Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats your opinion on what Tesla is doing for the country.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

danny

TMCing Since 2006
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006
California
Referral Code
I personally think what tesla is doing is so important to the country and the world as a whole. Here is a list why:
1. No more oil money going to mid-east therefore they will have to modernize in order to stay rich(I'm talking about the princes and leaders over there)
2. Less influence to oil industry.
3. Less money to fund terrorist groups.
4. Less pollution in cities and for the world.
5. Slow down global warming.
6. Cheaper energy

Think about all the wasted energy in a Internal combustion car that can be used for other things now.
If tesla takes off, and thats up to us, a lot of huge problems will be helped imho.
What do you think?

Tesla Motors is not big enough to change the things all by it self. And it wont be big enough for that for quite some years to come.
But, if properly managed, it can (and I very much hope it will) show the world that it could be done. That electric cars are viable option and that there is a big market for it. Bigger companies will then jump into the bussines and help change the oil dependency.

I forsee that in 10years time, current gasoline and diesel cars will be frowned upon as very oldfashioned, unclean and unelegant.

Reactions: FlyF4
well i hope greenspeed is right and that it happens quickly
i think also that when tesla starts getting bigger other countries around the world will see that we aren't driving huge gas guzzling suv and that we actually care about the environment.

GreenSpeed said:
I personally think what tesla is doing is so important to the country and the world as a whole. Here is a list why: 1. No more oil money going to mid-east ... If Tesla takes off, and thats up to us, a lot of huge problems will be helped
Greenspeed, you are absolutely right. But how can we convince my giant-truck driving neighbors to buy a Tesla?
Vern

• Disagree
Reactions: diesel
My opinion is that the Tesla actually is bad for the environment. I mean, it still uses electricity which is made from coal which is a worse pollutant than gasoline. Not to mention that people will drive the car too fast which would then create more pollution because it will use up its battery faster. And it will also cause more accidents because people will drive it too fast and no one will be able to actually hear the car go by...there'll be lots of Tesla crashes from stupid drivers. And the decrease in dependence on oil will increase our dependence on the Appalacian coal mines and also on the wind. Can you imagine being dependent on people from West Virginia? And what if, what if some day the wind just stops blowing? Our entire world will be destroyed!!! Oh the humanity!

jadresak said:
My opinion is that the Tesla actually is bad for the environment ... it still uses electricity which is made from coal which is a worse pollutant than gasoline.  ... And the decrease in dependence on oil will increase our dependence on the Appalacian coal mines and also on the wind.  Can you imagine being dependent on people from West Virginia?

I am not sure you were serious with your comments, but just in case you were:  I lived in Huntington, WV, for 5 years, and I know what you mean about West Virginians.  But the most coal is far away from there-- in Wyoming, for example. 

Mr. Jadresak, any time you spend reading the White Paper, at www.teslamotors.com, or statements by Martin Eberhard, like the one at http://www.teslamotors.com/blog1/ , which includes the text below, will immeasurely improve your information base: 

"The neat thing about electricity is that pretty much any burnable fuel can be converted to electricity efficiently.  Sure, there are quite a few inefficient old power plants from the ‘50s still running, but modern, readily-available technology means that even coal can be gasified and burnt cleanly and very efficiently in a combined cycle plant.  This is nice to know, considering that we are sitting on an enormous reserve of coal.  If there ever was an OCEC (Organization of Coal Exporting Countries), we’d be Saudi Arabia, so to speak.  General Electric makes an advanced, combined-cycle natural gas generator called the H-System Generator that measures in at 60% efficiency ... "

Reactions: diesel
I think he was speaking tongue in cheek, but who knows.

I don't think this car or even Tesla will change the world alone, but what I think they've done is change thousands, and perhaps millions of individuals perception of the electric car.

If you mention electric around anyone not intimately familiar, and even some of those, you get this glassy eyed look because they think of boxy, slow, maintenance heavy sacrifice cars. When people, even motor heads see this car they go "ooh, I want that." When they hear that it's electric, they immediately think slow but then see the 0-60 acceleration and think again.

