Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

407 ETR Transponders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had any luck with their 407 ETR (or similar) transponder on the Model S? I suspect my transponder is dead and have asked the 407 ETR to send me a new one. Speaking with customer service folks they do have a list of certain vehicles which have "metalized" windshields which means they will not work with the transponder. Based on the threads about the US EZ-Pass issues I'm wondering if the Tesla Model S needs to be added to that list.

Based on the threads about the US EZ-Pass issues I'm wondering if the Tesla Model S needs to be added to that list.

I haven't got my S yet, but in reading those other threads, I had assumed the 407 transponder was going to be a problem. What does the 407 do in those cases? Do they have some other exterior-mounted device, or do they just let you through on your plates without the extra fee?

Many people are mounting those types of receivers behind the plastic nose cone b/c of the windshield issues.

Not sure the unit is sealed well enough to survive that, but certainly an option.

What does the 407 do in those cases? Do they have some other exterior-mounted device, or do they just let you through on your plates without the extra fee?

They said if I can't get the new transponder to register that they would add the Tesla Model S to their internal list of cars that do not work with the transponder. You would need to call them to have your account flagged so you don't get charged video toll fees. I'm sure they'll still want to collect the annual transponder rental fee though - but I'll push back on that if this does happen.

They said if I can't get the new transponder to register that they would add the Tesla Model S to their internal list of cars that do not work with the transponder. You would need to call them to have your account flagged so you don't get charged video toll fees. I'm sure they'll still want to collect the annual transponder rental fee though - but I'll push back on that if this does happen.

I have two transponders currently. I actually don't think it's unreasonable to pay the transponder fee as long as they waive the video toll fees. After all, you would normally have to pay the fee to have the extra charges waived. One problem with video tolling is that sometimes charges don't appear for months on your bill. I think they actually have live people reviewing tapes to get all the plate numbers. I occasionally expense toll charges, and my employer needs receipts.

The Peace Bridge- which connects Buffalo to Fort Eerie, Canada uses E-ZPass which has an external transponder option that mounts on the license plate frame. I wonder if 407 ETR is compatible with this type of system. If so. you could just get an external E-Zpass transponder and link it to your account.

The Peace Bridge- which connects Buffalo to Fort Eerie, Canada uses E-ZPass which has an external transponder option that mounts on the license plate frame. I wonder if 407 ETR is compatible with this type of system. If so. you could just get an external E-Zpass transponder and link it to your account.

I duuno. There was talk years ago from the 407-ETR that they wanted to make their transponders inter-operable with other systems, and I think the Peace Bridge was singled out as one possibility. I don't believe it ever came to pass.

There's a fair bit of room inside the plastic nosecone... maybe you can find a way to mount it in there. It's pretty easy to pop off. Just get an old credit card and pry one corner up. When it pops work your way across popping the rest of the clips.

Any Sig owners have any further luck? I got a new 407 ETR transponder and so far it has only beeped once out of the 15 trips I've done with it.

I picked up my car Saturday and noticed that there is a larger area of the black dotted surface on the passenger side of the mirror. I checked, and the forward facing sensor (for the auto dimming feature) on the mirror is on the driver's side. It's almost as if Tesla is saying to mount the sensor in this area on the passenger side so you don't block the sensor on the mirror. I'm gonna try holding the transponder in this area a couple of times before I put the velcro holders on permanently.

If it's a radio transponder then I'd suggest you forget windshield mounting and instead tuck it in behind the nose cone. (A lot of people are having trouble windshield mounting transponders in the States; there's a whole thread on the topic.)

I posted instructions on the previous page... but here again: To remove the nose cone, use an old credit card to pry up one corner. Once you have popped it out then work across to the other side popping out each hook. It's actually quite easy to do, once you see how it works. Then velcro mount it to the car and reattach the cone over top. It's plastic so the RF will go right through it.

• Helpful
Reactions: X.l.r.8
If it's a radio transponder then I'd suggest you forget windshield mounting and instead tuck it in behind the nose cone. (A lot of people are having trouble windshield mounting transponders in the States; there's a whole thread on the topic.)

Yeah, I've been following that thread closely. I use the 407-ETR a LOT and need to understand this issue. The transponder is RF and battery-powered. You're supposed to pay attention to the red, yellow and green lights on it and to the sound it makes, so hiding it in the nosecone isn't ideal. Even just the extreme temperature on the battery could be an issue.

I have heard that the 407-ETR folks will cut some slack for cars with these kinds of windshields. You still pay the transponder rental, but they won't ding you for having to read your plates if the transponder doesn't get through.

I still have to give them a call to register my new car and plates, so I'll bring this up and see what they say.

I have heard that the 407-ETR folks will cut some slack for cars with these kinds of windshields. You still pay the transponder rental, but they won't ding you for having to read your plates if the transponder doesn't get through.

Called and confirmed this is the case. The guy on the phone even knew what a Tesla Model S was (which was better than my first few experiences with my insurance company!)

Called and confirmed this is the case. The guy on the phone even knew what a Tesla Model S was (which was better than my first few experiences with my insurance company!)

I had quite the back-and-forth with 407 ETR escalating to the Office of the President before they would flag my Model S to ensure video toll charges would not be applied. My experience is that the transponder cannot reliably operate on the windshield -- I did manage to get it to pick up once on the way in, but it failed to pickup on the way out resulting in an "approximate exit" calculation on my bill. I don't want to be bothered (as there is nothing in it for me) to pull apart the nose cone and install the transponder.

At this point my car is flagged but I am still watching the bill like a hawk because they tried to ding me for a new account fee, plus did not apply the flag for video toll charges when they first said they did. All I can say is you will need to hold them to account and don't be afraid to escalate. It seems like one of those dreadful organizations that I would never want to set foot in as far as work goes given the lack of responsibility within customer service to follow through on actions.

Also, note that a transponder is assigned to a vehicle plate -- if you have new plates they insist on sending you a new transponder. No wonder we're getting hosed on toll fees.

No luck getting the 407 transponder to work. I've tried it in all of the locations mentioned in the larger thread on US EZ-Pass problems. I'll have to keep an eye on my bill to see if the 407-ETR lives up to their promise of waiving the video toll charges. Since it doesn't seem to work inside the car anyway, I may just go ahead and try Doug_G's suggestion of putting it behind the nose cone. If it doesn't work there, I'm no worse off.

I have managed to get my 407 transponder to work reliably by putting it vertical (90 degree rotation from normal) directly to the right of the plastic that supports the rear view mirror. For the unit that I have, the lights on my transponder are at the bottom in this configuration. For some reason, if I put it the other way round, it doesn't work. The bottom of the 407 logo is towards the passenger side of the car.

I have managed to get my 407 transponder to work reliably by putting it vertical (90 degree rotation from normal) directly to the right of the plastic that supports the rear view mirror.

Cool. I don't think I've tried that exact orientation. I've tried a lot of times against the black dots on the right side of the mirror. It sure seemed to me that Tesla was identifying this area for transponders and such. It is only on the right side of the mirror, and you wouldn't want a transponder on the left side because it would block the light sensor on the back of the mirror.

I'll give that a go next time. Have you mounted yours or are you just holding it there? I don't want to stick it in place until I'm sure it'll work.