Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S Caused an Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was heading north, and when I got to an intersection I was the 2nd car waiting to make a left turn. We were waiting for a gap in the southbound traffic to execute our left hand turns. Meanwhile there was a fancy Mercedes to the west heading east into the intersection. The Mercedes had a stop sign. I saw the driver of the Mercedes looking at my car as he was creeping into the intersection . Because he was gawking at my car which was at 2 o'clock position to him, he didn't see the biker heading south and was at his 9 o'clock position. He kept creeping into the intersection and clipped the back end of the biker. The biker fell and slid on his right buttock a good 3-4 yards burning through his biker tights and suffering a huge scrape on his right buttock. The Mercedes driver pulled over and called an ambulance. I don't think the biker was injured bad other than the nasty scrape he suffered.

I know the accident was not my fault directly, but indirectly I know my car had a role in the accident. I feel bad, but what can I do?

That's terrible. It's in no way your fault. Distracted driving is the #1 cause of accidents and that Merc driver allowed himself to be distracted by your car. You have a cool and beautiful car and can't control what someone else will do. Don't feel bad.

Spin it for a moment and consider that. Is it your responsibility to drive a drab boring car on the off chance that someone might not notice you and not cause an accident? Of course not. It was the Merc driver's responsibilty to control what he was doing. You can't control his distraction.

It's still a terrible thing to have happened in front of you but don't feel bad because you have an attention getting car.

I hope this is helpful.

I suppose if you had seen it coming (including the bike rider), there might have been two choices: to honk, or, if the Mercedes driver was seeing you (and not only the car), to point to the bike rider, to get attention there. Not sure if either might have helped.

I've been hit by cars twice while riding my bike. Both times were a similar scenario... The driver was not looking where he was going. Fortunately they were at a very low speed, so there were no injuries or damage.

I should have blamed that smoking hot girl walking in her bikini for running in to a wall.

Not really. Though a few close calls. Bottom line... Ain't your fault for the actions or in actions of others.

Well I feel bad mostly because I saw the whole thing and I know the biker is probably going to have a sucky holiday season trying to get around on a busted up buttock. And I'm sure the Mercedes driver feels really, really guilty.

After reflecting on the situation I thought to myself, "that's how it must feel to be a smoking hot girl." First time I ever remotely had that kind of feeling. Kind of funny that you thought the same thing.

After reflecting on the situation I thought to myself, "that's how it must feel to be a smoking hot girl." First time I ever remotely had that kind of feeling. Kind of funny that you thought the same thing.

LOL! Must have been a strange out of body type of experience. ;)

Glad to hear that nobody seemed to be seriously hurt.

Last edited:
I also caused an accident yesterday. I was pulling out of a parking lot, and a guy was looking at me, not the stopped car in front of him, and BOOM. I hopped out to make sure everyone was ok. The guy who did the rear-ending said he was fine and then started walking around my car, looking at it. The driver who got hit was much less interested in my car...

Although she didn't hurt any people, including herself, my wife may have just been involved in the first Model S-caused animal fatality.

She ran over a rabbit as she was backing down our driveway. (I was in the car with her; she was looking backwards and I was watching the rear-view camera; but we had no clue until we felt the thump. I think it ran under the car from the side and got hit by the front tire).

Mind you, this was probably the rabbit that ate all of her baby pumpkins last Spring, so she's a little conflicted about the whole thing. But mostly sad.

Last edited: