Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Tire Repair Kit details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Could someone that's purchased the Tesla branded tire repair kit post details on it. Is there a manufacturer name on it? Do you know the maker of the sealant? I assume it's just a rebrand of another company's repair kit. The Tesla price of $50 is good compared to the similar style kit I found on Amazon (Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System 12-Volt : Amazon.com : Automotive ) which is $72, but once you add the $25 shipping charge it is a few bucks more than the Amazon one (with Prime). I'm wondering if the Tesla labelled one is available elsewhere for $50 with free or cheaper shipping.

I particularly like the Tesla and the Slime brand linked above since it's a one button push for both the sealant and the air rather than trying to juggle that dang sealant bottle. But I need to have something in the car 'just in case'.:scared:

Could someone that's purchased the Tesla branded tire repair kit post details on it. Is there a manufacturer name on it? Do you know the maker of the sealant? I assume it's just a rebrand of another company's repair kit. The Tesla price of $50 is good compared to the similar style kit I found on Amazon (Slime 70005 Safety Spair 7-Minute Flat Tire Repair System 12-Volt : Amazon.com : Automotive ) which is $72, but once you add the $25 shipping charge it is a few bucks more than the Amazon one (with Prime). I'm wondering if the Tesla labelled one is available elsewhere for $50 with free or cheaper shipping.

I particularly like the Tesla and the Slime brand linked above since it's a one button push for both the sealant and the air rather than trying to juggle that dang sealant bottle. But I need to have something in the car 'just in case'.:scared:

It just says 'Made in China' on it with some part and serial numbers on it. Can't find a brand name but it could be under the label which I don't want to peel off at this point. I'd imagine it is simply a rebrand on someone's kit as well and you could probably find similar kit for cheaper but it wouldn't say Tesla on it=)

I ordered that one on Amazon, haven't received it yet, but it was $47 or so a few days ago via Amazon direct and not $72 from the 3rd party seller. It's only for last resort measures, I have a safety seal tire plug kit and viair 088 compressor here that I may just put in bag in the frunk.

I'm guessing Tesla is not even shipping a scissor jack or lug wrench. WIthout those tools doing a roadside / parking lot tire fix is limited.

I ordered that one on Amazon, haven't received it yet, but it was $47 or so a few days ago via Amazon direct and not $72 from the 3rd party seller. It's only for last resort measures, I have a safety seal tire plug kit and viair 088 compressor here that I may just put in bag in the frunk.

I'm guessing Tesla is not even shipping a scissor jack or lug wrench. WIthout those tools doing a roadside / parking lot tire fix is limited.

Can you post links to the tire plug kit and compressor?

Is this it?
Amazon.com: Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor: Automotive

I can't believe it runs off of a 12V outlet. That's a powerful Air Compressor so makes sense to keep that in the frunk. I guess if the Tesla one works though I might just keep that.

Is this it?

I can't believe it runs off of a 12V outlet. That's a powerful Air Compressor so makes sense to keep that in the frunk. I guess if the Tesla one works though I might just keep that.

I have a Viair 90P compressor for my Leaf and just wanted to warn you that the 88P and the 90P require a direct connection to the battery. The 88P's maximum current draw is 19 amps (source) which would overdraw the Model S cigarette lighter socket (fused at 15 amps). And given the issues that people have been having with getting access to the Model S 12V battery lug nuts, may be easier to just call roadside assistance or look for a lower powered air compressor (may take longer to fill but may be easier to use).

I have a Viair 90P compressor for my Leaf and just wanted to warn you that the 88P and the 90P require a direct connection to the battery. The 88P's maximum current draw is 19 amps (source) which would overdraw the Model S cigarette lighter socket (fused at 15 amps). And given the issues that people have been having with getting access to the Model S 12V battery lug nuts, may be easier to just call roadside assistance or look for a lower powered air compressor (may take longer to fill but may be easier to use).

Thank you. I have the slower Tesla approved model so I'll just stick with that.

This is what I purchased a few years ago for my Lotus Evora - no spare in that car also, and is now in the trunk of my Model S:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tire+repair+kit+with+12+volt+air+compressor.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

I did get a flat one day in the Lotus, luckily at home, I noticed it when backing out of the garage. So, this was my perfect chance to test out the kit. Without jacking up the car, I located the hole, followed the instructions using the tool to "round out" the hole, then pushed in one of the tar covered patch plugs. Used the compressor to test it out also, and then drove around on it for a few days. No problem at all. However, I still went and had the tire removed and patched properly from the inside. But there are many people that leave it like this permanently. I will avoid using the spray can stuff unless I have no other choice because I understand it really messes up the inside of the wheels, tire, valve, TPMS, etc.

