Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FRT vs delivery dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DITB

Charged.hk co-founder
Nov 13, 2012
Hong Kong
Unfortunately I have been unable to fork out for the Signature, but finally signed on to the standard model. I have reservation number 114 and I am looking forward in excitement to whether or not I will get my Tesla S before the FRT exemption expires.

I suppose it is too early to know about it, but if anyone here has a clue to my chances, please spill your beans.

Also, any insight to whether or not it is plausible that the FRT exemption will be extended beyond April 2014?

Thank you,

114 (HK)

67 views but the silence is deafening.

Sure I can wait for the car, but what impact would FRT have on a non-signature S, with options like tech package, glass roof, largest battery, air suspension ... if you can get all these options anyway?

I heard the S Signature Performance with all the popular options is likely to be just around 1M HKD with no FRT, but 2M HKD if FRT had to be paid. The difference for a non-Signature is hopefully less, as chances are it WILL incur FRT.

First Registration Tax in Hong Kong. I think the Hong Kong government will extend the exemption, otherwise, the 1000-plus charging parking space will remain occupied by ICE cars. If they don't extend the exemption, a Nissan Leaf will cost over hk$700,000 (us$89K) in Hong Kong. I think even less people will consider a EV.

What is FRT???

Thank you for your replies :)

It sounds reassuring and makes sense (not that everything in HK makes sense!)

I hope I will get the possibility of buying a Tesla model S some time during 2014, whether before or after April - but WITHOUT FRT thanks ...

Now I am Signature #28 in HK (upgraded from standard #52), but if hk price is too high (say over $1 mil hkd for a non-performance Signature), I will cancel the Signature order and just get a 40 kwh one. if this is the case, sequence number will be at least 150 something.

Thank you for your replies :)

It sounds reassuring and makes sense (not that everything in HK makes sense!)

I hope I will get the possibility of buying a Tesla model S some time during 2014, whether before or after April - but WITHOUT FRT thanks ...

Hi sonywong. When is your estimated delivery date? I noticed the site now says Winter 2013 for all Model S deliveries and if I try upgrade to a signature via My Tesla, delivery is early 2014.

Which site u saw that info? Tesla still haven't told reservation holders in hk about delivery schedule (they just say 2H 2013). but i think Signature should be available before regular version in all markets.

I too am concerned about the 0% FRT. Hybrids get a break, but not 0%.

Latest I heard is that Signature deliveries in HK will start later 2013, so that brings non-signature deliveries (particularly 60kWh or 40kWh) perilously close to the deadline.

That said, there is just no news, and I wouldn't expect any. Government is notoriously tight-lipped about budget matters. I think the decision will largely be made on how many EVs are on the road, and how 'politically beneficial' it is to continue to promote them.

My concern is that Nissan is clearly abusing the FRT exemption - taking the money for themselves. Cases like that are not going to make the 0% FRT exemption for EVs popular. If Tesla stay true to their word, and don't hike the price, it will be the first EV manufacturer to do so here.

It previously said deliveries begin 2H 2013 so it sounds like a 6 month delay.

https://www.teslamotors.com/en_HK/own#/model-s

MODEL S
Deliveries begin Winter 2013

MODEL S SIGNATURE

If I try to upgrade my reservation to a sig it says:

"Upgrade to Model S Signature and you’ll be one of the first to take delivery.

Model S Signature begins delivery in early 2014."

Quite conflicting information there...

Oh, when I upgraded my reservation, it didn't say that. You better call Tesla people in HK if you are considering an upgrade.

It previously said deliveries begin 2H 2013 so it sounds like a 6 month delay.

https://www.teslamotors.com/en_HK/own#/model-s

MODEL S

MODEL S SIGNATURE

If I try to upgrade my reservation to a sig it says:

"Upgrade to Model S Signature and you’ll be one of the first to take delivery.

Model S Signature begins delivery in early 2014."

Quite conflicting information there...