Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I thought we get 31 miles per hour with NEMA14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first time, I paid attention to the charging info after I plugged in my car. I noticed that I am charging at only 14 miles per hour as shown below:
ChargeRate.JPG

With my NEMA 14-50, I thought I should be charging at 31 miles per hour. Below is what the Tesla website says:
ChargingRatesFromWebsite.png

Is there something wrong with my setup? Or am I misunderstanding something? What are other Model S owners seeing?

Yeah, you should get more than that. The display says you are at 236V and 40A, so it's not like you have greatly sagging voltage, or lowered current because your connector is not fully inserted.

My best guess (?) would be that you recently plugged in, and it diverted power to cooling the battery or something like that first. The number should rise after a while.

Do you have pre-4.0 software and your speedometer range set to Projected?

I have version 4.0 and I believe that with this version, I cannot set the speedometer range to projected. It is always rated, I think.

Does this affect charge rates?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, you should get more than that. The display says you are at 236V and 40A, so it's not like you have greatly sagging voltage, or lowered current because your connector is not fully inserted.

My best guess (?) would be that you recently plugged in, and it diverted power to cooling the battery or something like that first. The number should rise after a while.

My car is not charging at this time, I am going out to plug it in and then sneak out 30 minutes later to see what the charge rate is.

I have version 4.0 and I believe that with this version, I cannot set the speedometer range to projected. It is always rated, I think.

Does this affect charge rates?
In pre-4.0, the Projected vs. Rated display setting impacted the reported charging rate (in miles) in the UI. AFAIK, it didn't affect the actual rate of charging.

In 4.0, I presume(d) that the Rated vs. Ideal has a similar impact but given that both Rated and Ideal are fixed numbers there isn't the same sensitivity to driver history that Projected had.

Francis, I was wondering the same thing - I usually only see about 20-21 mi/hr when I charge at home with my 14-50 outlet. I also see about 39-40 amps on the right side of the display - pretty much exactly what your picture shows above. I have never see anything above 21, not even close to the 31 defined by Tesla. I was wondering if the HPWC will make a difference when it arrives?

Francis -

First of all, congrats on software V 4.0. I'm still waiting for mine. I can tell you have yours since the picture you posted is not a red Signature Model S.

Secondly, the last picture that you posted shows the car at 238 miles. In my Standard charging mode (and I haven't made any adjustments to this - not sure if you are able to do so), that's about the limit that I charge to. Therefore, the car is getting close to it's max range in Standard mode and will automatically back down the charge rate (but that isn't indicated on the current draw).

You may want to take a picture and post it after about 20 mins. of charging but way before you hit 238 miles on the charge meter. If it is still only showing 20mph, then perhaps a screen reset will solve this (not sure, but just reaching for a possible solution).

Do you have a single or dual chargers in your car? I was told by a Tesla engineer that the cars with only one charger charge a lot slower than those with dual chargers. I got up to 29/miles with 40A at 203V on a NEMA 14-50 (but only after a while of charging). Have dual chargers.

I believe 4.0 has a bug where it's showing projected MPH for charge (even though you can't select project as an option anymore). I'm observing the same inaccurate number -- but it will vary quite a bit between sessions even with the same voltage and amperage -- and I believe that's because it's using projected range. I also did some math and it seems to line up wth that theory. I already let ownership know. I'm not sure if it's fixed in 4.1 (I haven't tested yet).

- - - Updated - - -

Is it correct that you are at 90% SOC?

The charging slows down as you approach a full charge. It doesn't matter if you are plugged into a NEMA 14-50 or a supercharger, the battery will limit the charging.

Not true for a standard mode charge at 240/40 in the Model S.

Do you have a single or dual chargers in your car? I was told by a Tesla engineer that the cars with only one charger charge a lot slower than those with dual chargers. I got up to 29/miles with 40A at 203V on a NEMA 14-50 (but only after a while of charging). Have dual chargers.

Single charger is 31mi/hr on 240volt. Dual charger is 62mi/hr but requires HPWC. Says so right on their page. http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/highpower

I've found the display of miles per hour of charging is averaged over a long, long period of time. Right now my car shows 183 miles rated range, 1 hr 56 minutes remaining to charge, 245V @ 40A, although it shows 21 mi/hr charge rate. I've found the "remaining to charge" to be calculated correctly.

Your voltage is slightly lower, so your miles per hour will be lower, but only by 1 mph or so.

Single charger is 31mi/hr on 240volt. Dual charger is 62mi/hr but requires HPWC. Says so right on their page. http://www.teslamotors.com/charging#/highpower

I was told that cars with only one charger take quite longer for all charges compared to those with dual chargers. The mechanics in the Tesla Center in Queens told me, that at their NEMA 14-50 outlets, the singe charger cars take almost 40% longer to charge than those with dual chargers (at the same outlet). It has to do with the fact that in the master-slave-configuration of the dual chargers, they even charge quicker if only 5 or 8 KW are provided.