This is what I purchased a few years ago for my Lotus Evora - no spare in that car also, and is now in the trunk of my Model S:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tire+repair+kit+with+12+volt+air+compressor.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

I did get a flat one day in the Lotus, luckily at home, I noticed it when backing out of the garage. So, this was my perfect chance to test out the kit. Without jacking up the car, I located the hole, followed the instructions using the tool to "round out" the hole, then pushed in one of the tar covered patch plugs. Used the compressor to test it out also, and then drove around on it for a few days. No problem at all. However, I still went and had the tire removed and patched properly from the inside. But there are many people that leave it like this permanently. I will avoid using the spray can stuff unless I have no other choice because I understand it really messes up the inside of the wheels, tire, valve, TPMS, etc.

Amazon has something similar but $10 cheaper and it includes the Slime/sealant in case of back-up. Maybe I'll just go that route. It makes a lot of sense to avoid destroying the TPMS for a simple puncture. And on a trip I'd rather live with a quicky repair for a day or two.

Is this it?

Yup, that's the one, I leave in my current car just in case. It's too strong for the 12v lighter, so it'll need a direct battery hookup or that convenient set of jumper posts in the nose cone. I has it's own built in fuse so a direct connection is fine. The Slime Spair also is a compressor so I could use that too. I've offended the God of tires in a past life, as I get a flat almost every year.

Here's what I've used in the past and bought a brand new set for the model s:

http://safetyseal.com/store/autokits.htm

Not sure how easy this would be use without taking the tire off though... It's easy once the tire is off but have never done a repair while the tire is still mounted on the car.

Yup, that's the one, I leave in my current car just in case. It's too strong for the 12v lighter, so it'll need a direct battery hookup or that convenient set of jumper posts in the nose cone. I has it's own built in fuse so a direct connection is fine. The Slime Spair also is a compressor so I could use that too. I've offended the God of tires in a past life, as I get a flat almost every year.

Here's what I've used in the past and bought a brand new set for the model s:

http://safetyseal.com/store/autokits.htm

Not sure how easy this would be use without taking the tire off though... It's easy once the tire is off but have never done a repair while the tire is still mounted on the car.

Thanks. Just ordered it. Better to be prepared I guess. I'd rather only use the sealant as a last resort too so this will help.

You folks are absolutely crazy to waste money on a kit that includes sealant.

The Griots package is superior.

All that slime is going to get you is an extra costly removal of the tire, cleaning out everything and HOPING the TPMS sensor doesnt have to be replaced, then recalibrated and so on and so forth. NO THANK YOU!

You folks are absolutely crazy to waste money on a kit that includes sealant.

The Griots package is superior.

All that slime is going to get you is an extra costly removal of the tire, cleaning out everything and HOPING the TPMS sensor doesnt have to be replaced, then recalibrated and so on and so forth. NO THANK YOU!
I know I ended up spending more money but doesn't that tire repair kit with the Tesla air pump do the same thing? I would only use the sealant if I had to (couldn't get a tow).

I know I ended up spending more money but doesn't that tire repair kit with the Tesla air pump do the same thing? I would only use the sealant if I had to (couldn't get a tow).

If you have a nail in the tire, it has to be removed. Your tire will be fine if plugged properly. If you are a real stickler, then take it to a shop and have an internal patch put on. But for 99.9% of the folks, a plug will last as long as the tire.

Sealant wont remove the nail, which is still a trip to a tire store where they will likely put a plug in .....and, in my experience, sealant rarely actually works unless the leak is insanely slow.

If you actually get a puncture ...say running over a board with a nail and there's an actual hole, you may be able to cram the neck of the sealant tube in there to slow the leak, but you aren't going to stop it.

If you have a nail in the tire, it has to be removed. Your tire will be fine if plugged properly. If you are a real stickler, then take it to a shop and have an internal patch put on. But for 99.9% of the folks, a plug will last as long as the tire.

Sealant wont remove the nail, which is still a trip to a tire store where they will likely put a plug in .....and, in my experience, sealant rarely actually works unless the leak is insanely slow.

Thanks. That is what I was looking to do. With a flat, I simply want to get somewhere safe (either home or to a tire repair place) to take care of the problem.

Last edited:
The problem with a plug (where you don't demount the tire) is that you don't get to inspect the inside of the tire. Many times the penetrating object will scratch the sidewall which later leads to a blowout. A plug kit is great to get you going again--and far better than the slime--but later you should have a proper inspection done.

My current car has no spare tire; I was concerned about the spray in inflate/seal type products so stopped in at Les Schwab Tires and asked about it. I has assured that the product was easily removed from the inside of the tire and rim when the technician has the tire off the wheel and that it would not cause a problem with the TPMS. So, this is what I am depending on if I have a flat.

Perhaps an unrelated question, but I'll ask anyway.

My understanding is that the service plan (4yr, $2400, included Ranger visits) "doesn't include tires". But does the plan include ranger visits to repair tires, diagnose whether they need replacement, and have them replaced (for tire cost + perhaps a small fee)?