Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav System: Home address / navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had two people drive their Model Ses to our house yesterday...and both of them said the Google maps looked OK, but the turn-by-turn directions took them to the next cul-de-sac. I gotta try it in my car.

Can enter my home address in the maps and it finds it, and puts a pin in the exact location, but when we select navigate to that address, it will not do it. We just get the spinning wheel. If I select just the street name without an address, it can navigate to it. What gives? Seems like very strange behavior.

Probably because Google Maps has good data (complete data), but the lame Navigon system has incomplete/faulty data and doesn't even have your address in the database.
Tesla really screwed the pooch with this hybrid navigation fiasco. If they would have just used Google navigation (either the Android version or the iPhone version) then everyone would have been much happier. Plus the Google software would cache the data for use when there's no cell signal.

Had he exact same issue. Tesla looked at it and said my address wasn't in the TomTom database. Not sure I buy that one.

Can enter my home address in the maps and it finds it, and puts a pin in the exact location, but when we select navigate to that address, it will not do it. We just get the spinning wheel. If I select just the street name without an address, it can navigate to it. What gives? Seems like very strange behavior.

Had he exact same issue. Tesla looked at it and said my address wasn't in the TomTom database. Not sure I buy that one.

That really doesn't make sense given that Navigon is a Garmin product - why would the TomTom database matter? And for those that claim that Google turn by turn would have been better, I've had issues before with Google's address locations whereas the Garmin database has always served me well (much better than TomTom). Just goes to prove that it depends on your geographic area.

Probably because Google Maps has good data (complete data), but the lame Navigon system has incomplete/faulty data and doesn't even have your address in the database.
Tesla really screwed the pooch with this hybrid navigation fiasco. If they would have just used Google navigation (either the Android version or the iPhone version) then everyone would have been much happier. Plus the Google software would cache the data for use when there's no cell signal.

strange thing is our address is in every other GPS database. we have never had a problem with it. house has been here for 30+ years.
the only issue i have with the google maps is 3G coverage. just on the drive south from the factory to Socal, we lost 3 G coverage probably 3-4 times. and thus lost the maps. but dont see a reason why they cant cache the maps from the beginning.

That really doesn't make sense given that Navigon is a Garmin product - why would the TomTom database matter? And for those that claim that Google turn by turn would have been better, I've had issues before with Google's address locations whereas the Garmin database has always served me well (much better than TomTom). Just goes to prove that it depends on your geographic area.

Perhaps Navigon hasn't switched to their data provider. TomTom started as a maps data provider and built a product on top of it.

And I do buy that the address isn't in the database. About 5 years ago, it took me a while of filing cases and escalating with various maps providers because the maps of the day would place someone searching for my home either a) 1 miles south in the middle of a farmer's field; or b) couldn't find my particular block of my street and would dump you in the center of town (which is 3 miles from me). Subtract 100 from my house number and you were directed correctly.

I found out just who uses whose maps data based on these "features".

Strange thing is today we went out to the movies and on the way home it was able to navigate to our home. Guess it just needed to rest overnight in its new home before navigating to it.
However today we noticed on the way home, we went slightly off route from what the Nav was saying. It quickly corrected to our new route, but the google maps was still showing the old route, which was just the next road over.

Perhaps Navigon hasn't switched to their data provider. TomTom started as a maps data provider and built a product on top of it.

And I do buy that the address isn't in the database. About 5 years ago, it took me a while of filing cases and escalating with various maps providers because the maps of the day would place someone searching for my home either a) 1 miles south in the middle of a farmer's field; or b) couldn't find my particular block of my street and would dump you in the center of town (which is 3 miles from me). Subtract 100 from my house number and you were directed correctly.

I found out just who uses whose maps data based on these "features".

Based on my understanding, Garmin / Navigon uses NavTeq mapping data, TomTom uses TeleAtlas mapping data (TomTom now owns TeleAtlas). These agreements have been in place for at least 5 years or so, if not longer. Navigon was using NavTeq maps even before they were purchased by Garmin. I had a standalone TomTom unit that could not find my previous house no matter what - Navigon never had issues. I know people who had the opposite experience - TomTom did great for them and Garmin didn't. Like I said, I don't think that any one mapping company is clearly superior - there are likely pros and cons to both just depending on how good / up to date the maps are for your locations. Google used TeleAtlas's data briefly before dumping them and going on their own for their Google Maps.

Will this be Tesla's "AppleMaps" moment? :redface:

I just want to put it out there as general feedback that I would give the navigation feature on the Tesla a grade of D. It's barely passable. My 7 year old Lexus IS blows it away. So many things wrong with it. Even with two different screens it's often hard to understand exactly where it wants me to go. The map often can't redraw itself quickly enough to keep up with the car. Zooming in or out makes it stop tracking the vehicle. There's no "home" option. It has sent me to the wrong place on several occasions. Feels like the top street listed is sometimes the street you're on and sometimes the street you're supposed to turn on next. Bottom line is that is it does a poor job of navigating me from point A to point B... which is its only job. Given the technology and the amazing amount of screen real estate, I simply can't believe how bad it is compared to a car seven years older. My only hope is that updates will save it.

I've got to agree with the D grade on navigation and that's being generous given how much I paid for the thing. Our 2004 Honda PILOT is more accurate (the Tesla missed a famous NJ landmark by 6 miles, it missed my cigar shop by 1.4 miles). what's going to happen when I try it out on somewhere that I've never been? Also it has no way to avoid taking me down back alleys. The thing consistently takes me through the worse parts of Trenton. The PILOT offers toll free routes and Easy Routes and has never routed us through the hood. The 3G isn't fast enough to make the navigation system responsive. Tesla can't remember locations other than in history (i.e. favorites). I can't string together trip segments like Google.

It's not populated with items of interest like the PILOT or my verizon smartphone like restaurants and gas stations (of course charging stations would be more appropriate).

This is before it doesn't do what it really needs to do and help plan out a trip and advise on range given topography, traffic, temp and speed limits along with charging opportunities.

The navigation system in this car needs to be much more than navigation, it needs to deal with range anxiety and help us cross the chasm to an electrified highway system.

Right now it doesn't even navigate well.

The two system combo (google and garmin) is weird and probably causing more headaches for the engineering team than they thought.

Random thoughts:
* Traffic re-routing: gmaps and garmin probably want to route things differently. If google maps says take a different route because of traffic, garmin also has to match this route (and vice versa) or else your directions will be out of sync. I don't think Tesla has the ability to tell either system how to navigate.
* Garmin COMPETES with Google Maps (Garmin partners with NAVTEQ to withstand competition from Google maps | Telematics Wire). They are independent companies so Garmin may think that your address is at X, and google maps may think that it's at X+100 feet...
* Google search on maps is awesome. But, Tesla should team up with Garmin or Google and work on a dedicated system. I vote for Google, and think they should work with them on integrating something similar to the Android and iOS's google map apps so that it runs on both the 17" display and drivers display.

Unlike my previous car, a 6 year old Lexus, the software we have today will be updated and improved. While my old Lexus had a better Nav system, other than annual map updates (at $250 each year), that system didn't change and was locked into the same features as Day 1. The Model S software will get better, and with the capabilities in the car, should be a great system - if we give Tesla time. . .