Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone receive a car without the Tech Package yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There were several posts on the Tesla forum about people anticipating receiving delivery of 85 kWh cars without the Tech Package in the last half of December.

If you have received a car without the Tech Package would you mind commenting on what kind, if any, of navigation came on your car? Do you simply have web-based, static Google maps without GPS (route guidance only) as has been expected, or do you have Google maps showing car location pointer with GPS like a smart phone app?

What is the standard rear view camera display like?

Anything else you'd like to comment on?

Thanks!

No tech pkg here. Put the $$ into twin chargers instead. Btw, should be called 'tandem chargers' as they do not have independent inputs.

Rear view camera covers the top half of big screen so I run it at night. Especially while the mirror is adjusting to night setting. Mirror too bright initially, so I have to turn it out of view, and rely on the camera. Having the camera fill up the top half is much better than anything else available. The bottom half is a white "no phone connected" irritating waste of space, but as it gets dark outside this half goes black still with the nag message. The black almost retreats from view. I would prefer to be able to black out the bottom half completely for night driving. Btw, the camera is plenty bright but not irritating as you drive.

Bring my own paper maps with me as always. Advise how to bring up Google Maps & I'll try. Do miss an altimeter as in my Roadster.

Lack of GUI for the most part. Confusing array of boxes to punch. Why not emulate heater/AC knobs as actually found on a typical classic car? Then you can suss the setup with just a glance. Isn't that what GUI is all about? Choosing amongst boxes after you have guessed the logic scheme employed is dreadful. Needs more work.
--

No tech pkg here. Put the $$ into twin chargers instead. Btw, should be called 'tandem chargers' as they do not have independent inputs.

Rear view camera covers the top half of big screen so I run it at night. Especially while the mirror is adjusting to night setting. Mirror too bright initially, so I have to turn it out of view, and rely on the camera. Having the camera fill up the top half is much better than anything else available. The bottom half is a white "no phone connected" irritating waste of space, but as it gets dark outside this half goes black still with the nag message. The black almost retreats from view. I would prefer to be able to black out the bottom half completely for night driving. Btw, the camera is plenty bright but not irritating as you drive.

--

When you have time, can you post some pictures of what your non tech setup looks like during day and night??????? Thank in advance.:biggrin:

So are EC mirrors are included in the non-tech package?
Nope. I really like those mirrors too.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the quote for what is missing (the other stuff is really minor; even the liftgate isn't considered by the owner as an issue)
As for the Xenon headlamps, Electrochromatic side mirrors, LED foglights, and Homelink; they are all things I can live without and don't have an opinion. I drove home in daylight so didn't get to check out the Halogen headlights, but they came on when I entered my darkened garage and seemed plenty bright. The DRLs are cool too.

Please post pics of the non-tech-package headlights if possible!?

I have a non-tech 85 Kwh S that was picked up on 12/29/12. We opted for the 85 Kwh battery rather than the tech pack and audio upgrade. Here is a head light on and off.
IMG_4142.JPG
IMG_4145.JPG

The pictures were taken in my garage with no one in the driver seat. If you need a bigger pic or one with the fog lamps let me know and I'll repost. I've heard that the brightness of the DRL's change when the car is in drive vs park but I can't verify that.

The navigation system is Google maps. It is different from the regular Google maps. It has a night and a day mode as well as a custom search results box which gets annoying since it pops up over the map and you can't close it without also removing the search results from the map. When you tap the location icon in the upper right of the screen it shows your position with the arrow/marker and it follows you for a bit (I haven't timed it) then stops following you.

The car has interior ambient lighting and I am curious as to how it differs from the tech package lighting. I have lights in all four doors and in the foot wells of both the front and rear seats and in both the trunk and frunk.

The two things I'd like to have a la cart from the tech package are the Homelink option (really, I need a visor remote???) and the power trunk. The power trunk only because depending on how the car is pulled in to the garage the trunk lid will hit the hinges on the garage door. It would be nice to have the option to limit how far the trunk opens.

i noticed your screen has "Enter/Exit" in place of the driver profiles that the tech package has. How does "Enter/Exit" work?

- - - Updated - - -

... or did you (wisely) create a driver profile called "Enter/Exit" that pushes the seats back for different-height couples?

i noticed your screen has "Enter/Exit" in place of the driver profiles that the tech package has. How does "Enter/Exit" work?

- - - Updated - - -

... or did you (wisely) create a driver profile called "Enter/Exit" that pushes the seats back for different-height couples?

I have non tech pkg and driver profiles are included. You put your name in and it locks the seat position for you. Google maps works with satellite, maps and traffic modes, but no NAV. I assume Tesla blocks that since google maps is Internet based and it would seem that the 3G would other pick that up. You can use the voice command and say something like "where is Starbucks" and it will show locations on the screen. With NAV, you could say "drive me to Starbucks". Door handles come out if you touch them and have the fob, but not automatically as with Tech pkg. they do retract by themselves.