Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sig vs production in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I have my name down for a sig, ( I converted at no additional deposit), I am having second thoughts. As it stands, it appears that there are under 100 total reservations in Australia, so, other than a badge or two and a red colour and " white" seats, there is no advantage to us here. Our total back order will be fulfilled in a weeks production ( even if reservation figures are totally wrong). The cost differential will be large whether for performance or standard. Unless there is a major incentive offered, I would seriously consider getting a general production, with more options at a lesser price and better colour choice for the car. 21 inch tyres are much dearer than 19s and will last far longer too. With no deduction for "downgrading" what really is the benefit? A " collectors car"? Maybe in 20 or 30 years time.
Any thoughts anyone?

You'll certainly be one of the unique with a Sig, but if that doesn't matter to you then it makes little sense to pay the Sig premium.

I was considering a sig, but yeah as there are such low production numbers and I'm looking at Green+Grey Model S Perf, there was no advantage to go for the sig.

Also, I am currently driving a 2012 300C Luxury, so I'm happy to have that as long as I need to until I get my Model S Perf non-sig

I was considering a sig, but yeah as there are such low production numbers and I'm looking at Green+Grey Model S Perf, there was no advantage to go for the sig.

Also, I am currently driving a 2012 300C Luxury, so I'm happy to have that as long as I need to until I get my Model S Perf non-sig

Been doing a bit more thinking, the sig (when priced up in USA pricing), is only ~$7k more.

This for the white seating and Signature Red, may be worth considering. Then again, when converted in Australia, it'll prob be a ~$20k difference lol

The factory can produce all of the Australian sigs in a single day so any advantage of a signature reservation will be small.
Only worth it if you really want signature red IMHO.

Yeah, I just upgraded my reservation to a Signature. :)

I did the calculations, based on getting the 21in wheels (which will be a ~$3500 option on the Performance pack from 2013), as well as the options I want, (Tech Package, Sound Studio, Parcel Shelf, Twin Chargers), it only worked out to be a US$2300 difference between the non-sig Performance and the Signature Performance.

US$2300 to get it sooner, in Sig Red, with the White interior, I'm sure the Sig will pay off with resale value as one of the first 1000 to come to Aus.

Also, I remember seeing on a CarSales ad for a roadster, that the roadster was flown over here from the Tesla Factory, rather than shipped. It'd be interesting to see whether this is possible with the Model S, and whether the Signatures will be flown, and the normal cars shipped.

I'm just hoping that since I had my reservation already setup for the non-sig, (and I upgraded today, 31Dec), that I still get the discount from the price increase.

hi all

i think it would be difficult to speculate accurately... but i would say the sig would definitely attract more than that as a premium over here compared to the USA.

TBH unless they are going to play some silly buggers games... most of us general production cars would receive the car not too long after the sigs start arriving. due to low numbers of reservations over here.

i reserved at the beginniing of jan for model S and i am no 57! and just reserved for model X and i am no 4 ! LOL

so there you go...

certainly dont want to hand them 40k which would be better off sitting in my mortgage account.

spentan are you in perth????????? if so i would love to come and gawk at your sig when it arrives :) :) :)

hi all

i think it would be difficult to speculate accurately... but i would say the sig would definitely attract more than that as a premium over here compared to the USA.

TBH unless they are going to play some silly buggers games... most of us general production cars would receive the car not too long after the sigs start arriving. due to low numbers of reservations over here.

i reserved at the beginniing of jan for model S and i am no 57! and just reserved for model X and i am no 4 ! LOL

so there you go...

certainly dont want to hand them 40k which would be better off sitting in my mortgage account.

spentan are you in perth????????? if so i would love to come and gawk at your sig when it arrives :) :) :)

I think they will make all 500 RHD Sigs first before they make production ones. It all depends on what options u choose, with the ones I chose, it was worth only 7k USD to go to the sig, so I was like meh, kinda worth it.

i used to live in Perth, but am living in Canberra now.

actually looking at purchasing a property near Canberra but its technically NSW, so I won't get the duty exemption which is a bit of a bummer.

ah we'll, we'll see how we go