk height
frunk width
same
same
frunk extra area width
same
frunk extra area depth
frunk height at rear
frunk height at front
same

IMG_1061.jpg
IMG_1062.jpg
IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1064.jpg
IMG_1065.jpg
IMG_1066.jpg
IMG_1067.jpg
IMG_1068.jpg
IMG_1069.jpg
IMG_1070.jpg
IMG_1071.jpg
IMG_1072.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg
IMG_1074.jpg
IMG_1075.jpg
IMG_1076.jpg
IMG_1077.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg
IMG_1079.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluewish
Has anyone made a measurement from ground to top of trunk rear lift gate when fully opened? Wondering how high the ceiling of the garage needs to be to open it fully. Thanks.

The rear hatch can be set to only open to a certain height, so the garage height isn't a problem.

My understanding is this is true only with the Tech package. For those ordering without Tech it would be nice to know the height of the hatch from the ground.

The description of the Tech package shows power lift gate. I don't know if the stop is an integral part of the power lift gate or not. It would be nice if there was a description of each feature so that you would know what you were actually getting.

The description of the Tech package shows power lift gate. I don't know if the stop is an integral part of the power lift gate or not. It would be nice if there was a description of each feature so that you would know what you were actually getting.
Post on Tesla forum from an owner who received car without Tech reports there are no user selectable stops on the lift gate hatch without the Tech package. It apparently opens all the way.

So again: Anyone with a car willing to post the measurement from ground to top of rear hatch opened all the way? Thanks!

Anyone with a car willing to post the measurement from ground to top of rear hatch opened all the way? Thanks!
That turned out to be more challenging to determine than I'd expected, ended up standing on a step-ladder, balancing a level on topmost section of the raised tailgate, marking the spot where the level hit the garage door, and then measuring that distance to the floor.

I came up with 7'-1/2" (84.5"), probably +/- 1/2" due to reading the level in a poorly lit garage.