Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Performance in cold temperatures....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't find it now. . . But I remember seeing this answered somewhere.

Li-ion cells are less affected by cold than other battery chemistries. Also the battery pack has a heater which keeps it from freezing. It was said that if the car is very cold it may take a few minutes to warm up the batteries.

I'm guessing they meant it takes a few minutes to get them up to their normal power output -- not necessarily to get the car moving? But I can't swear to that. It might be a good question to ask Tesla and get some clarification. They probably haven't done any cold weather testing yet, so they might not be completely sure of the answer yet either.

I wonder whether the Tesla battery heating will only kick in at the time that a person wants to drive the car or whether it operates in any degree while the car is just sitting. If it continues to operate, it would be nice to know how much draw occurs to know how long before the vehicle no longer has sufficient charge to run. Based on this speculation, I would imagine that the heater only kicks in when it's time to drive.

At what temperature would there be insufficient charge available to even heat the batteries?

What happens if the Roadster is "cold soaked" at 5F overnight, the next morning the owner gets in the car, the batteries charged overnight.

The owner starts the car, turn on the heated seats, turns on the heater(instant heat), turns on the CD changer, some sort of heating mechanism will start warming up the batteries and by pass the cooling radiator, turn on the lights is early morning winter still dark outside. The Roadster has vacuum power brakes, an electric vacuum pump is operating to create vacuum for the brakes.