Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Dyno Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
granted there is lots of torque but they should be able to cross strap it down hard enough to get some stick out of those 21s.

That's not the problem. The problem is that unless the rollers are very large (several metres) it takes only a couple of minutes for the tires to build up enough internal heat to ruin them. That's why slave tires are normally used by competent shops. (I have seen many tires that have dynamometer damage. Most owners were surprised when I asked them if they had put their car on a dynamometer.)

That's not the problem. The problem is that unless the rollers are very large (several metres) it takes only a couple of minutes for the tires to build up enough internal heat to ruin them. That's why slave tires are normally used by competent shops. (I have seen many tires that have dynamometer damage. Most owners were surprised when I asked them if they had put their car on a dynamometer.)

I have never heard of this before. I have run plenty of my cars on a dyno for tuning sessions and never had any tire issues. No sidewall damage, tread issues, or unusual wear.

A good buddy of mine is heading to the dyno next month and I planned to take the S and strap it to the dyno. I'll report back with the results.

FYI - This is a Mustang dyno that will be used.

I have never heard of this before. I have run plenty of my cars on a dyno for tuning sessions and never had any tire issues. No sidewall damage, tread issues, or unusual wear.

The tires always look perfect coming off the dyno. It's only later that problems show up and only the tread is affected. New tires are more likely to have dynamometer damage than half-worn or lower tread depth tires.

this is not true.... I've run plenty of cars on the dyno, no issues... should be interesting to see how the power looks on the dyno, with no gears, I guess you just run it from a slow roll to 130 MPH.... might have to pull the traction control fuse if the car complains....

The tires always look perfect coming off the dyno. It's only later that problems show up and only the tread is affected. New tires are more likely to have dynamometer damage than half-worn or lower tread depth tires.

Here is the read out from the run (which was in Austin) which was passed around on the Austin Tesla email list.

image.png