Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Squeaks, Creaks, and Rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a recurring rattle that has caught my attention and curios if anyone else has it....

Rattle appears to be coming from the crossbar cover area on the pano roof.

Anyone else notice anything?
The rattle in the cross bar is a known issue that service can fix. I, unfortunately, have a creak in the fixed piece of glass behind the cross bar that they need to figure out how to fix.

Yes, it is from the cross bar. I put in three foam pieces this week and eliminated the noise completely. Drove me crazy thinking it was inside the pano roof, but when I investigated it's the two metals at the front of the bar that are hitting and making the rattle noise. I used some packing foam for hard drives squeezed between the two pieces to avoid the noise. Nobody would every see it unless I showed them the sliver of foam that is sticking out.

Minor inconvenience until my store opens in Columbus, Ohio.

Yes, it is from the cross bar. I put in three foam pieces this week and eliminated the noise completely. Drove me crazy thinking it was inside the pano roof, but when I investigated it's the two metals at the front of the bar that are hitting and making the rattle noise. I used some packing foam for hard drives squeezed between the two pieces to avoid the noise. Nobody would every see it unless I showed them the sliver of foam that is sticking out.

Minor inconvenience until my store opens in Columbus, Ohio.

I think I found the spot and inserted some foam as well... We shall see if the rattle is history or if more foam is needed.

UPDATE: Rattle solved.

It was not the center pano cross bar cover. The sound echo from the pano roof made it appear to be from that area. It was actually a wire in the rearmost headliner. I think its to the map lights ... but its not secured and was the source of the rattle. Very weird because I had Tesla service guy ride in the back seat and the rattle was not there at all. But I refused to give up and had some foam left over from some packaging and crammed it in there ...trying to hold the wire above the foam as the source was the wire contacting the backside of the headliner. But, appears to be solved now.

20121222_124543.jpg

this is one of my main concerns as i approach receiving this car.

I HATE RATTLES.

this is also the reason i just changed my delivery from "at home" to "at the Tesla Store/Service Center" in DC. i want them to prep the car, and I'm going to go in there with a list of things that i read in this forum. the problem with the sunroof not opening, the pano rattle mentioned here, black grease smudges on the b-pillar. going to do a thorough inspection before i drive it away and have them do the pano rattle fix before i even leave.

this is one of my main concerns as i approach receiving this car.

I HATE RATTLES.

this is also the reason i just changed my delivery from "at home" to "at the Tesla Store/Service Center" in DC. i want them to prep the car, and I'm going to go in there with a list of things that i read in this forum. the problem with the sunroof not opening, the pano rattle mentioned here, black grease smudges on the b-pillar. going to do a thorough inspection before i drive it away and have them do the pano rattle fix before i even leave.

I pulled the plastic cover on the cross bar.... Not much there to create a rattle. Mine was a true task to find. Isolating the sound was a major challenge by myself and while driving no less.

This thread is a perfect example of why I frequent this forum. The fact that people not only troubleshoot these issues themselves but then go on to take the time and effort to help others is really quite impressive.

I don't even have my car yet and already I know more about the inner workings of it and how to fix common issues than I ever learned from Chilton guides to old Hondas or vehicle manuals for my current Kia.

Thanks a ton for being so awesome all.

Can't wait to see you all on the road. If I meet any of you while charging in the future...

Cheers

In addition to the creak I have in the fixed section of the sunroof, I also have a creak that comes from the seatbelt tensioner. It's very annoying as it is right next to my left ear. In the course of normal driving your body makes the seatbelt move in and out of the tensioner. When doing this mine creaks. I showed the LA service center both creaks and they are going to attempt to fix them next month when they are less busy. When I last spoke with them they said they've now had a few other people notice the seatbelt tensioner creak. Hopefully the factory can come up with an easy fix.

My Model S has a rattle somewhere in the front left area of the cockpit. I can't quite narrow it down to exactly where it is coming from. Pretty annoying.

I too have this rattle. Took my car back to the service center (Portland) and tech could not duplicate it. Driving home on a rough stretch of I5 pavement I heard the rattle again.

wonder if there is something common here, maybe a connector or wiring bundle not secured?

I too have this rattle. Took my car back to the service center (Portland) and tech could not duplicate it. Driving home on a rough stretch of I5 pavement I heard the rattle again.

wonder if there is something common here, maybe a connector or wiring bundle not secured?

I have a squeak from, driver side, the black liner next to the window, where my elbow likes to live. The liner appears a bit loose. Not a problem on the passenger side. A buddy, 4gofuel, also has the same issue. I've reported it to Ownership, but until I am near a service center, I will have to let it go.

I know of non rear map light cars with this rattle, so either yours is a separate rattle or the wire is to something else...

i believe even the cars without the rear map lights are pre-wired for them, so.. still could be that wire. many of these rattles may be wires behind the panels that are yet to be really tied down, waiting for vanity mirror lights, rear map lights, etc... all things they have prewired for.

fwiw.

Originally Posted by William3
My Model S has a rattle somewhere in the front left area of the cockpit. I can't quite narrow it down to exactly where it is coming from. Pretty annoying.

I also have this rattle in the front left of the cockpit, sounds like it could even be in the dash or in the wheel well area. I notice at low speeds, sometimes as I am stopping, turning, or starting, and a couple of times when going over speed bumps at ~5mph. Sounds like a common problem - once one of us finds the source, hopefully we can all use the same fix.

My car developed a rattle while driving back from Los Angeles to San Diego tonight and was driving me crazy. It would stop if I held the trim directly to the left of the 17" screen. If I removed my hand it would start back up again while at highway speeds. I later corrected the problem (at least for the duration of the drive) by pushing in on the CF trim pieces just left of this initial screen trim border.

I'm hoping it doesn't come back tomorrow. Also got my first series of TPMS alerts from 4.0. Fun.

First time I took my daughter in car, I remarked about the quiet. She said, "Dad, within 3 months there will be a rattle and you'll be out of your mind." She knows me too well. So, I'm starting this thread to report squeaks, creaks, and rattles... and more importantly how to remedy them.

Only thing I've noticed yet is a "knock, knock, knock" that seems to come from lower part of driver door whilst driving, particularly on bumpy roads. Well, I figured it out. The seat belt receiver (hard plastic) bumps against the bottom of the seat (hard plastic) making the knock. Remedy: get an adhesive felt patch (about a zillion of them at Home Depot) and put it on inside of seat belt receiver where it is knocking against seat. Problem solved.

Reactions: PtG62901