Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lift-over height for rear hatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't find this in Tesla's specs for the Model S. What's the lift-over height for the rear hatch? This is the measurement from the ground to the lower lip of the rear hatch -- in other words how far you have to lift items like a suitcase to clear the lip. Anyone know?

I seem to recall that by default the air suspension lowers which is supposed to be for ease of entry and exit. This always struck me as odd since this is a fairly low car to begin with and most elderly folks who need assistance to sit need a lift chair rather than something lower, so I would have assumed higher would be easier.

But considering the jump seats, maybe it makes sense. Would be much easier to lift kids over a lowered rear bumper than a raised one.

Your question brought this to mind... But I don't have the car yet so I will have to defer to others for the numbers.

Cheers.

I seem to recall that by default the air suspension lowers which is supposed to be for ease of entry and exit. This always struck me as odd since this is a fairly low car to begin with and most elderly folks who need assistance to sit need a lift chair rather than something lower, so I would have assumed higher would be easier.

But considering the jump seats, maybe it makes sense. Would be much easier to lift kids over a lowered rear bumper than a raised one.

Your question brought this to mind... But I don't have the car yet so I will have to defer to others for the numbers.

Cheers.

I will have to watch next time I open the back (e.g. watch the ride height). I will set it to max height and then open the back.