Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Brake & Accelerator Pedal Positions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I noted from day one that the pedal placement and spacing is wrong. The pedals are too close together and not off-set properly. I too find myself pressing the accelerator with the edge of my foot while pivoting over to the break. This is an issue that should be fixed in the production line and hopefully there can be an easy retrofit for existing cars. This IS a safety issue.

"Wrong" based upon what standard? The pedals are perfect for me. Extremely intuitive, I've never once hit both pedals at the same time. IMO any change would be negative. I just don't see how you can make a sweeping statement like "they're wrong". Perhaps they're not ideal for your particular driving technique, but for me they're great.

Mod Note
: This thread was created from posts in the Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues - Page 62 thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
And once again, anyone that expresses a concern, in the "mechanical issues" thread no less, immediately risks the tar and feathers routine. DrComputer, I've given you a +1 reputation to counter the negative ones you'll likely receive.
Nobody tarred and feathered...but he made a very sweeping indictment of the pedal placement and characterized it as a factual thing and a safety issue. He is an N=1 for that particular problem and more than likely it's due to his driving style, not something "wrong" with the car. He can make statements and deserves to be respected for his opinion, but he can't expect to state and opionion and have it accepted carte blanc.

Nobody tarred and feathered...
SuperCoug goes out of his way to drive home the (subjective) opinion that DrComputer isn't "like the rest of us". I thought it was pretty insulting. DrComputer's statement may have been sweeping and/or emphatic, but it wasn't calling out anyone personally the way SuperCoug did.

Fwiw I hit both pedals every other day or so. Maybe it's my driving style (used to one pedal driving) or my big feet.

I've never gone down to look at the pedal layout and compare it to other cars though.

I noted from day one that the pedal placement and spacing is wrong. The pedals are too close together and not off-set properly. I too find myself pressing the accelerator with the edge of my foot while pivoting over to the break. This is an issue that should be fixed in the production line and hopefully there can be an easy retrofit for existing cars. This IS a safety issue.

I noted earlier in the thread on my repeated experiences with this overlap. As I stated, it would seem to me that if the play on the brake pedal was adjusted to a higher position, the problem would go away. Pretty sure that would be a simple adjustment. And being out of adjustment may explain why some have more of a problem than others.

Reactions: beachmiles
As for my reputation, I don't mind being tarred and feathers every once in a while for my comments. It's keeps the conversation lively. I will agree that my comments about the pedal placement may have been sweeping and overly generalized, but pedal placement in cars is something that is pretty standardized and Tesla has chosen to, whether on purpose or by mistake, to not follow the norm. I drive MANY cars a year, from rentals on trips, to friends and family cars, to Mercedes AMG and BMW performance driving academies. As a bit of a car enthusiast I can say, without just random speculation, that the pedal spacing (distance apart), off-set (distance front to back) and relative position from the seat center is NOT optimal and is not the same as most other cars. Although after two months of driving my S I have become more accustom to the spacing, I still find myself pressing both pedals more often than I should. It may be more noticeable to people with larger feet (I wear size 11) since bigger shoes exacerbate the problem. Can Tesla "fix" this (if you agree there is a problem), sure. Will they? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

DrComputer or someone else, can you please post a pic of what the two pedals and their spacing/offset look like?

Here's what I'm used to in my current car:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355849755.382830.jpg

Here is a picture from my car.

Thanks! Hmm... at first glance, the pedals in the Model S do look closer together and with less of a depth offset between them. It's hard to figure this out from pics though; measurements should help.

The pivot point for the driver's heel when switching between pedals may make a difference too to this situation, I'd think.

Pedals aren't standardized, my employer rents many cars and trucks. I can tell you every Toyota I get into I hit both pedals. And dodge places the accelerator pedal closer to the foot well wall and my shoe rubs. Some makes place the pedals flush, other set the brakes back a half inch to an inch.

When I first got my MINI the pedals bothered me. Now they don't.

The photo is taken from an angle, though. With this angle, from the left, the pedals may look closer than they are, due to the brake pedal being more forward.

(Is the photo from a Model S? If so, then some seem to have bare metal pedals, while others have rubber-like covering.)

Yes this is from my Model S. I live in a cold weather state so it is possible that Tesla has different equipment for different states.

I find the pedals to be well spaced subjectively. Size 10 shoes.

I believe that if both pedals are pushed simultaneously that the brake should always rule. The accelerator should be temporarily disabled. If not true this might be a safety issue. I have never done this to my knowledge. I have rolled off the brake onto the accelerator multiple times successfully to do stand still then start up a hill.

I continue to hit both at least twice a day even though very aware and try to avoid it. I've owned a LOT of different cars over the years from minivan, BMW 740il, Corvette Z06 to Porsche Boxster and never had this happen before. I wear size 101/2 shoe.

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: beachmiles
I have hit both pedals at the same time with both feet. I am however an outlier with size 14 shoes. I wish there was some way I could move the pedals a little further apart
I wear the same size shoes but have never hit both pedals in any car I've ever owned. Must be the way I pivot my foot I guess. If changing things makes it better for more drivers though I'm all for it.

Last edited: