Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Creep or Not to Creep?

Do you have Creep on?

• Yes

Votes: 55 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 83 57.6%
  • I toggle back and forth depending on my mood

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Arnold Panz

Model Sig 304, VIN 542
Apr 13, 2009
Miami, Florida
I've heard different opinions from owners about whether or not they leave creep on or off, and why they choose one or the option. I've had creep on since the beginning, but now am considering turning it off, and would like to hear the experience and opinions of other owners.

I was one of the people who wanted it but it was not an option when I got the car (hasn't got the software update with it at the time). Now I just leave it off, think I like it better that way.

Last edited:
I test drove with creep off and I like it... a lot. I plan on keeping it off when I get the car.

I've only ever owned manuals (you know, being a real he-man and all that sort of thing ;)) so that might have influenced my feelings. I dunno. It certainly made regen seem natural (feels like engine braking, more or less).

Initially, before I received delivery of my Model S I thought that creep might be useful to help me slowly pull my car into our garage. I guess I was basing this on my experience with conventional cars. However, after I actually tried parking with creep off I realized that it was just the opposite. Without creep I could move the car even slower than with creep on, as slow as I wanted go.

Now I never use creep.

Larry

Can you elaborate why you feel creep is useful for parallel parking?
My street is steeply crowned, and parking spaces are typically tight (especially for a car as large as the MS). Typically requires 3 or 4 forward/backs to get in or out of a spot, relying on centimeter clearances front and back. I was having a hard time in those conditions keeping just the right level of thrust.

(For the record, I plan to avoid parallel street parking whenever possible; regardless of how careful I will be, others are far less careful.)

I'm curious how the creep function works. Driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic, I'm used to the car in front of me moving forward while the break lights are still illuminated. If you have creep turned on, does it function just like an ICE? I would be terrified that if I had creep turned off in traffic and I just let off the break to accelerate a few more feet, the guy behind me not paying attention might think traffic in front of me is clearing up and he'd plow right into the back of me. Is this an irrational fear?

People who haven't driven the Model S and are coming from automatic cars--and I'm assuming that's most folks--don't need something else new while they are familiarizing themselves with it. You really don't want them to panic should the car roll backwards on them on an almost flat road.

personally, i very much like creep. i tried with it off for a bit, but i like being able to inch forward at stop lights and signs, parking and in traffic without moving my foot to another pedal. works very well for me. actually surprised how many people keep it off. chacun á son goût.

this is what's so great about a firmware controllable car, we can have myriad options to suit all styles. (within reason of course.)

I'm curious how the creep function works. Driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic, I'm used to the car in front of me moving forward while the break lights are still illuminated.

That seems odd to me.

If you have creep turned on, does it function just like an ICE?

Millions of manual transmission ICE cars behave just like the Model S without creep.

I would be terrified that if I had creep turned off in traffic and I just let off the break to accelerate a few more feet, the guy behind me not paying attention might think traffic in front of me is clearing up and he'd plow right into the back of me. Is this an irrational fear?

No fear is irrational if it's yours but manual transmission cars never had creep and they don't get run into either (at least not more than automatic cars do). Nor do they move forward with their brake lights on.