Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cabin has always been toasty for me. I don't feel an ambient cold coming from the glass (windshield *or* pano roof), like I do in other cars. This is true whether ambient is 30, 40, or 50.

Can't speak for flasherz, but the 3-4 I Che's right below the glass is usually colder than the rest of the cabin.

There's no doubt that this is probably true, as glass isn't an R19 or R21 insulator. That said, I have found the cabin to be comfortable. Since v4.0 I've been running my cabin in eco mode and have been comfortable.

20-30 degree days / weeks in Chicago? How long have you lived here?
Hate to break it to you ... it gets a LOT colder. :) (You knew that?)

True. I've lived here long enough to know it gets a lot colder (and to repair pipes in my basement a few times), but 20-30 is the average in the winter. (And if you include last year, higher. :()

There is one thing delaying the finalization of my Model S, and it's the pano roof. I haven't been able to follow-up with everything on this board, but these are my concerns with the pano roof:

1. Head room. Not so much for myself, but for those occasions when I have back seat riders. +1 for pano roof
2. Glare on the screen. I noticed it when test driving a car without the pano roof v. one with the pano roof, and it was worse when the roof was open. -1 for pano roof
3. Temperature in summer. It does get quite hot in chicago in July/August. Website says it blocks 81% of heat. I hate heat. -1 for pano roof
4. Temperature in winter. Less concerned about it being a little cooler at the top of the car, but don't want cold air being pushed into the back seat as may have been experienced by AO. +0 for pano
5. Spring, summer and fall drives with the roof open. +1 for pano
6. Mechanical issues with opening the roof. Thought I read an issue with that. -1 for pano based on perception of reality
7. Whistling or other noises with pano open when driving. If this is at 65 mph, ok. If this is at 30 mph, -1 for pano.
8. Only way to get a roof rack? Every car I've seen in the stores with a pano roof has latches for a potential roof rack. Every car I've seen without one doesn't appear to have anything there. +1 for pano?

Any comments would be appreciated. Any misconceptions dispatched would be great too.

Last edited:
Roof rack requires pano roof - the threaded studs for holding it are built into the window unit.

The "whistling" -- in my car it's more like a buffetting -- is present when the roof is 100% open and at high speeds (> 50 mph or so). There is a "comfort" setting (80%) which is the best position if you want it open during high speed driving. A whistle can be heard when the window is at the vent position as well during high speeds.

True. I've lived here long enough to know it gets a lot colder (and to repair pipes in my basement a few times), but 20-30 is the average in the winter. (And if you include last year, higher. :()

There is one thing delaying the finalization of my Model S, and it's the pano roof. I haven't been able to follow-up with everything on this board, but these are my concerns with the pano roof:

1. Head room. Not so much for myself, but for those occasions when I have back seat riders. +1 for pano roof
2. Glare on the screen. I noticed it when test driving a car without the pano roof v. one with the pano roof, and it was worse when the roof was open. -1 for pano roof
3. Temperature in summer. It does get quite hot in chicago in July/August. Website says it blocks 81% of heat. I hate heat. -1 for pano roof
4. Temperature in winter. Less concerned about it being a little cooler at the top of the car, but don't want cold air being pushed into the back seat as may have been experienced by AO. +0 for pano
5. Spring, summer and fall drives with the roof open. +1 for pano
6. Mechanical issues with opening the roof. Thought I read an issue with that. -1 for pano based on perception of reality
7. Whistling or other noises with pano open when driving. If this is at 65 mph, ok. If this is at 30 mph, -1 for pano.
8. Only way to get a roof rack? Every car I've seen in the stores with a pano roof has latches for a potential roof rack. Every car I've seen without one doesn't appear to have anything there. +1 for pano?

Any comments would be appreciated. Any misconceptions dispatched would be great too.

Of course, remember a few years ago (Feb '09 maybe?) where we had an entire week that never got above 0°F, day or night? The coldest I remember it getting during that week was -40°F (I remember because that's where the F/C scales cross, and it was such a novelty). After placing my order, I thought back to that year and wondered how the Model S would have performed during that week, since it is borderline on the operating envelope of the car.

At any rate, unless you're willing to put more weight on the positives, it sounds like you're at -1 for a pano roof. I factored most of what you are thinking into my decision, but changed the values. Since the Model S will be my daily driver, most of the time I will be alone in the vehicle. If my kids are back there and are cold, they can put on a coat. I'm a scrooge with the house thermostat, so they're used to layers. I used to own a convertible, and really miss spring/summer/fall top-down days. I am also 76" tall and found the non-pano vehicle uncomfortable in the back.

One consideration that is an unknown variable is the shade for the pano roof. It might make enough of a difference to sway #2, 3, and 4 to either +1s or zeros. If luck is on your side, Tesla will have released their solution by the time you order your vehicle.

FlasherZ/PattyChuck -- Thanks.

I do remember that stretch of subfreezing whether in 2009. Doozie. I imagine just about every car having potential trouble in that weather!

I'm leaning toward the pano roof, even though my scoring nets a negative. There's an emotional factor that plays a roll in getting it. I suppose I just want to be prepared for the negatives so I'm not disappointed.

Think the pano roof also adds a design feature +1, especially on white, maybe silver body cars.

You might also consider a fashionable Tesla knit cap for those lovely Chicago winter days :tongue:, although the trend in Chicago certainly has been climate changed to the warm side

non-pano vehicle uncomfortable in the back

I am also 76" tall and found the non-pano vehicle uncomfortable in the back.

Can you tell me if the non-pano roof has more, the same or less headroom that the pano roof????? How much

- - - Updated - - -

How much headroom do you think you lose in the front and the back with the pano? Any idea? Any measurements? Headroom is a big deal for me in the front, not so much in the back.

How much headroom do you think you lose in the front and the back with the pano? Any idea? Any measurements? Headroom is a big deal for me in the front, not so much in the back.

I didn't make any formal measurements. When sitting fully erect, my head basically touched the ceiling when sitting in the backseat. However when sitting fully erect in the car with the pano roof, I had approximately 2 inches of clearance. This was measured with my thumb and index finger, more or less.

Sent via Tapatalk.