Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2007 Sold Out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Straight from the Tesla Motors website:

Interested in reserving
a Tesla Roadster?

Tesla Motors has "sold out" of all of its 2007-1/2 model year Tesla Roadsters in less than four months. This reaffirms the public's interest in a vehicle that combines style and performance with environmental responsibility.

Tesla Motors will begin taking deposits very soon for its 2008 Tesla Roadster.

Actually I'm getting more excited about the 2008 Roadster.

Of course the 2007 1/2 Tesla would be cool to own sooner so as to effect change right away and the wow factor that will come with owning the car FIRSTwill be unparralleled , but a wise person once said, "Never buy version 1.0 of anything".

e

What I'm really interested in is a couple years down the road when these first vehicles go over the 100K mile mark and are in need of a new battery pack. I can see a used tesla in need of new batteries going for considerably less used, while also still being in good shape as the people who own these first cars are sure to baby them. The only problem is will anyone want to part ways with their roadster.

vfx said:
... but a wise person once said, "Never buy version 1.0 of anything".

I remember reading somewhere martin said: anyone buying the roadster knows the next year version will be improved, but he just cannot wait... :)

there is a lot of software in this car. i'm sure firmware updates will be awailable free of charge.

Jon wrote:
"It is my understanding that the 2008 model year will be the same as the 2007.5 model year (e.g. also v1.0)."

One assumes that Jon may have inside infomation with a car on order, but Tesla will surely find problems with a new company making a new car, made with a new drivetrain, a new transmission (already being reworked), new braking (for them), a new controller, etc, etc.

My Infiniti has heated seats with two heat settings.(I use them both all the time) Since Martin says that heat seating is terrifically efficient I would think that two settings is something they might want incorporate into Roadster 2.0. A simple addition to a 2008 car. I bet that many ideas from developers, test drivers, show attendies, and blog posters are worthy of inclusion into the car but are too late to implement.

Finding issues would be especially true of a car that is sold out before being driven more than 30 minutes by any more that a dozen people with a critical eye.

Once 270 cars get in the hands of drivers from 5 different worlds, feedback will add to the "to be changed/added/removed" list. The press will also have many public opinions that often become part of the zeitgeist.

e

Lotus have been known in the past (notably with the Esprit) for making minor changes and improvements to their cars on a year-by-year basis, rather than saving them all up for a "refresh" after 5 or 6 years the way the big car makers tend to. Whether that will be true of Tesla remains to be seen of course.

It would be nice if Tesla published their list of changed/added/removed items as well as feedback based on the 270 vehicles. This of course is a double-edge sword from various perspectives. It is also possible Tesla may have gathered data from EV1 owners and were pro-active in the roadster design. Even so, new sets of issues will always arise with version 1.0 or 5.0