Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged front bumper...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was heading to my car yesterday and noticed some massive white scratches on my car. The paint armor is peeled back at some points and there are deep white scratches in a couple spots.

I don't think I hit anything, but the car is so damned big who knows. I certainly didn't feel an impact. My GF is convinced someone else hit me. I'm worried I hit the garage on pulling in.

What should I do? Insurance or no insurance?

I'm so sad :(

yhegavyn.jpg

Depends on your deductible IMO. I can say you WOULD feel a scrape that caused that much damage, so I'd put money on someone else hitting you. You'd KNOW you hit something. You might ask the service center for their estimate and make a decision based on your deductible.

Could you make a scrape like that and not know you did it? Is that white paint in the scrape?

That vertical scratch is inconsistent with the other marks.

Agree. There are two motions in that photo. A first hit and a second "oh sh**, what did I just hit" reverse of the white vehicle. Having said that, the rates should not go up, as it goes under hit-run or under/unsinsured, and your deductible may even be much lower. I agree as well to get an estimate. Don't futz around with this. Go top shelf and get her back to prime. I would.

Does show the Pacific Blue nicely though ... so you have that going for you ... which is nice.

I was heading to my car yesterday and noticed some massive white scratches on my car. The paint armor is peeled back at some points and there are deep white scratches in a couple spots.

I don't think I hit anything, but the car is so damned big who knows. I certainly didn't feel an impact. My GF is convinced someone else hit me. I'm worried I hit the garage on pulling in.

What should I do? Insurance or no insurance?

I'm so sad :(
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/18/yhegavyn.jpg

I'm willing to accept that I don't know what I'm talking about, but... the picture doesnt make it clear to me that any of it is a scratch deeper than the paint... is it? Could it possibly be 'buffed out' with a stone and a buffer?

David

p.s very sorry to hear of this

that certainly is not a bad hit and it is possible that you just slightly grazed something and you did not feel it, its on your front corner so likely you did it vs someone hitting you exactly there (sorry to say). I agree with the other posters that this may "buff out" as it looks not too deep. Either way I would get my insurance involved and work a professional fix. Good Luck!

I have a 500 dollar deductible. I'll head over to Menlo park today.

I think the circular hit on top went beneath the surface of the paint. I don't think it will buff out. But yeah there is a lot of white paint on the car.

I'm not seeing damage to your nosecone, though (the plastic part where the grille is normally located). I will warn people that one of the downsides of the hard plastic nosecone is that it's fairly sensitive to damage. I nosed too far forward into an angled parking spot on the side of a building, and nudged the building (highlighting the need for parking sensors...). That left a quarter-sized blemish in the nose cone. No obvious way to fix that.

By nose cone I meant front bumper. When I was at the factory I saw the entire front nose assembly in one piece. That's why I said that.

I still have no idea what happened. No marks in my garage, and I never felt anything. Tesla is working up a quote.

What's the condition of the big mark in the middle? Is it a hole or just a reflection from the flash? I think once all that white paint is off it won't look too bad. You can probably do a quick touch up with some touch up paint once we know the paint codes.

Otherwise it'll be pricey to remove the paint armor, fix the scratches, paint and feather/blend with factory paint and then reapply new paint armor.

:rolleyes:
I'm not seeing damage to your nosecone, though (the plastic part where the grille is normally located). I will warn people that one of the downsides of the hard plastic nosecone is that it's fairly sensitive to damage. I nosed too far forward into an angled parking spot on the side of a building, and nudged the building (highlighting the need for parking sensors...). That left a quarter-sized blemish in the nose cone. No obvious way to fix that.
Have you thought about wrapping the nose cone in vinyl? Carbon fibre could look really cool and Artsci has provided the means to remove the nose cone (separate thread), so you could leave it to be done and continue using your car in the meantime. Also, it would be repairable. You could choose gloss black if you don't like the idea of carbon fibre, and if it became damaged - well, it can be fixed.