Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S on Top Gear?

Model S on Top Gear?

I'm wondering whether Tesla should hand over a Model S to Top Gear or not. There is obviously bad blood after the whole Roadster kerfuffle, but with the raft of awards the S is getting it may inoculate them from Top Gear making stuff up about the car. What do you think?

Model Sig 304, VIN 542 Arnold Panz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fairman View Post
    I'm wondering whether Tesla should hand over a Model S to Top Gear or not. There is obviously bad blood after the whole Roadster kerfuffle, but with the raft of awards the S is getting it may inoculate them from Top Gear making stuff up about the car. What do you think?
    "Kerfuffle"?! That's a nice way to describe a lawsuit that I'm sure cost both parties a pretty penny.

The only reason for Tesla to subject itself to these idiots and charlatans again is if they needed to sell cars. As Elon has repeatedly stated, they have a supply problem, not a demand problem. If in a year or two they find themselves without reservations then they should perhaps consider it, but I see very little upside for Tesla giving Top Gear a Model S to review when their entire argument during the lawsuit was that these guys are frauds and make stuff up. It's not quite as credible as winning an award from MT, Automobile Magazine, Yahoo! Autos etc. I don't think a positive review on Top Gear is going to add a lick of credibility for Tesla.

Since Top Gear is scripted, if I were Tesla I would just demand script approval. I don't think it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by richkae View Post
    Since Top Gear is scripted, if I were Tesla I would just demand script approval. I don't think it will happen.
    Good one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    PLEASE NOTE: The posts are copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent.

Items for Sale
    My view is that Tesla should tell the Top Gear clowns to shove it. If they want to review a Model S they should place a reservation and stand in line behind the rest of us.

It's about THIS car. Al Sherman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artsci View Post
    My view is that Tesla should tell the Top Gear clowns to shove it. If they want to review a Model S they should place a reservation and stand in line behind the rest of us.
    Me too. No need to hold grudges, but: "fool me once..."
    Al Sherman Model S/P14,835 Model X/P1950 (for the wife)
    Retired Aviator VIN: 6283 Delivery 3/12/13

I love the show unlike many here and I wouldn't be surprised to see Top Gear get a hold of a Model S and do something similar (run it out of juice, or at least pretend to).

Hopefully at least TG USA gets a car to have fun with.

FYI There have already been threads on this.

Here's one: Will Season 19 of Top Gear feature a Performance Model S?
    2013 Tesla Model S P85: 12.417 @ 111.570 MPH

Performance 85kWh, custom 19" Forgestar c5fv wheels, white/black/CF, pano,sound,tech,twin chargers!

Sig X#1100 and X#1618 Discoducky's Avatar
    We've had heated discussions about this, but the basic consensus is that TM won't be working with BBC and Top Gear anytime soon. But they can't stop Jeremy from buying one and running it around their track. Personally, I would love to see the stig run it around. Especially if they race it against some other ICE cars like the M5 and A7. This kind of publicity is, IMHO, generally good for the brand all up. Everyone knows the show is scripted but at the end of the day the Lap Times are considered sacred and not manipulated.

Quote Originally Posted by richkae View Post
    Ha. Top Gear ... BBC ... Clarkson ... Script approval? (No offense - offence - to my UK brethren) but I am saying ... er ... NO.

Motor Week just did a review with a local owner's car.

Thread Information