Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fun in the New England snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have fun in the snow over the last 24 hours? My Tesla will be a daily driver with winter tires for the winter (as I did with my last RWD daily driver - a 99 BMW M3). The car is due in a few days wearing 21s - I have the winter 19s waiting for me at Tesla Watertown, an immediate first stop.

My driveway is certainly going to be a challenge - up a hill, pretty sharp turn and at the moment, pretty icy. All these threads on how "well" the Model S is doing in low traction conditions, particularly in Quebec, has me slightly concerned. Maybe time to do a heated driveway? :)

The start of the driveway is like this (driveway on the right):

Driveway1.jpg

And ends like this at my garage (still uphill):

Driveway2.jpg

Anyone having fun out there?

I took a Sunday afternoon drive today, up from Boston to Chester NH (chosen at random - "second star to the right, and straight on towards morning" navigation technique). Route: I-93 N, MA 125 E, I-495 E, MA 125 N, NH 121 N, NH 102 W, I-93 S. Roads were mostly clear; absolutely no issues with the Model S, even on a few segments where high winds were causing some drifting on rural New Hampshire roads. I was never in the "uphill from a stop" situation, though, which others have reported to be a real issue.

i went out in the most recent snow storm. i was driving on my all season tires and didn't have any issues. the biggest problem was the other drivers. the suv in front of me spun out on a short uphill and came to a complete stop. once she started back up i was on my way with little difficulty. definitely prefer AWD but i think my model s will be fine through the winter.

@Alset, which winter tires did you go for?
I have the stock unstudded tires waiting for me in Watertown. The car arrives Wednesday morning so I'll likely get the tires on within a few days. I can enjoy the non-winters for a few days at least. :)

My driveway is mostly melted right now with just some stubborn ice at the bottom and top of the hill. Shouldn't be an issue for now. I'll be able to report on actual usage in the next storm (likely in MA & ME).

My New S (December) -- 1/14 Major Sleet & Rain to Hartford/back to Westport -- 160 miles 11pm for UCONN v Louisville (loss- boo). It was great/fine; but I was not driving over 65 mph. I felt secure. However, in winter weather, I am not pleased about the Passenger Window Whistling sound, which is on Tesla blog as an issue. Anyone else experience? Had car to Queens Service - this item not repaired. MORE SNOW predicted in Mass/CT Jan 16 - will go for another Spin.

drove this morning in the snow. roads weren't plowed yet. can't stand the snow with traction control. IMO it's too sensitive. took traction control off. definitely spinning the tires a lot but i think it's better than no power at all. would love to hear other's thoughts on this, particularly in today's snow.

I have the Tesla winter tires now and absolutely no issues today on unplowed or plowed driveway/roads. Acceleration, cornering, braking all very good. Not much of a test with only 2-3" snow. I think 12"+ and ice will be more challenging.

drove this morning in the snow. roads weren't plowed yet. can't stand the snow with traction control. IMO it's too sensitive. took traction control off. definitely spinning the tires a lot but i think it's better than no power at all. would love to hear other's thoughts on this, particularly in today's snow.

traction control is probably too sensitive in winter condition.