I think Tesla has fundamentally changed U.S. perception of electric cars from piles of crap to overly expensive, but desirable cars.

I'm skeptical that Tesla can ramp up to changing the world single handedly. I imagine big-auto will kick it in gear and come out with something better than Tesla can possibly produce. Big-auto has the money to make molds and production lines and the experience to make parts and pieces that will last and be cheaply mass produced. Tesla will most likely be the company that forces their hand at least.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Today's 5th anniversary of 9-11 probably had most of us recalling our thoughts and actions back on that milestone of a morning. But most of my thoghts now revolve around how to rid ourselves of our "addiction to oil," whcih I foresee as a serious problem for our country...one no politician, oil company or auto manufacturer is willing to change because they stand to lose the monopoly of the status quo.

I bought a Passat TDI to run biodiesel on it, and will buy the next viable and better option available that aids in weening our country off of the oil. It is not a money saver for me, but I feel better driving around knowing I'm sending out a message that states I'm sick of the status quo. I hope Telsa realizes that many of us little folks out here are watching and waiting...literally counting the days till we have a solution on the road. My hope is that Telsa can do 80% of what it claims...then lookout OPEC. Keep up the good work, it's one way to "save the world."

Tesla has restored America's standing as a world leader in automotive technology, design, engineering and manufacturing. I should say the world leader, because no other country has produced a car that can touch the Tesla. All Americans should take pride in this monumental achievement.

I have owned a number of fine, expensive German and Japanese cars, but none came close to the Tesla. Until Tesla, I really thought Americans simply weren't good enough to compete. Now I know we are, if we just give geniuses like Elon Musk and those working for him enough room to innovate

I personally think what tesla is doing is so important to the country and the world as a whole. Here is a list why:
1. No more oil money going to mid-east therefore they will have to modernize in order to stay rich(I'm talking about the princes and leaders over there)
2. Less influence to oil industry.
3. Less money to fund terrorist groups.
4. Less pollution in cities and for the world.
5. Slow down global warming.
6. Cheaper energy

Think about all the wasted energy in a Internal combustion car that can be used for other things now.
If tesla takes off, and thats up to us, a lot of huge problems will be helped imho.
What do you think?

Seeing all the recent headlines recently I think they have made a difference. So many established companies are going electric. Tesla showed people the electric cars is real. Still early in the game but I think Tesla started the wave.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I would like to see us tap the solar wind and wave energy we are blessed with, run our homes businesses and cars with dirt cheap power. I would like to see mankind evolve to have technology serve cure and protect us as I thought we would be doing at this stage in my life. Elon's Tesla is the only company moving America towards the future our potential promises us. Tesla sharing their tech to the benefit of mankind earns my trust that I may see some of my dream before I depart this earth. I love what Tesla stands for and I hope politics and greed don't @#$%# it up.

WarpedOne stated about 10 years ago: "I forsee that in 10 years time, current gasoline and diesel cars will be frowned upon as very old-fashioned, unclean and unelegant."

So I guess he was wrong.

I see current petro cars as sooooo 20th Century. But they still look new-fashioned, clean, and elegant. A lot of them look pretty much just like my Model S90D.

What is going to happen in the next 10 years? I believe that Ford and GM will suck the profits while they can, then disappear. Like Big Tobacco did, and like Big Sugar will. But I predict that Volkswagen, Diamler Benz and maybe BMW and Nissan, and a couple Japanese and Chinese companies, will follow Elon Musk and make a 21st-Century car. Particularly VW. They have a reason to make up for what they've done.

Funny, I didn't even notice this was a ten-year-old thread until I got to the mention of the Volkswagen TDI. Thought it was tongue in cheek for a while there!

I think we're pretty well on the way, a couple more years and I think ICE cars will be considered relics even in the mainstream media. I'm amazed how many people don't even know Tesla's current valuation. I just gave one of my favorite Gearheads a chance to drive the car. He couldn't stop accelerating! His comment was, "wow",