Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two firmware version designations. Why-O-Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whose brilliant idea was to have two firmware version #s? We started with the 1.X.Y series and than at some point in their wisdom Model S software team added 4.X to the mix. Now to top it off we even have non 1-to-1 mappings (e.g. 4.1 is 1.19.27 and 1.19.29). Why all the confusion? What was wrong with the good old basic software version designation (Release.Major.Minor) they started out with? :confused:

Whose brilliant idea was to have two firmware version #s? We started with the 1.X.Y series and than at some point in their wisdom Model S software team added 4.X to the mix. Now to top it off we even have non 1-to-1 mappings (e.g. 4.1 is 1.19.27 and 1.19.29). Why all the confusion? What was wrong with the good old basic software version designation (Release.Major.Minor) they started out with? :confused:

Probably so a shorter, simpler number for some customers to remember but I agree it is a little odd.

Marketing vs. Engineering: the Epic Battle.

Engineering loves a good hierarchical versioning scheme that helps in maintaining software module dependency clarity and the like.

Marketing loves ideas like the Roadster being "Car v2.0", "Car v2.5". Therefore the first Model S's were "Car v3.0" and now "Car v4.0" that we're in the production ranks. (Note: pure speculation and BS'ing... this may be what they're thinking, but I'm an IT Engineer by background so don't trust me for any clever marketing advice. I once invented a product name which was a clever misspelling of a common word, and unfortunately it stuck and caused problems for a long time.)

Whose brilliant idea was to have two firmware version #s?

I think they started with the 1.xx.xx and then decided to try and simply it to v4.x hence the 1.xx.xx is now in ( ). Fair of you to ask the question, but personally it's waaaaay down the list of anything that might bother me.

- - - Updated - - -

Do the Canadian models need a slightly different firmware version to address things like compulsory (non-switchable) DRLs?

Probably.

Are both sets of version tracking numbers visible in the same UI screen?
So far.

I suspect and worry that will change with 4.2, and perhaps 4.1 -- partly in response to feedback about the multiple flavors of 4.0 that have been released.

Lesson: Be careful what you complain about; the resolution often goes counter to what you'd like.

a pic would be awesome. it sucks enough not being able to go down to my garage and check for myself.

IMG_1450.jpg