Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Event: "Basingstoke: Please don't buy an electric car!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you hit the highlights now in summary form so us Yankees don't have to use our frequent flyer miles?
Al
Summary form?
It's not happened yet! :) Jan 28.
I would like to be a fly on the wall.

6 members ... a lot of influence. :)

And the organizer is a ColdFusion developer.

CF is used a lot by the government (esp. in the USA) ... so I suspect CIA / MI6 involvement ... maybe SAS?

And, no, I am not paranoid ... nor a conspiracy theorist ... am I?

Thanks. What are our short but sweet (suggested) responses to these people when they annoy us?
Grid: Nearly all charing is done at night. Tons of spare capacity at night since businesses aren't running, less A/C needs, etc. There's a report from the US grid operators association that says we can have 150 million EV's charging at night w/o doing anything to the grid.

Coal: Depends on where you live. Here in NorCal we are 24% coal worst case. I say worst case because it's 1% coal and 23% "unknown/imported/other" So even assuming all of that is coal which it probably isn't. EV's are WAY better than ICE's or hybrids at 24% coal. I can't recall the cutover coal %. Also keep in mind that EV's are more efficient so even if you're burning coal you're burning way less to get you down the road than an ICE has to burn gas. Finally, the future of oil is dirtier and dirtier. We are drilling deeper, fracking, going after more sour crude, etc. See Deepwater Horizon. The energy return from something like the tar sands in Canada is almost 0. It takes as much energy to separate the oil from the sand as you get out of the oil. Whereas the future of electricity is cleaner and cleaner. Yes there's still a lot of coal and nat gas but the percentage of coal has been dropping steadily. An EV is the only car you can buy that gets cleaner the longer you own it.

Hydrogen: Ask them where the hydrogen will come from. Hydrogen is not a source of energy, it's a transmission/storage medium. Today, effectively all hydrogen is "refined" from fossil fuels and nat gas so you're not much better off than driving a nat gas car. It takes a boatload of electricity to crack water so you might as well just put that electricity into an EV and use it to get yourself down the road.